991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Discouraged Sport Bucket Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

So what do we know about the bucket seats? Is adjustability of height or overall tilt of the seat confirmed? Do they have integrated airbags?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:03 AM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
So what do we know about the bucket seats? Is adjustability of height or overall tilt of the seat confirmed? Do they have integrated airbags?
Exact quote from my dealer (just asked this yesterday);

"Lightweight racing seats with folding backrest, integrated thorax airbag and manual fore/aft adjustment. Seat shell made from glass-/carbon-fibre reinforced plastic with carbon-weave finish, seat in Black leather with seat centre in Alcantara Black, headrest with "GT3" logo in Platinum Grey. Note: child seats must not be used with the sports bucket seats."
Old 09-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

^ Sounds like it may be similar to the 918 seat, but with cost reductions such as no electric height adjustment.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:39 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by bhf_clt

"Lightweight racing seats with folding backrest, integrated thorax airbag and manual fore/aft adjustment. Seat shell made from glass-/carbon-fibre reinforced plastic with carbon-weave finish, seat in Black leather with seat centre in Alcantara Black, headrest with "GT3" logo in Platinum Grey. Note: child seats must not be used with the sports bucket seats."
This will be interesting as I was told otherwise from my dealer....Also not sure if it is just semantics but the seats are not Lightweight Racing Seats", they are "Lightweight Bucket Seats"..... The pics on the configurator also show a fixed seat....
Old 09-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bhf_clt

^ Sounds like it may be similar to the 918 seat, but with cost reductions such as no electric height adjustment.
Some of what dealer said above is incorrect information. First part describes older 997/987 era 'gt2' sport bucket seat.

Here is what will be for here in US for Porsche 918-type sport bucket seats, at the very least:

1) Yes to integrated thorax airbags. Like in the 918. That is mandated by US code.

2) No folding mechanism by design, like in the 918.

3) Manual fore/aft adjustment, like in the 918.

4) Adjustability of height expected (on driver's seat). Tilting expected (on driver's side - maybe). The latter two functions might also be currently mandated by US DOT for driver's seat. For reasons of safety (increased visibility). We just don't have confirmation from an authoritative source at present. Note that driver's seat electric height adjustment is standard on all 918 worldwide and optional on passenger seat for ROW, except for US where it's not yet approved for the passenger seat. That is probably due to placement of dash frontal airbags - on passenger side - on that particular model (my theory).

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...3-website.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ket-seats.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 09-10-2014, 11:51 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Unless you are going to track the car all the time, why wouldn't you order the sport seat and 1 lightweight bucket for track events? Seems like a lot of risk you won't like them. When we did the 918 event several of the "bigger'" guys didn't fit in them.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:52 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't seen the buckets, but looking at the pictures on page 2, my 18 way seats without memory looks way better. The white stripes on the seat look cheesy. They may look better in person. IDK.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:58 AM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Some of what dealer said above is incorrect information. First part describes older 997/987 era 'gt2' sport bucket seat.

Here is what will be for here in US for Porsche 918-type sport bucket seats, at the very least:

1) Yes to integrated thorax airbags. Like in the 918. That is mandated by US code.

2) No folding mechanism by design, like in the 918.

3) Manual fore/aft adjustment, like in the 918.

4) Adjustability of height expected (on driver's seat). Tilting expected (on driver's side - maybe). The latter two functions might also be currently mandated by US DOT for driver's seat. For reasons of safety (increased visibility). We just don't have confirmation from an authoritative source at present. Note that driver's seat electric height adjustment is standard on all 918 worldwide and optional on passenger seat for ROW, except for US where it's not yet approved for the passenger seat. That is probably due to placement of dash frontal airbags - on passenger side - on that particular model (my theory).

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...3-website.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ket-seats.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Just passing along what was conveyed to me by the dealer. Not guaranteeing its accuracy.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:58 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
Unless you are going to track the car all the time, why wouldn't you order the sport seat and 1 lightweight bucket for track events?
A better question might be: "Why wouldn't you track a car like this?" , therefore, why wouldn't you get the buckets?

If the car is going to be a DD, I can be convinced the sofa seats are the way to go. For everything else, buckets are the best choice. Even if you never hit the track, weekend runs, back roads, etc, the buckets will be a better experience.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:15 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Even if you never hit the track, weekend runs, back roads, etc, the buckets will be a better experience.
^ this. A much better experience.
And if track and back-road drives will be minimal, then there are plenty of better, cushier cars for tootling around town and revving the engine between stop-lights.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:19 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Random thoughts:

- I think the only drawbacks of buckets are cost and egress/ingress. No problem if you are a Cirque du Soleil performer. But my joints are getting stiff in my advanced age. Ha.

- I don't think the market has changed that much for the 991 v. 997. The same debates/arguments/hand-wringing went on with the 997 GT3 buyers until buckets were released. Same uproar too.

- I own one of the defective (I mean 'storied') 2014 cars and unfortunately I cannot get buckets so I'm jelly of the 15 owners with them.

- I plan on using my $12k compensation check to muster a downpayment on them once available.

- Suncoast has the part numbers, but still unavailable. PAG originally said 'not intended for US market,' but now that they are in the configurator, that statement makes no sense. Seems PAG still suffers from communication problems. I talked with suncoast yesterday

- I hope the buckets aren't cut for skinny guys. I'm by no means a bodybuilder but a hard core powerlifting program has packed on 20 lbs and I'm still working my *** off in the gym.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:40 PM
zerosixtwofour
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 11 Posts

why would you say no to this?! these would be a great selling feature on a 2015 over a 2014
Old 09-10-2014, 12:49 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

^^ I agree but I'm going to dd and track the car.....the track is for fun but getting in and out on a daily basis will get old with the buckets.....I went with comfort and the 18 way seats.....
Old 09-10-2014, 01:07 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by zerosixtwofour
why would you say no to this?! these would be a great selling feature on a 2015 over a 2014
They look amazing!
Old 09-10-2014, 01:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnySD
I'm finalizing my options and my sales guy strongly recommends passing on the sport bucket seats.
Dealers always discourage interesting colors, Sunroof Delete, Sport Suspension and other items that vastly improve the enjoyment of the car and resale value to knowledgeable buyers.

Quick Reply: Dealer Discouraged Sport Bucket Seats?