Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

New 991 variant?

 
Old 03-11-2014, 02:28 AM
  #1  
sunnyr
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
sunnyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,204
Default New 991 variant?





More here - http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...olet-spy-shots

GTS? New 4 cyl turbo? Hybrid? GT3 cab? lol
sunnyr is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 02:43 AM
  #2  
rave426
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rave426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 677
Default

991 GTS GT1 Hybrid Cab


count it
rave426 is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 03:09 AM
  #3  
Mercel
User
 
Mercel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 97
Default

Too early in the 991 cycle for a GTS, IMO
Mercel is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 03:26 AM
  #4  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

Isn't this the same pic of the face-lifted 991.2 prototype that was posted recently?
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 04:13 AM
  #5  
sunnyr
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
sunnyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,204
Default

Originally Posted by Mike in CA View Post
Isn't this the same pic of the face-lifted 991.2 prototype that was posted recently?
Believe the exhaust layout is different, probably signifying a new engine/variant? At least I have not seen it before. Apologize if it is a repost.
sunnyr is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 10:25 AM
  #6  
TRAKCAR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TRAKCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 27,024
Default

4.0RS engine test mule hidden in a cabrio to throw us off.
Either that or all the 911's get center exhausts with the 2015 facelift, along with PDK-S, 9000RPM, RWS optional.
TRAKCAR is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 01:10 PM
  #7  
-eztrader-
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
-eztrader-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,356
Default

Had to redo the exhaust system to make room for new,old 6 speed manual
-eztrader- is online now  
Old 03-11-2014, 02:09 PM
  #8  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

Originally Posted by sunnyr View Post
Believe the exhaust layout is different, probably signifying a new engine/variant? At least I have not seen it before. Apologize if it is a repost.
No apology necessary. Was just asking...
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 05:15 PM
  #9  
kosmo
Super User
 
kosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: THE Republic
Posts: 10,595
Default

its the newly redesigned gt3 engine cloaked in a cab.
kosmo is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 06:17 PM
  #10  
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
GrantG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 9,667
Default

Originally Posted by sunnyr View Post
Believe the exhaust layout is different, probably signifying a new engine/variant? At least I have not seen it before. Apologize if it is a repost.
I think it's the facelift 991.2 Carrera (S) with the rumored 3.0 turbo motor.
GrantG is online now  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:14 PM
  #11  
Sean in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Sean in Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 388
Default

Teamspeed:

Today we receive another bit of news that will make the purists cringe, regardless if the end result is a faster and more efficient sports car. It seems (this is all still just rumors until confirmed) that Porsche will introduce new turbocharged engines for all upcoming 911 variants but two – the GT3 and GTS. The latter is what you see in our exclusive spy-shots: the all-new 911 GTS Cabrio.

Photographed for the first time today, the GTS will receive a detuned version of the GT3’s future 3.8-liter motor, and will power-wise slot between the to-be-turbocharged 911 Carrera S and the more potent range-topping 911 Turbo variants.

The radical change in Porsche’s engine line-up will be as much a revolution as was the shift from air to water-cooled power-plants some twenty years ago. The reasons, however, are the same: reduction of fuel consumption.
Hopefully, by de-tuned, they don't mean Macca's old engine.

http://teamspeed.com/articles/new-po...abrio-spotted/
Sean in Texas is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 PM
  #12  
chuckbdc
Super User
 
chuckbdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maryland USA
Posts: 2,980
Default

No cringe here- its back to the 959 future!
chuckbdc is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 09:32 PM
  #13  
Z356
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Z356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,868
Default What ever happen to the rumor re: Cycle 6 Emissions which gt3's did not meet?

Originally Posted by Mercel View Post
Too early in the 991 cycle for a GTS, IMO
Perhaps not. I hope to see it as a MY2016 with the introduction of the .2 face lifted 991.

Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
I think it's the facelift 991.2 Carrera (S) with the rumored 3.0 turbo motor.
At least one in the 'caravan' of 991 'mules' had one of those turbo motors!

Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime View Post
Quote:
Today we receive another bit of news that will make the purists cringe, regardless if the end result is a faster and more efficient sports car. It seems (this is all still just rumors until confirmed) that Porsche will introduce new turbocharged engines for all upcoming 911 variants but two – the GT3 and GTS. The latter is what you see in our exclusive spy-shots: the all-new 911 GTS Cabrio.

Photographed for the first time today, the GTS will receive a detuned version of the GT3’s future 3.8-liter motor, and will power-wise slot between the to-be-turbocharged 911 Carrera S and the more potent range-topping 911 Turbo variants.

The radical change in Porsche’s engine line-up will be as much a revolution as was the shift from air to water-cooled power-plants some twenty years ago. The reasons, however, are the same: reduction of fuel consumption.
Well, talking about 'fuel consumption. A few months back, while Macca was driving around his new 991 gt3 in Europe after picking it up in Switzerland, he reported a rumor he had heard from reliable Porsche sources that neither the current 991 gt3 nor the yet-to-be-released 991 gt3 RS would be able to meet the stricter Euro Cycle 6 emissions standards for petrol engines to go into effect in the EU on September 2014!

The rumor he heard was that Porsche would rush all 991 gt3 and 991 RS production to completion before Sept. 2014, in order to beat the penalties imposed on these particular models if they didn't meet Euro Cycle 6 emissions! But that also meant that the 991 gt3 or RS would probably NOT be produced after September 2014!

So with the passage of a few months since Macca alerted us to these dark clouds in the horizon re: the hard-to-meet Euro Cycle 6 emissions for the gt3's (Perhaps eventually for all 991 naturally aspirated engines, hence the turbo replacements of even these 'lesser' N/A engines), has anyone been able to flesh out these rumors? Can we get Macca to report the latest re: this rumor and give us a follow-up report from his source?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Z356 is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 PM
  #14  
MarcusG
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
MarcusG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newport Beach
Posts: 1,155
Default

Personally, I don't like the exhaust that way unless it's a GT3 exhaust.

Looks like they are trying too hard to do something different but can't do a GT3 exhaust on all Carreras.
MarcusG is offline  
Old 03-11-2014, 10:13 PM
  #15  
0Q991
Super User
 
0Q991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,708
Default

Looks like a GT3 exhaust and a Gen 1 Audi TT had a love child.
0Q991 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 991 variant?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: