Sponsored by:

Timing of Engine Swaps - Possible New Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 06:53 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterfirst
It was said the the assembly line will be used to put in the new engines. So cars in Germany seem to go over the assembly line once more . Would be the best and easiest way to do it (they talk about 350 cars in Germany).
Are you sure about the cars going through the assembly line again? Cause if you watch the Nat Geo program on the Porsche factory, the way it is done, the engine, the transmission, the suspension, axles, brakes - the rolling chassis is assembled together first and then "married" to the body. So if they are going to do the same with build cars, it probably means first taking the rolling chassis apart from the body first. Probably the right way to do it though?

At 8:35 into this video -

Last edited by sunnyr; 04-05-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Are you sure about the cars going through the assembly line again? Cause if you watch the Nat Geo program on how Porsche factory, the way it is done, the engine, the transmission, the suspension, axles, brakes - the rolling chassis is assembled together first and then "married" to the body. So if they are going to do the same with build cars, it probably means first taking the rolling chassis apart from the body first. Probably the right way to do it though?

At 8:35 into this video -
+1 I've seen this vid and watched the process in person. I don't see how an engine replacement in an otherwise completed car could possibly fit smoothly into this production line. And disassembling a car just to put it down the line again makes no sense at all to me and seems hugely labor intensive as there is no existing automated line for taking cars apart.

If they had previously pulled partially completed bodies off the line and stored them for later reintroduction at the "marriage station" to be mated to drivetrains with the new engines, maybe that would work, but it still seems cumbersome and would likely slow the entire production line which is otherwise very precisely timed.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen this much speculation since the Stock Market Crash in 1929.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:08 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allans
I haven't seen this much speculation since the Stock Market Crash in 1929.
Hope this crash is not as big

And no I am not sure but indications I have seem to make it plausible at least.
I was told by an after sales person from my Porsche centre and they had a special "training" about the "GT3 recall" subject last Tuesday at Porsche AG.
I know him since quite a few years and don't think he is spreading wrong information. So I expect he knows what he is talking about but .....

At the end of the day it will not make a difference for us if they change the motor in a "traditional" way or if the put the cars back on the line. my guess is that the engine prodcuction is the botleneck anyhow.

Greetz

Peter
Old 04-06-2014, 08:47 AM
clifforza
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys. As of Thurs 4/3 the cars are still lined up outside at Quonset (RI). I go by every couple of days to check. I'll probably go by later today.
I know for certain that the port facility has the capability of doing the engine swaps right there.
Also speculation, but let's call it informed speculation, but I believe Porsche will put the engines in a container and put them on a ship (seriously doubt air-freight) send them over, then fly a handful of Techs here to install them at the port facility. Just too many for the dealers to cope with.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:39 AM
hzoenvy33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at my dealer on Friday to change tires. They have a black GT3 in their show room (not sold so far) and I asked what is now happening with the car.

He said: "They are collecting all German cars as they were delivered, they will go back to Zuffenhausen on the regular assembly line. They will get a "divorce" and afterwards a regular "marriage" between chassis and new engine".

Cheers
Old 04-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hzoenvy33
I was at my dealer on Friday to change tires. They have a black GT3 in their show room (not sold so far) and I asked what is now happening with the car.

He said: "They are collecting all German cars as they were delivered, they will go back to Zuffenhausen on the regular assembly line. They will get a "divorce" and afterwards a regular "marriage" between chassis and new engine".

Cheers
Thanks for confirming my information

peter
Old 04-06-2014, 02:24 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Cheers
Can you tell us where you are?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't believe it. But first allow me to continue with the 'allegorical illusions' so in vogue today in the Teutonic automotive manufacturing process. Here is why this rumor doesn't make sense to me:

1) There is no place in the production line to get a 'divorce'. That is not a regular procedure in the production process!

2) It would be awfully disruptive to add a 'fully clothed' 991 to the line just to take advantage of the 'marriage' ceremony in the production line.

3) It's discriminatory. It create two classes of '14 gt3's. Those few who got the special Dispensation from Pope Matthias Müller, got their annulment in Germany and were remarried in Zuffenhausen wearing 'bridal virgin white' by highly trained Porsche officiants. And then, there are the rest of the gt3's in remote areas of Europe or shipped overseas to their less fortunate ROW clients! These sad 'maidens' are subject to back-alley abortions in some dingy port or scruffy dealership, get knocked-up without fan-fare by a recent grad of a DeVry Technical Institute, and are unceremoniously dumped back at their husband's garages to be received in quiet shame! This is a modern version of the old European 'Droit du Seigneur' and I don't think you gentlemen will put up with it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 04-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I don't believe it. But first allow me to continue with the 'allegorical illusions' so in vogue today in the Teutonic automotive manufacturing process. Here is why this rumor doesn't make sense to me:

1) There is no place in the production line to get a 'divorce'. That is not a regular procedure in the production process!

2) It would be awfully disruptive to add a 'fully clothed' 991 to the line just to take advantage of the 'marriage' ceremony in the production line.

3) It's discriminatory. It create two classes of '14 gt3's. Those few who got the special Dispensation from Pope Matthias Müller, got their annulment in Germany and were remarried in Zuffenhausen wearing 'bridal virgin white' by highly trained Porsche officiants. And then, there are the rest of the gt3's in remote areas of Europe or shipped overseas to their less fortunate ROW clients! These sad 'maidens' are subject to back-alley abortions in some dingy port or scruffy dealership, get knocked-up without fan-fare by a recent grad of a DeVry Technical Institute, and are unceremoniously dumped back at their husband's garages to be received in quiet shame! This is a modern version of the old European 'Droit du Seigneur' and I don't think you gentlemen will put up with it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

You do have a way with words.

However, aside from logistics there is the matter of cost to consider. If Porsche believes it would be more cost effective rerouting them through the assembly line that is what they will do. As far as the ROW, all Porsche needs to say is proximity and time is the reason only German cars are receiving this treatment.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:29 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How about this hypothetical scenario: Porsche offers to replace all engines in Germany at no cost of course. The cars would ship by boat, get the engines placed, then shipped back. Estimated time to do this would be 2-3 months. Porsche would also offer a dealer swap, where the engine would ship by air and get installed locally. Total time estimated to do this would be about one week.

I would personally chose local work but not sure how would it further devalue my car, if at all, compared to the German install.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:46 PM
hzoenvy33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alpine-al,
I'm in Southern Germany (about 30km from Stuttgart).

Eduardo,
I know this dealership since the mid-90s, they talked to me an aweful lot what is going on there. Never lied to me. So I think if this is not true, they don't know better.

Personally, I think they are doing the German (maybe close European cars too) in the factory because it is cheaper / faster to do it in house.
Maybe they arrange a "pre-step" for the assembly line to push the "divorced" cars into the line at the correct place. Divorce may be done before or something?

It would just take too long to get "all" cars (from place like New Zealand...) back to Stutttgart, so I think they are using this version.

I think there will not be a "two-class" 991 GT3. It does not really matter if the engine was replaced "at home" or in the factory. All engines seem to go into "hot testing" so they should all be fine!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Originally Posted by Nick
You do have a way with words.

However, aside from logistics there is the matter of cost to consider. If Porsche believes it would be more cost effective rerouting them through the assembly line that is what they will do. As far as the ROW, all Porsche needs to say is proximity and time is the reason only German cars are receiving this treatment.
I agree with Eduardo. IF reintroducing completed cars to the line was the most cost effective method, of course Porsche would do it. But I just don't see how pulling out and putting in a new engine could be more costly in terms of labor than separating the already completed body with seats and all interior bits from the chassis/drivetrain, setting it aside somewhere, pulling the engine out of the old chassis, putting in the new engine, and then bringing them together on the assembly line again. Prove me wrong; I'd love to see a National Geographic video on how they are going to do that.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-06-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-06-2014, 07:06 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

@mike

How does it work for cars such as mine which were produced in March, but without any engine? Is everything there such as wheels, transmission and suspension? How will the engine later be added?

My GT3 started production March 17 and was halted March 20. I have been told the rest will not be completed until August 29. Wonder where it is stored.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
How about this hypothetical scenario: Porsche offers to replace all engines in Germany at no cost of course. The cars would ship by boat, get the engines placed, then shipped back. Estimated time to do this would be 2-3 months. Porsche would also offer a dealer swap, where the engine would ship by air and get installed locally. Total time estimated to do this would be about one week.

I would personally chose local work but not sure how would it further devalue my car, if at all, compared to the German install.
I take the factory swap any day. My dealer has never touched a 991 GT3 let alone take the engine down. I just can't see how they can swap all these engines at the local dealer. My dealer only has two to swap but some of the bigger dealer have a bunch of cars. Look at the RI port with all those cars sitting at the port. They have a mess on their hand.

Quick Reply: Timing of Engine Swaps - Possible New Info