Sponsored by:

Observations of New Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by igirl
Direct live (I am actually at my Porsche dealer for a check up of the car): - they confirmed that, with the new motor, they also changed the ECU, gear and RWS softwares - they confirmed that they have to install some protections in front of the front wheels (but the pieces for my car have not been delivered yet) - they confirmed it is normal that I had to add oil (0,5 liter) at the end of each track day. Last answer to come: why, when I put my 6 point belt (Club sports package), I have the belt error? Very annoying when you are on track...
Fantastic! Did they offer any specific details on what the reprogrammed ECU, gearbox, and Rws include?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:22 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Direct live (I am actually at my Porsche dealer for a check up of the car):
- they confirmed it is normal that I had to add oil (0,5 liter) at the end of each track day.
So happy to see this as I was regularly adding oil with track use and was getting concerned, even though my mechanic re-assured me it was normal.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:39 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

^you have to add .5l of oil each trackday? Does it have some kinda warning or something or u check manually(electronically). Does it mean it burns oil? Mike
Old 05-20-2014, 11:56 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^you have to add .5l of oil each trackday? Does it have some kinda warning or something or u check manually(electronically). Does it mean it burns oil? Mike
I didn't add that much but I would add about 0.4 L (2 bars on the e-gauge) every 1-2 track days. I always check oil levels after track days (so I don't risk being too low the next time). It don't know what it means that oil drops, I gues it's burning it. My mechanic said the seals are still new and oil use would decrease with time. That's one thing I'm eager to see if it gets duplicated with the new engine.

Edit: I only did an equivelant of 5 track days before the stop drive.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

mqandil - Awesome information regarding the Michelin Cup tires vs the Super Sport.

I did not buy the GT3 to be a peach on the road. I have a company car for smooth driving. From every thing I heard the car is fine for street driving. Now, there have been a few reports that some find it harsh but I also think that comes down to expectations and other car experiences. I do not want it to be unbearable but a little raw is not a problem. But, if it ends up being too harsh I will switch to the Michelin Super Sports.
How much do they cost, plus or minus, for a set of four?
Will they be an exact fit to the current Cup tires?
Will it be that noticeably different in terms of the ride?
Since I do not track this car what will I lose or gain be switching tires?
Old 05-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

My experience with every new Porsche I have owned is that it burned more oil for the first ~4000 miles. Even if you are street driving it I have had to add after about 1200 miles some. But after about 4000 miles it never really burned anything more than normal
Old 05-20-2014, 03:02 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
The Speciale is on the same Cup 2 tires. Biggest plus of the Speciale compared to the GT3 is the torque, sound, chassis stiffness and brakes, if you ask me.

But, as I said multiple times before, value-for-money, the GT3 kills the Speciale. In absolute terms, it doesn't though. So we can all be happy...
i had an afternoon with the speciale yesterday. the car is a masterpiece but i was rather shocked about the harsh ride it delivers. the soft damper setting is still less compliant than the normal setting on my 458. if, as igiri says, the GT3 is even less forgiving on the cup tyres then it is not for me (and the RS even less so). maybe changing over the MPS tyres helps but....
i had only a very short drive in a GT3 991 and do not remember it too well.
oh well, choices...
p
Old 05-20-2014, 03:18 PM
igirl
Track Day

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Fantastic! Did they offer any specific details on what the reprogrammed ECU, gearbox, and Rws include?
Unfortunately, no details...
Old 05-20-2014, 03:29 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, no details...
Thanks anyway!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by markow
i had an afternoon with the speciale yesterday. the car is a masterpiece but i was rather shocked about the harsh ride it delivers. the soft damper setting is still less compliant than the normal setting on my 458. if, as igiri says, the GT3 is even less forgiving on the cup tyres then it is not for me (and the RS even less so). maybe changing over the MPS tyres helps but....
i had only a very short drive in a GT3 991 and do not remember it too well.
oh well, choices...
p
Curious. Not having driven any 458, and from igirl's comments, I assumed the Speciale must just be more compliant than the GT3 although I would never call the GT3's ride harsh based on my experience driving it. But now your impression is that the Speciale delivers a really harsh ride. It goes to show that it's difficult to compare subjective impressions from different sources. I'll just say that every journalistic review I've read on the GT3 remarks that it's ride is civilized enough to be a daily driver. On reasonable pavement, I have to agree.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:20 PM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Curious. Not having driven any 458, and from igirl's comments, I assumed the Speciale must just be more compliant than the GT3 although I would never call the GT3's ride harsh based on my experience driving it. But now your impression is that the Speciale delivers a really harsh ride. It goes to show that it's difficult to compare subjective impressions from different sources. I'll just say that every journalistic review I've read on the GT3 remarks that it's ride is civilized enough to be a daily driver. On reasonable pavement, I have to agree.
agreed, all this is very subjective. what i can say is that i drove my 458 italia to where i took over the 458S and drove the latter over some rather bumpy roads, in and out of the city. it felt rather harsh and i put the bumpy road mode on (almost) all the time, something that i do very rarely in my italia. nevertheless, the 458S is the greatest car i have ever driven. tom-tom says the GT3 beats it out price-wise, but the speciale is an epic achievement for ferrari, money put aside for the moment.
i had only 30min-1hour seat time in a GT3 991 and i do not remember very well but the roads i went on were very good (frankfurt area), so i cannot compare really.
anyway, for me this will get me to cancel my GT3 RS preorder (anyone interested in it, vienna porsche dealership) and go for the 458 successor in 2016 instead (turbo, i know....). unless the 'want speciale' becomes overwhelming.
p
Old 05-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Oh no!!! I must stay away from any Ferrari dealership.

I love the style of Ferraris and highly respect the car but I need some thing that I feel I can drive when I want; where I want. I even got sick of all the attention my Audi R8 V10 Spyder brought with people following me with their I-phones making videos. I never liked the attention but I have a feeling the GT3 may bring more than I thought. But for the price, I really do not get too concerned if I beat the car up a bit.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

I love the style of Ferraris and highly respect the car but I need some thing that I feel I can drive when I want; where I want. I even got sick of all the attention my Audi R8 V10 Spyder brought with people following me with their I-phones making videos. I never liked the attention but I have a feeling the GT3 may bring more than I thought. But for the price, I really do not get too concerned if I beat the car up a bit.
Jimmy, fear not; attention will not be a problem. I am driving around in a C2S and if you want to talk lack of attention that is the car to have. It may be I have a distorted view coming from Ferrari's and TT Cab but the loaner I am driving is invisible on the street.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Funny, I can not disagree with you at all that with the Loaners you get no love. But how sick is it that people dream of owning a Porsche and here we sit crying about our GT3s being delayed. Hey, I am not going to apologize for hard work and some luck but now you know why the public could careless about our Action Group plea.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:37 PM
rsdarcan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

Ditto on the R8... I received much more attention than I ever though. I got rid of of it because of that. I don't think the attention will be that bad on the GT3 because it looks like a regular 991 for the most part.

Quick Reply: Observations of New Engines