Sponsored by:

Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Marino84
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Video again Money.
really enjoying what your posting. keep it up!

btw, I think that color combo with yellow brakes looks best on the GT3.
and that sound ... just beautiful.

Mine arrives next week
Old 01-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Matt, that was a great video! Entertaining commentary and step by step look at the DIY and I loved it when your "helper" showed up. I found myself talking to the computer screen offering encouragement as you were going through the process. I sympathized with you on the tight working space. The JP stands get the car up a little higher and make things a little more comfortable. BTW, thanks a lot for the shout out, although you took the whole exercise to a different level.

Someone else had an issue getting the engine tray off even after removing the 11 screws and contacted me about it (sorry I can't recall who, was it you Rob?). Anyway, my tray did not have those retaining pieces, so I had no trouble removing it, and that's why there is no mention of them in my write up. My suspicion is that when my engine was replaced at the port by the Porsche techs, they didn't bother reinstalling the retainers if they were even there in the first place. I think they are only there to hold the tray so it doesn't just drop after the screws are removed. It's supposed to be a convenience but ends up being a PITA. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with it and next time you won't either.

I'm surprised Suncoast is still including the green O-ring in their kit as I had a couple of conversations with them about it and I thought they were going to leave it out which is why, to avoid confusion, I didn't mention it in the DIY. There was no O-ring on my replacement engine's filter and I've never seen an O-ring used with a spin on filter. There's also no mention of it in the workshop manual procedure although it shows up on the parts diagram. In any event, I left it off as well.

I noticed that you drained oil from both plugs in the sump. The workshop procedure only specifies removing the forward drain plug, and it's low enough in the pan that it should drain all the oil, but both plugs can obviously be removed and it might ensure getting the last couple of ounces of old oil. Also no grief from me about using a torque wrench on the plugs. I do it by feel also. It makes me nervous to use a long wrench with that much potential leverage on a plug in an aluminum casting. Maybe I need a newer torque wrench.

FWIW, I've amended my original DIY to add the info about the retaining clips and the O-ring.

I really enjoyed watching that and thanks for taking the time to do it. And I love your garage.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-10-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:45 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for sharing. It was very relaxing watching you and your son in action. You made it look so easy. Car and garage looks great. Makes me wanna change oil now
Old 01-10-2015, 02:03 AM
NewtownGT3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great video Money!!! My father was a mechanic & had his own shop for many years when I was little.....watching you & your son brought back what few good memories I have of him!!! Thanks & keep the vids coming.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:29 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

theres that dam O Ring again Mike!!!
Old 01-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by kosmo
theres that dam O Ring again Mike!!!
Yeah, kosmo, it keeps showing up!

The fact that it's not referred to in the Porsche workshop manual oil change procedure, not to mention it being absent on the existing filter from the factory, has convinced me it's unnecessary. Maybe it will come in handy for something, someday...
Old 01-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Matt, that was a great video! Entertaining commentary and step by step look at the DIY and I loved it when your "helper" showed up. I found myself talking to the computer screen offering encouragement as you were going through the process. I sympathized with you on the tight working space. The JP stands get the car up a little higher and make things a little more comfortable. BTW, thanks a lot for the shout out, although you took the whole exercise to a different level.

Someone else had an issue getting the engine tray off even after removing the 11 screws and contacted me about it (sorry I can't recall who, was it you Rob?). Anyway, my tray did not have those retaining pieces, so I had no trouble removing it, and that's why there is no mention of them in my write up. My suspicion is that when my engine was replaced at the port by the Porsche techs, they didn't bother reinstalling the retainers if they were even there in the first place. I think they are only there to hold the tray so it doesn't just drop after the screws are removed. It's supposed to be a convenience but ends up being a PITA. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with it and next time you won't either.

I'm surprised Suncoast is still including the green O-ring in their kit as I had a couple of conversations with them about it and I thought they were going to leave it out which is why, to avoid confusion, I didn't mention it in the DIY. There was no O-ring on my replacement engine's filter and I've never seen an O-ring used with a spin on filter. There's also no mention of it in the workshop manual procedure although it shows up on the parts diagram. In any event, I left it off as well.

I noticed that you drained oil from both plugs in the sump. The workshop procedure only specifies removing the forward drain plug, and it's low enough in the pan that it should drain all the oil, but both plugs can obviously be removed and it might ensure getting the last couple of ounces of old oil. Also no grief from me about using a torque wrench on the plugs. I do it by feel also. It makes me nervous to use a long wrench with that much potential leverage on a plug in an aluminum casting. Maybe I need a newer torque wrench.

FWIW, I've amended my original DIY to add the info about the retaining clips and the O-ring.

I really enjoyed watching that and thanks for taking the time to do it. And I love your garage.....

Thanks for all of your help Mike! Without guys like you on the forum, goofs like me can't work on their own car.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Old 01-11-2015, 09:30 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine had those retaining clips. If your not careful, they will snap off. That said, they are going in the trash next oil change. They do nothing, but add a level of frustration.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Mine had those retaining clips. If your not careful, they will snap off. That said, they are going in the trash next oil change. They do nothing, but add a level of frustration.
I can't be the only one without them....

Just as general info to others, note the holes adjacent to the middle grommets on each side of the tray in the pic below. doubleurx, Money, and others had some kind of retaining clip in those holes which did not allow the tray to fall free after removing the 11 Torx screws. The holes in my tray were blank as shown.
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2015, 09:55 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I can't be the only one without them.... Just as general info to others, note the holes adjacent to the middle grommets on each side of the tray in the pic below. doubleurx, Money, and others had some kind of retaining clip in those holes which did not allow the tray to fall free after removing the 11 Torx screws. Mine were blank as shown.
I'll bet with the motor change they were left out. The only convenience they provide, is you can remove all the screws, and slowly remove the clips to drop the pan. They are wimpy though, so I see them breaking easily at some point. I won't be reusing them next time.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Money2536
Race Car

I got my last two Griot's shelves on Friday and mounted them last night to complete the relocation of the "Detailing Wall." I still need to find something simple and unique to fit down the center of the shelves.

Cabinets should be here Monday or Tuesday. The hard part is going to be working all week to actually pay for them.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:42 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Money, hopefully you used a level on those shelves. Looks great as expected. Job well done.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:49 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I got my last two Griot's shelves on Friday and mounted them last night to complete the relocation of the "Detailing Wall." I still need to find something simple and unique to fit down the center of the shelves.

Cabinets should be here Monday or Tuesday. The hard part is going to be working all week to actually pay for them.

that is insane.. better than any detail shop or store ive seen.. u must love to clear the cars! or in the business
Old 01-12-2015, 04:08 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Matt... Thanks for the video. Very informative. Thank you

Your little helper reminds a lot of mine. It just shows how great dad you are. God bless you.

Regarding the retaining clip on your engine cover, my car did not have them similar to Mike and I suspect they were removed during engine swap.

You have a great looking garage. Best I have seen. Where did you buy these shelves from?

Finally regarding the green oil filter O ring, I have read few posts on the Rennlist of guys complaining about finding remains of broken up green O ring stuck inside their oil filter. I just wonder if it is the same O ring you decided not to use. I am going to look up again these posts and will post a link to them, so hopefully someone can shed some light about this mysterious green o'ring. Mark

Last edited by mqandil; 01-12-2015 at 04:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal