Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WWYD: accept the engine swapped GT3 or pass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
No kidding. You have cars for sale in the ads touting "never driven in the rain" and "always wore gloves to touch steering wheel and shifter". And now you are talking about cars with engine/trnasmission torn out and replaced. I know I wouldn't touch one for less than a $10k-15k price adjustment. There is plenty to go wrong in an engine swap.

Porsche just grew themselves a bumper crop of lemons
Engines get "torn out" to replace clutches, RMS, do displacement upgrades, rebuilds, any number of reasons. It's not rocket science. My assumption is that these will be brand new factory motors, not rebuilds (where are they going to get 800 used GT3 motors to "rebuild"?) This won't be like buying a used car with a motor replacement of questionable heritage and no warranty.

Do I have a vested interest in this turning out well? Of course. OTOH, I'm not worried about resale; I want a car that I can keep and drive for a long time. I don't need to convince a doubting buyer that a properly done engine replacement is a major issue, especially since it's not.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:30 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have a horse in this race (yet) so my views cannot factor in the emotions - anguish, frustration, relief, euphoria, betrayal - or whatever those of you who have already bought and received or ordered and are awaiting delivery may feel on a replacement engine. But I would think if this is the decided path forward, then confidence should be high that PAG actually solved the issue and the new engines are indeed fixed, perhaps even improved slightly. Too much to lose by not getting it right - the old saying, measure twice, cut once seems prudent here.

Dropping and replacing an engine is not a big deal and most dealers will have their master tech do the job or supervise the job, all with the service manager looking over everyone's shoulders. Plus I'd be surprised if the dealer and service manager, through PAG/PCNA's insistence, don't have these replaced engine GT3's on a high frequency service review to ensure the quality of the work and the effectiveness of the replacement engine - in fact, I would request a 12 month, unlimited mileage free engine service, maintenance, and inspection program as part of the compensation. Even still for some buyers this may not be as comforting as having the factory assembled engine and chassis mated, nevertheless it is not a bad outcome. When these cars with replaced engines come up for sale on the aftermarket, with documentation it has been properly cared for, I'd certainly consider buying one; but from all the reviews so far, I may not be able to wait that long
Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I'll keep the car but only if they give me Carrera S loaner that I can take to track and either extended warranty, compensation or both.

If not, I'll probably start looking for a used MP12C or whatever it's called.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:47 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I would go pick up a check and look at GT3's again in the fall.
+1
Wouldn't want to beta-test the new engine which must have been researched, built and tested under extreme time demands and anguish. There is a (not insignificant) chance that PAG may not have found/addressed the whole range of potential problems associated with the old engine. It's a complex equation of tolerances, feedback loops, and dependencies.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:11 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

If the replacing of all the engines is the proposed fix by Porsche, why the individual telephone calls we will be receiving? They could easily sent out another letter or email announcing the recall and the fix.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:14 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Im definitely going to wait for the official word on this. But if that's really the case...I'm going to have some major thinking to do.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:17 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
+1
Wouldn't want to beta-test the new engine which must have been researched, built and tested under extreme time demands and anguish. There is a (not insignificant) chance that PAG may not have found/addressed the whole range of potential problems associated with the old engine. It's a complex equation of tolerances, feedback loops, and dependencies.
The new engines could be exactly the same as the current design. If the problem was caused by a particular part (or parts) that didn't meet the design spec/tolerances, then it's just a matter of getting the correctly made parts for the new engines. Same engine design as they tested for a couple of years. Same engine design that Macca drove for x,xxx miles.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^Agreed.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
The new engines could be exactly the same as the current design. If the problem was caused by a particular part (or parts) that didn't meet the design spec/tolerances, then it's just a matter of getting the correctly made parts for the new engines. Same engine design as they tested for a couple of years. Same engine design that Macca drove for x,xxx miles.
If they have to re-design a part (or parts) then it's not the same design. Even if the fix comprised of only tightening few tolerances, there is still uncertainty about how much tighter those tolerances must be (than thought previously) or whether there are other tolerances that should have been tightened but were not. Only time and miles driven can answer those questions.

Let's first wait for PAG's official statement/report.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:09 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

When I was shopping for a GT3 and used to read every "opinion on this GT3" thread, I came across a couple of cars that had their engines replaced under warranty and the popular forum opinion was - not the worst thing to happen, but ask for a big discount cause you will take a hit when you try to sell it in turn.

So to OP, if Porsche gives me a big discount on the MSRP, I would consider keeping it (depending on the details of what the issue really is), if not, pass and get a later car. Tough spot to be in, GL.

Last edited by sunnyr; 03-10-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I would go pick up a check and look at GT3's again in the fall.
THIS
NFW would I take this car...damaged goods
Check would already be in my account

Bill
Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill, I'll take your RS in trade for my GT3. You can then return it to the Dealer and get your money back . Allan
Old 03-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

It will be interesting to see how Porsche handles potential demands for a refund, as I don't think they have a legal obligation to do so. I hope all current owners end up getting their way.

I, for one, would welcome the opportunity to buy one with a lemon title at a substantial discount, as opposed to a new MY15.

As for all of the conspiracy theorists - whether its a bad design, a bad part, or a missing part altogether - just sit tight for the announcement.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Bill, I'll take your RS in trade for my GT3. You can then return it to the Dealer and get your money back . Allan

Big money like you can have both
Bill
Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd ask them to assemble a team of four pro drivers, slap some slicks on a car off the production line with a new engine, hire out the NBR and circle it under race conditions for 24 hours and then I'd gladly accept their replacement in my car, no questions asked...

Basically, if you're talking the talk, let's see you walk the walk...

Quick Reply: WWYD: accept the engine swapped GT3 or pass?