Sponsored by:

To get loaner or not???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 616 Posts
Default To get loaner or not???

I hate this lack of clarity with Porsche. Here is my situation - I have another sporty car, so I was not bothered much by the whole loaner issue. But now that car needs new brake rotors (~2+ weeks lead time) and some other maintenance, which I'd rather do together with putting it back to stock to save trips to mechanic. I'll miss a track day or two as a result.

So should I just get a loaner? If Porsche stays firm on their joke of a compensation offer, getting the best possible loaner makes a ton sense. But if there is going to be any movement, loaner may negatively influence that, I guess.

BTW, yesterday I saw a fellow 991 GT3 victim tracking a brand-new C2S loaner (loaded!) with dealer's blessing. He mentioned of personally knowing another guy that got a Turbo loaner and was tracking that... That adds to my confusion.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:51 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get it and track it. I made a mistake of asking if I can track and was told no. It is clear (at least to me) a loaner has no effect on compensation.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:06 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Who's responsible for any damage to loaner car on track ie hit wall fubar status? Who picks up the tab? Mike
Old 04-27-2014, 11:19 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The driver.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:34 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Take the loaner. The dealer gets paid $3000 per month from Porsche while you trash the car. They could careless. They come out ahead either way. But if you get in an accident insurance covers it. I had to fax them a copy on my car insurance. It was weird because I have a Company car but they only needed a copy of my Wife's car insurance where I am also listed as driver. Now, if you hit a wall while tracking it - that would be an interesting scenario.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:56 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Um, yeah, I had a Euro Delivery scheduled for July. I was told 5 weeks ago that we'd be provided a Turbo as a loaner car to drive while we're in Europe. And then on Friday, Porsche seemed to remember that the duration of our trip is 2 months. So now they're backpeddling, saying they may not be able to provide a loaner for the full 2 months. Unacceptable! They knew from day one that our plan was to drive the GT3 in Europe for 2 months. We've already built our entire trip around driving that car through 5 different countries.... and now they may not be able to stick with their word. I've about had it with this whole mess... This is getting ridiculous.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Sorry to hear that.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Um, yeah, I had a Euro Delivery scheduled for July. I was told 5 weeks ago that we'd be provided a Turbo as a loaner car to drive while we're in Europe. And then on Friday, Porsche seemed to remember that the duration of our trip is 2 months. So now they're backpeddling, saying they may not be able to provide a loaner for the full 2 months. Unacceptable! They knew from day one that our plan was to drive the GT3 in Europe for 2 months. We've already built our entire trip around driving that car through 5 different countries.... and now they may not be able to stick with their word. I've about had it with this whole mess... This is getting ridiculous.
That is lame in all levels. Mike
Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a fiasco this car has become.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,827 Likes on 2,388 Posts

fd up.
if loaner cannot be provided for 2 months, then perfect they can provide you with your 991GT3 on time as per contract. their engineering issues should have zero bearing on you.

my attitude is that it is my car. i dont care what or how they do it. just do it and deliver the promises on time.

loaner and compensation... sorry, many of us have many many cars and dont really need compensation. we bought a 997gt3 not a loaner nor monthly compensation. it seems very strange to me when the germans cannot understand that.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm giving serious consideration to canceling my order entirely, and just doing a Euro delivery of an M4 instead. At this point, I don't even feel like Porsche DESERVES my business anymore.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Eilig - I would just lay it on the line with them today. I would give them the option to either provide what they promised or tell them you will cancel. I do not think they want any one to cancel but some times you have to apply the pressure
Old 04-28-2014, 10:38 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

That's EXACTLY what I have done. I told them they have until the close of business today to get this resolved. If they can't or won't do that, I'm done.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm giving serious consideration to canceling my order entirely, and just doing a Euro delivery of an M4 instead. At this point, I don't even feel like Porsche DESERVES my business anymore.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this isn't Porsche's fault, it's the damn dealer's fault, correct?

So don't give up on Porsche my friend and fall in line with all the other BMW owners - that option is too damn easy. Besides the Porsche will retain it's value better than any BMW!

I wouldn't mind owning an SLS AMG Black Series, even though it's still not a sub 3 second, 0 to 60, like the Porsche Turbos and has similar numbers to that of the explosive GT3.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't get it. What is the difference between having the car for five weeks and eight weeks? What concerns me is your ED is in July and they cannot have your GT3 ready by then? Has your car been built?

Regarding tracking loaners be careful. I know of one instance where Porsche took back the car after learning it was tracked. Also, while on the track the car is basically uninsured at least with most US car insurance companies and the agreement with the loaner is you are responsible for the damage to the car.

Final point. As I posted before, your personal car insurance only covers the loaner for 30 days. Anything after is it uninsured unless you buy insurance for it OR turn the loaner in and get a new loaner contract which would be good for another 30 days.

Quick Reply: To get loaner or not???