Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R8 V10 v GT3 : anyone leaped from a R8 ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Yorkygt3
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R8 V10 v GT3 : anyone leaped from a R8 ??

Hi guys

I'm a UK poster who has just had confirmed Nov build. Had deposit down for 14 months. I plan to run my GT3 daily with about 2-3 track days a year, nothing serious.

Just really interested to know if any member jumped from R8 to 991 GT3. My own R8 has Larini exhaust and sounds totally mental, in a good way. Ive had Geo modified to reduce understeer but just a lovely place to be. Biggest let down is total lack of feel but otherwise a really great daily car.

Any experiences would be great. Shark werks already on my todo list !
Thanks
Old 08-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by Yorkygt3
Hi guys

I'm a UK poster who has just had confirmed Nov build. Had deposit down for 14 months. I plan to run my GT3 daily with about 2-3 track days a year, nothing serious.

Just really interested to know if any member jumped from R8 to 991 GT3. My own R8 has Larini exhaust and sounds totally mental, in a good way. Ive had Geo modified to reduce understeer but just a lovely place to be. Biggest let down is total lack of feel but otherwise a really great daily car.

Thanks
I've never owned one, but I have driven a friend's R8 V10 - it's a fantastic car. I think the raw experience and the manic revs of the GT3 topend will win you over, though.

I posted a video further down the forum 'Tire Testing' or something like that that shows a hot lap in the GT3 w/ a Sharkwerks bypass pipe - the volume is very tame at low revs and howls at the top end. The upshifts are pretty startling, too.

On handling, I think they nailed it with the GT3. Right out of the box it has a neutral balance. For two track days a year, I don't think you'll need to adjust the geo at all - tire will probably wear pretty even for you.

Even the stock Pagid pads are okay.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:20 PM
green
Pro

I have an R8V10 and love it, but the handling of the GT3 will be superior, and it will feel more like a purebred race car and less GT like.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 721 Likes on 394 Posts

Both are now great daily drivers.

Driving an R8 is more of an event. It attracts tons of attention. Great GT car, but heavy. Handling is a bit muted. Driving position could be better. The weight and AWD drive make understeer a problem. (The McLaren 12C is better in almost every way and now about the same price.)

The new GT3 is a much better street car than the prior versions. More compliant ride - not quite as good as a 12C, but not bad. Not as loud or raw as the prior versions either. You can actually have a conversation in the car! Handling precision is superior to the R8 or 12C. Around here they are pretty much ignored as just another Porsche. For me, that is a plus.

Depends on what you want. For a daily drivable supercar, get the R8 or even a 12C. (if you can deal with the constant attention they attract) For a superb handling road car that is a great occasional track weapon, the GT3 is hard to beat for the price. It is certainly the best 911 currently available.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Had both a 6mt v8 and v10 r8. Two of my favorite cars ever. Coupe and spyder.

The 991 gt3 will handle better/ be a better track car. The r8 is a better car for the street. Better looking (subjective) I know, but its just more exotic/rare looking. There is no other audi that looks like it...
And once you put an exhaust on the r8, its downright mean.

I dont know what your question is though. You will love the gt3., its a completely different experience than a r8, if thats what youre going for.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Yorkygt3
5th Gear

Thanks guys for great feedback. My R8 is okay on track (although exhaust makes it almost impossible!) but it's a brilliant road car. A two hour drive last weekend on North Yorkshire roads just made me laugh with joy. It was singing with that noisy V8 and I thought I got it flowing and dancing through the corners, I've dialled out most of the understeer.

In truth I'm only changing as had car 2 years and that deposit has come to fruition. My gut feeling is that I will miss the R8 but start getting track time in GT3. Anyone know DB after shark werks muffler mod? I cant go back to quiet car!!

My favourite car to date remains my M3 CSL, I hope GT3 matches its appeal.

Thanks for response, any more would be great. I look forward to contributing, I'm more active on pistonheads.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Yorkygt3
5th Gear

I meant noisy V10, maths clearly not my strength !!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,401 Likes on 726 Posts

Had an R8 V10 Spyder after trading in my 997.2 Turbo. Drove it for 5 months and pulled in to my Dealer and traded it in last July for the GT3. The R8 is an exotic looking car but I just find the Porsche design timeless and just love the style. The R8 has the best gated 6 speed I have ever rowed and it was just so linear the power. I found that it was a little numb in the steering, needed a little diet, and it was a little boring to drive because , in a way, it was just too perfect and it sort of drove itself. I need some thing more edgier and a little cranky- I am comparing this to my Turbo and my perception of what my GT3 will be like when pick it up on Sat. - more to come

I pick up my
Old 08-21-2014, 10:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,901 Likes on 4,823 Posts

If my order for the 991 GT3 falls through, then I'm thinking of leaping to the upcoming R8.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:55 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

That may end up being a lot of people switching to other brands if Porsche stops making ten GT3. I'm not waiting 2 more years.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:01 AM
myphillylawyer
Track Day

Default R8 & GT3

I am waiting for the delivery of my GT3 due in October. In the meantime I own a 2011 R8 V10 spyder with six speed that has the sTasis Challenge Extreme package. While I hope and believe my GT3 will be a blast to drive I don't think it will cause me to sell my R8. I imagine that the R8 is a bit softer but way faster than the GT3.

The R8 has been dyno'd at over 720HP! The acceleration of the R8 is motorcycle-like. The torque is extraordinary at all speeds. It handles flat and amazing (though as I have said a bit soft in the turns). It truly is a car that cannot be replicated. When I feel like a manual trans it's my go to car. I've driven it for over two years and it still makes me giggle like a school girl when I dip into the right pedal. I wish I could share the experience with every car crazed enthusiast who has never felt that sort of adrenaline rush.

My car is numbered car #8. The eighth car that sTasis built with this package worldwide.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

myphillylawyer. Its sounds like a beast. But its like comparing a 991 GT3 to a 991 GT3 RS with a turbo strapped to it! What you have is a highly modified (and expensive) street legal R8 hot rod and what we have is an "out of the box" factory 991 GT3!
Old 08-22-2014, 03:31 AM
Arth
Racer

Originally Posted by Yorkygt3
Hi guys

Thanks
I came from and R8.

Took it to the track twice during my 1 and a half year ownership experience. Understeered like a shopping trolly and started over heating after 4 laps. She was also very heavy compared to my previous caymanS.

Went home and put her up for sale and ordered the gt3. It's in a different league.

If you want to be a famous superstar (yes even in dubai) and have a great GT car for the daily use , the R8 is amazing.

If you want a true weapon on track but that's less Comfy on the roads and just less of a daily driver then get the GT3.

This being said, if i ever decide that I'm don't with tracking I will be buying the next generation R8. Great car

Quick Reply: R8 V10 v GT3 : anyone leaped from a R8 ??