Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more PTS this year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:05 PM
10RMV
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, really irritating. Considering the upcharge, you would think they would make sure they had the capacity to deliver the options they are offering. Thing is, if it were a turbo or something, they probably would slide it to the right and get it done, so maybe this is just another indication that there won't be any more 991.1 GT3s after February 2015.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The PTS drama and frustrations continue. I received this email from my dealer today. This, after being absolutely assured that I had a PTS slot. This is a Porsche Premier dealer who knows that they are doing and my allocation was added late directly by someone at PCNA that I know. I am including here simply because I assume it will help others that are trying to monitor this situation.

"I know that you are considering a paint-to-sample (PTS) color and I just learned that Porsche may have closed the window on PTS for a period of time on the GT3. In conversation with one of my sales peers, he mentioned that he received an email from Porsche’s design center yesterday regarding his existing PTS order and that Porsche was discontinuing PTS on GT3 models until the February timeframe. I am investigating this now and will update you as I have more information."
Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

mrsullivan. That seems consistent with other peoples PTS experience on here.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:52 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macca
mrsullivan. That seems consistent with other peoples PTS experience on here.
yes...

white it is I guess... my blue thread was fun nonetheless :-)
Old 08-30-2014, 12:17 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 192 Posts

Get over it guys. PTS is a frivolous waste of money. It's still the same car despite the color.

FWIW, I did a special order color on a car once and it resulted in two things:
1. I was ridiculously paranoid of paint damage because I feared the dealership wouldn't be able to match it
2. The color ended up becoming a standard color on the car making my "investment" worthless in terms of resale advantage.

Go with a standard color, they all look good on the GT3.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:51 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Get over it guys. PTS is a frivolous waste of money. It's still the same car despite the color.
I am trying. So far ten sessions with a psychiatrist...but I just doesn't seem to work. I still want PTS...badly! Yes, its a frivolous sum of money...but you can't take it with you, right? You don't want to leave too much to the kids, it'll spoil them rotten!

By the way Ranger can you contact each of the following PTS .2 997 gt3 RS LE 4.0 owners & convince them that the PTS on their cars doesn't make it worth a penny more? We all would be grateful if you would do that for us.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images        

Last edited by Z356; 08-30-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:09 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Eduardo, Jenny and I LOL'd at your post. You need a better psychiatrist! Better yet, a PTS GT3 or GT3RS!
Old 08-30-2014, 01:36 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
The PTS drama and frustrations continue. I received this email from my dealer today. This, after being absolutely assured that I had a PTS slot. This is a Porsche Premier dealer who knows that they are doing and my allocation was added late directly by someone at PCNA that I know. I am including here simply because I assume it will help others that are trying to monitor this situation.

"I know that you are considering a paint-to-sample (PTS) color and I just learned that Porsche may have closed the window on PTS for a period of time on the GT3. In conversation with one of my sales peers, he mentioned that he received an email from Porsche’s design center yesterday regarding his existing PTS order and that Porsche was discontinuing PTS on GT3 models until the February timeframe. I am investigating this now and will update you as I have more information."
Yep, sounds all too familiar. I was supposedly moved from Nov to Feb and then told no more Feb PTS as there will be no more GT3 production. I went with yellow.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:02 AM
10RMV
Track Day

Originally Posted by ranger22

FWIW, I did a special order color on a car once and it resulted in two things:
1. I was ridiculously paranoid of paint damage because I feared the dealership wouldn't be able to match it
2. The color ended up becoming a standard color on the car making my "investment" worthless in terms of resale advantage.

Go with a standard color, they all look good on the GT3.
That's pretty much where I have ended up. I don't think it's a problem to match the paint, especially on the non metallics but it's only a colour in the end. I'm also not convinced that these classic blues etc look that comfortable with the really modern styling of the 991. Sure a Mexico Blue 993 looks great NOW but it could be 20 years before a similar colour 991 looks that good. Having said that if I could have gone PTS, I would have!

All those 997s posted above look stunning and I have seen the Mexico Blue one in the UK. Still, they are all RS cars and these colours somehow work better on the RS than the standard GT3 IMHO.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:23 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Well I have put in an email with PCNA to push on the issue a bit. The color I had decided on and submitted is Mexico Blue. Its barely PTS, they have plenty of it! I feel that it is the "safer" of the PTS colors that I wont tire of, and some day resale. I sort of agree with the notion that the REALLY brighter PTS colors probably look a bit better on the RS cars (signal yellow, signal, green, birch, orange, etc.). But I have seen 911s and boxsters with the Mexico Blue, I feel that it has been tested on the modern platforms and looks good.

I'm not giving up quite yet. White will be my backup position, then just need to decide about regular white vs. carrara white metallic...
Old 08-30-2014, 10:36 AM
10RMV
Track Day

Good luck. I tried that in the UK and got precisely nowhere with Porsche GB. They have even told dealers with existing PTS orders for cars for stock to change them to standard colours. Maybe it's the VW influence kicking in and they don't want the hassle any more?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:44 AM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer also told me no PTS till mid next year at the earliest. I really want Fashion Grey but went with Agate on my December build. Hopefully my RS will be easier to get Fashion Grey
Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Does Ferrari and Lamborghini offer a PTS program?
Old 08-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Yup. This sucks. My car goes into production next week and now I'm waiting for an email saying I have pick an in-line colour
Old 08-30-2014, 02:07 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Ferrari does, it delays the build, and adds on cost.

Quick Reply: No more PTS this year?