Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   R8 V10 v GT3 : anyone leaped from a R8 ?? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/830234-r8-v10-v-gt3-anyone-leaped-from-a-r8.html)

Yorkygt3 08-21-2014 04:19 PM

R8 V10 v GT3 : anyone leaped from a R8 ??

Hi guys

I'm a UK poster who has just had confirmed Nov build. Had deposit down for 14 months. I plan to run my GT3 daily with about 2-3 track days a year, nothing serious.

Just really interested to know if any member jumped from R8 to 991 GT3. My own R8 has Larini exhaust and sounds totally mental, in a good way. Ive had Geo modified to reduce understeer but just a lovely place to be. Biggest let down is total lack of feel but otherwise a really great daily car.

Any experiences would be great. Shark werks already on my todo list !
Thanks

Dan39 08-21-2014 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yorkygt3 (Post 11592076)
Hi guys

I'm a UK poster who has just had confirmed Nov build. Had deposit down for 14 months. I plan to run my GT3 daily with about 2-3 track days a year, nothing serious.

Just really interested to know if any member jumped from R8 to 991 GT3. My own R8 has Larini exhaust and sounds totally mental, in a good way. Ive had Geo modified to reduce understeer but just a lovely place to be. Biggest let down is total lack of feel but otherwise a really great daily car.

Thanks

I've never owned one, but I have driven a friend's R8 V10 - it's a fantastic car. I think the raw experience and the manic revs of the GT3 topend will win you over, though.

I posted a video further down the forum 'Tire Testing' or something like that that shows a hot lap in the GT3 w/ a Sharkwerks bypass pipe - the volume is very tame at low revs and howls at the top end. The upshifts are pretty startling, too.

On handling, I think they nailed it with the GT3. Right out of the box it has a neutral balance. For two track days a year, I don't think you'll need to adjust the geo at all - tire will probably wear pretty even for you.

Even the stock Pagid pads are okay.

green 08-21-2014 05:20 PM

I have an R8V10 and love it, but the handling of the GT3 will be superior, and it will feel more like a purebred race car and less GT like.

Dr.Bill 08-21-2014 05:52 PM

Both are now great daily drivers.

Driving an R8 is more of an event. It attracts tons of attention. Great GT car, but heavy. Handling is a bit muted. Driving position could be better. The weight and AWD drive make understeer a problem. (The McLaren 12C is better in almost every way and now about the same price.)

The new GT3 is a much better street car than the prior versions. More compliant ride - not quite as good as a 12C, but not bad. Not as loud or raw as the prior versions either. You can actually have a conversation in the car! Handling precision is superior to the R8 or 12C. Around here they are pretty much ignored as just another Porsche. For me, that is a plus.

Depends on what you want. For a daily drivable supercar, get the R8 or even a 12C. (if you can deal with the constant attention they attract) For a superb handling road car that is a great occasional track weapon, the GT3 is hard to beat for the price. It is certainly the best 911 currently available.

lumber 08-21-2014 05:53 PM

Had both a 6mt v8 and v10 r8. Two of my favorite cars ever. Coupe and spyder.

The 991 gt3 will handle better/ be a better track car. The r8 is a better car for the street. Better looking (subjective) I know, but its just more exotic/rare looking. There is no other audi that looks like it...
And once you put an exhaust on the r8, its downright mean.

I dont know what your question is though. You will love the gt3., its a completely different experience than a r8, if thats what youre going for.

Yorkygt3 08-21-2014 06:17 PM

Thanks guys for great feedback. My R8 is okay on track (although exhaust makes it almost impossible!) but it's a brilliant road car. A two hour drive last weekend on North Yorkshire roads just made me laugh with joy. It was singing with that noisy V8 and I thought I got it flowing and dancing through the corners, I've dialled out most of the understeer.

In truth I'm only changing as had car 2 years and that deposit has come to fruition. My gut feeling is that I will miss the R8 but start getting track time in GT3. Anyone know DB after shark werks muffler mod? I cant go back to quiet car!!

My favourite car to date remains my M3 CSL, I hope GT3 matches its appeal.

Thanks for response, any more would be great. I look forward to contributing, I'm more active on pistonheads.

Yorkygt3 08-21-2014 06:18 PM

I meant noisy V10, maths clearly not my strength !!

Jimmy-D 08-21-2014 07:44 PM

Had an R8 V10 Spyder after trading in my 997.2 Turbo. Drove it for 5 months and pulled in to my Dealer and traded it in last July for the GT3. The R8 is an exotic looking car but I just find the Porsche design timeless and just love the style. The R8 has the best gated 6 speed I have ever rowed and it was just so linear the power. I found that it was a little numb in the steering, needed a little diet, and it was a little boring to drive because , in a way, it was just too perfect and it sort of drove itself. I need some thing more edgier and a little cranky- I am comparing this to my Turbo and my perception of what my GT3 will be like when pick it up on Sat. - more to come

I pick up my

ipse dixit 08-21-2014 10:37 PM

If my order for the 991 GT3 falls through, then I'm thinking of leaping to the upcoming R8.

MayorAdamWest 08-22-2014 12:55 AM

That may end up being a lot of people switching to other brands if Porsche stops making ten GT3. I'm not waiting 2 more years.

myphillylawyer 08-22-2014 01:01 AM

R8 & GT3

I am waiting for the delivery of my GT3 due in October. In the meantime I own a 2011 R8 V10 spyder with six speed that has the sTasis Challenge Extreme package. While I hope and believe my GT3 will be a blast to drive I don't think it will cause me to sell my R8. I imagine that the R8 is a bit softer but way faster than the GT3.

The R8 has been dyno'd at over 720HP! The acceleration of the R8 is motorcycle-like. The torque is extraordinary at all speeds. It handles flat and amazing (though as I have said a bit soft in the turns). It truly is a car that cannot be replicated. When I feel like a manual trans it's my go to car. I've driven it for over two years and it still makes me giggle like a school girl when I dip into the right pedal. I wish I could share the experience with every car crazed enthusiast who has never felt that sort of adrenaline rush.

My car is numbered car #8. The eighth car that sTasis built with this package worldwide.

Macca 08-22-2014 01:31 AM

myphillylawyer. Its sounds like a beast. But its like comparing a 991 GT3 to a 991 GT3 RS with a turbo strapped to it! What you have is a highly modified (and expensive) street legal R8 hot rod and what we have is an "out of the box" factory 991 GT3!

Arth 08-22-2014 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Yorkygt3 (Post 11592076)
Hi guys

Thanks

I came from and R8.

Took it to the track twice during my 1 and a half year ownership experience. Understeered like a shopping trolly and started over heating after 4 laps. She was also very heavy compared to my previous caymanS.

Went home and put her up for sale and ordered the gt3. It's in a different league.

If you want to be a famous superstar (yes even in dubai) and have a great GT car for the daily use , the R8 is amazing.

If you want a true weapon on track but that's less Comfy on the roads and just less of a daily driver then get the GT3.

This being said, if i ever decide that I'm don't with tracking I will be buying the next generation R8. Great car