Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Not yet!! With my C4S, they were very noisy on the road. On the GT3, the OEM pads were noisy like you describe but not terrible. I have about 160-180 track miles on the Pagids and a total of over 1,300 miles. Minimal noise so far. I had my mechanic put some of that very gooey pad stuff behind the pad plates to see if it helps. I don't know if that did the trick, if it's because the GT3 rotors are different, just luck or a matter of time before the squealing begins.
It's the goop that's preventing the noise. I tried a variety of track pads in different cars, including RS19 and RS29s, and basically any pad can be silent given two tings: 1) shape of the pad is correct and the pad is not moving too much; 2) all points of contact between pad and caliper/pistons are covered with ceramic goop. It's important to use ceramic one, because others tend to burn out at track. I think BMW and Porsche uses metal-based ones (bronze) by default, and those hold up for 2-6 months, depending on the number of track days. Maybe they applied something better in GT3. Ceramic ones usually lasted as much as pads. One thing that also works almost as well as goop are shims that are applied in the back side of some pads, especially the ones that are coated with something like ceramic layer on top.

In short, if pads are well-machined, this should keep them silent:
Amazon.com: Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 oz.: Automotive
Old 07-14-2014, 12:17 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Is one allowed there without membership or event? I've never been but am dying to go as the car should really shine there. I know Driver's Edge are hosting a DE event there Sept but I am tied up with work (again) that weekend. If there is another way, I would love to meet up and drive it. My understanding is that come next summer, it goes
Gents, just a comment on TWS- quite a few events coming up there. Groups that run there include PCA (sells out quickly though), Drivers Edge, Chin and the track's own DE school "PDS". The track also runs OTDs often the Friday before PCA DEs or race meetings. You can find PCA, PDS and the OTDs on ClubReg and Chin and Drivers edge have their own sites for signup. I haven't been to a private day there but they do rent it out. You can check their website texasworldspeedway.com. Denise Todd would be the person to contact. Some dates in my calendar: PCA-9/20-21, 10/18-19, 12/6-7, PDS- 8/23-24, 9/27-28, 10/25-26, 12/13-14, TDE-9/6-7, 11/22-23.

Last edited by zedcat; 07-14-2014 at 12:33 AM. Reason: added dates
Old 07-14-2014, 05:33 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Glad the 991 GT3 videos have started to pour back in. Keep them coming!

Am I the only one preferring the stock exhaust sound over the SW bypass? (Judging only from the videos). There seems to be more "song" (more frequencies) to it, in a way.

What is the point of putting the mic outside and near the exhaust? From a driver's perspective, it would be extremely difficult to drive with your ears inches away from the exhaust.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:17 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Glad the 991 GT3 videos have started to pour back in. Keep them coming!

Am I the only one preferring the stock exhaust sound over the SW bypass? (Judging only from the videos). There seems to be more "song" (more frequencies) to it, in a way.

What is the point of putting the mic outside and near the exhaust? From a driver's perspective, it would be extremely difficult to drive with your ears inches away from the exhaust.
Personally, I like the way it sounds with the mic outside, near the exhaust...so we drivers get to hear what the rest of the world gets to hear
Old 07-14-2014, 07:20 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I also think placing the mic inside produces more natural sound. In fact, the best sound I got was with mic stuffed under the sound-deadening in the rear.

But the problem is that with windows down buffeting overwhelms any mic placed inside, so outside is the only option for consistently good sound.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:02 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I have added couple of more videos breaking in the new engine around Vancouver country sides & back roads. See link below.... I have many more videos from the past couple of weeks, and I will try to post most of them this weekend. The plan is to get the car ready for track before month end. Mark

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A3JtdOXmJpo4Hi
Old 07-19-2014, 07:55 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
I have added couple of more videos breaking in the new engine around Vancouver country sides & back roads. See link below.... I have many more videos from the past couple of weeks, and I will try to post most of them this weekend. The plan is to get the car ready for track before month end. Mark

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A3JtdOXmJpo4Hi
Very nice, Mark. Thank you. The scenery is enviable.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:26 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I am re-posting this here, because I am stupid and didn't see we had a thread already started on this
Driving experience at Barber Motorsports Park @ PSDS.
Ok, I know you all know this, but that car is absolutely amazing!
It was all and more than I dreamed of!
Yeah the Turbo S was fun, but doesn't even come close to the
GT3 on the track. The power coming on at 3-4000 Rpm and
constant all the way to 9000! And yes I took it to 9000 every time.
2 places to go to second gear on the track... Turn 5 and the bottom of the corkscrew turn 9. It sounds absolutely wonderful with Sport exhaust. Plenty loud. Very loud. Not sure I really need the SW bypass now. The car had about 950 miles on it, so I let it rip!
All the same instructors plus Andrew, Sean, Doug, Alex, Rich Hull, and Eric. All very very good!! The last session was in the pouring rain and it really honed our skills.
Sometimes the rain isn't a bad thing.
The masters plus class has more time in the GT3 if you are interested.
Attachment 854294
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I posted these vids in the Barber Sport thread thinking it was this one...!!

Here is a random bit of footage from my first time out in the 991 GT3 on the weekend. I took both my cars (993 RS ) but the GT3 was the most fun. I was very impressed with it. Ill try and post my fastest lap soon. The camera was new (Sony A100) and not correctly positioned a situation that has now been rectified. The mic was the built in forward facing version but much better sound than the GoPro.

Enjoy.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Another....some commentary on the Barber sport video thread if anyone wants additional info.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks Macca! finally some footage with (Shuffeling) hands.
Looks like the car is on rails.

Not even using the floppy's! Its really an automatic.
Wow, I bet you can reduce using the lever or floppy's to once or twice per lap for optimal lap times.

I am getting super laze on doing heel n toe with my relic.
Only when really needed, if the corner allows for just waiting to let the clutch out I don't even bother anymore...
Old 07-21-2014, 07:47 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Wow, I bet you can reduce using the lever or floppy's to once or twice per lap for optimal lap times.
Not even that, according to Porsche driving school instructor I spoke to last year. According to him auto mode is the fastest.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks Macca! finally some footage with (Shuffeling) hands. Looks like the car is on rails. Not even using the floppy's! Its really an automatic. Wow, I bet you can reduce using the lever or floppy's to once or twice per lap for optimal lap times. I am getting super laze on doing heel n toe with my relic. Only when really needed, if the corner allows for just waiting to let the clutch out I don't even bother anymore...
With you Pete on the H&T on the relic. I was running the 993 gearbox in after an expensive rebuild. Look at my other thread re questions. I just jumped into it cold at end of the day and did a single session in cold road tyre pressures with a trunk full of crap left it in spirt auto left the nannies on...
Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it just me, or are you getting that super grin at each corner?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:55 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Is it just me, or are you getting that super grin at each corner?
Yeah, saw that too.

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.