Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Possible that the option choices break down to manual coming without RWS.....whereas the PDK-S version is available with RWS..

such a choice thereby dealing with the rumoured homologation issues on RWS
This issue of homologation and RWS keeps being repeated and I'm hoping someone can explain to me why it's a problem. The new RS will have ABS, stability management (ESC), TC, and active suspension (PASM), just like the previous RS, and none of them are race legal. Yet they weren't homologation issues for the previous version, and no one seems concerned about them on the new version because those items will simply be left off the race cars.

So why should it be different with RWS?
Old 02-14-2014, 07:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
This issue of homologation and RWS keeps being repeated and I'm hoping someone can explain to me why it's a problem. The new RS will have ABS, stability management (ESC), TC, and active suspension (PASM), just like the previous RS, and none of them are race legal.
I agree - sounds like a BS excuse. I keep coming back to the thought that RWS can't cope with the cornering stress of wide sticky slicks (sticking more than usual with aero downforce and very wide track).
Old 02-14-2014, 07:33 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

This issue of homologation and RWS keeps being repeated and I'm hoping someone can explain to me why it's a problem. The new RS will have ABS, stability management (ESC), TC, and active suspension (PASM), just like the previous RS, and none of them are race legal. Yet they weren't homologation issues for the previous version, and no one seems concerned about them on the new version because those items will simply be left off the race cars.

So why should it be different with RWS?
Originally Posted by GrantG
I agree - sounds like a BS excuse. I keep coming back to the thought that RWS can't cope with the cornering stress of wide sticky slicks (sticking more than usual with aero downforce and very wide track).
Agreed, whilst they can't say it, it must be more a reliability issue considering the RS is supposedly being made more track focused since the GT3 was made less intense to appeal to a greater general market.

Not to mention that huge actuators and a massive battery removed would remove considerably weight cheaply... unlike CF and composites....
Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911rox
Agreed, whilst they can't say it, it must be more a reliability issue considering the RS is supposedly being made more track focused since the GT3 was made less intense to appeal to a greater general market.

Not to mention that huge actuators and a massive battery removed would remove considerably weight cheaply... unlike CF and composites....
Grant...Chris....you're both making the assumption that the homologation thing is an excuse for RWS not being suitable for the RS. The other possibility to consider is that the rumor about the RS not having RWS is bull in the first place. My guess is it will have it.

MT instead of PDK-S, no RWS....it's going to be difficult to justify a $50K price delta for a car that likely won't be any quicker than a GT3 absent those features. Just sayin"....
Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Valid point Mike... we'll hopefully have a yeah or nah soon...
Old 02-14-2014, 10:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
FIFY
Shhhh, they are monitoring these pages to see how much they can stick it to us.

For those of you who would be inclined to have an RS with a manual (I would love one), would you be disappointed if it was only a 6spd? I would, but I might prefer it to the PDK-based 7spd manual in the Carrera (shift quality is often maligned). Maybe a close ratio 6spd G50-based box with a limited top speed would be a nice choice? I would hate to trade in-gear performance for the privilege to shift and losing the 7th gear would be a real sacrifice, unless top speed was close to what the PDK box achieves in 6th gear.
Gold old fashioned 6 speed top speed 175, clears up the track intent.

Originally Posted by redleg321
Sweet baby jesus. A higher rev limit and three pedals?

I cannot even imagine a 9,500 RPM 991 GT3 RS being up/down shifted with both legs and an arm. That is just lunacy! I LOVE IT!

We should probably not get too excited, though. It sounds too good to be true.
Think positive Nd visualize.

[QUOTE=gskudlarick;11134436]Y. careful what you wish for.. Ha Ha.. Happy shifting..

Ring times are anecdotal for me but.. :
Ring of 991 GT3 at 7:25, while 4.0 at 7:27. If they don't up the HP to much, wonder if the Ultimate 911 in PDK, will best the Ultimate Ultimate 911 in stick.. - Suspect they will have to do both options if they go stick. I

I haven't been over 6, 6,500 maybe in break in at 1k miles, and the shifts are quick.. Will finally try the intoxicating 9k when the snow clears, but Dang. .

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/porsche_997_gt3_rs_40.html
.. and I have no idea the accuracy.[/QUOTE

Slower maybe unless you are pro level driver, but if I want the fSt ring time car manual, there's the corvette. All about track fun and reliability..

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Game changer! Please be true!
+1

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
its NOT going to happen!

If they wouldn't spend the money to develop one for both the GT3 and RS why would they then spend the money to retroactively develop one for the RS alone ...

GET OVER IT!
It may, it must. The cayman GT won't arrive for a while..

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Besides, wouldn't a manual 991 GT3 RS be slower than a PDK-S 991 GT3?

I don't think PAG would stand for that.
Why not? Tire for tire a set up TTS with alphabet options is prolly faster than. Gt3 already, GTR like. No one wants me for track either...

I'm sure you can buy a beefeater BBQ for like only $3-4k Trak! Put the other $157k towards food to cook on it...
LOL

Originally Posted by tmg57
Exactly. Even if they developed a new MT for the RS and then offered it on the GT3 it would still make their original arguments look hypocritical. At the same time they would p*ss off a lot of early buyers of the GT3 who are already disappointed by the seat issue and, possibly, by some of the little PITA quality problems. Not to mention all the people who passed on the original round of allocations because there was no MT, although I suppose some of those guys would be overjoyed by Porsche's return to righteousness...
Yes!!

Originally Posted by csmarx
Offering a MT is probably not as (relatively) simple as it sounds. Wouldn't they have to nix the eDiff which is intimately tied into the PDK? And even the RWS might be affected. Effectively they would have to offer the MT with an LSD and then redevelop all the control software....

-Christian
Probably no more difficult than solving the test of the initial production run software hardware and BBQ issues..

BINGO!

Grant...Chris....you're both making the assumption that the homologation thing is an excuse for RWS not being suitable for the RS. The other possibility to consider is that the rumor about the RS not having RWS is bull in the first place. My guess is it will have it.

MT instead of PDK-S, no RWS....it's going to be difficult to justify a $50K price delta for a car that likely won't be any quicker than a GT3 absent those features. Just sayin"....
Well, look how much 4 year old 6 speed 997GT3 and RS are going for.
I'd say you're wrong.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'd say you're wrong.
We'll see.....
Old 02-15-2014, 12:53 AM
tradervic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my allocation locked up today.

I'll happily take what they make...

Thank you DTLA Porsche!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:28 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tradervic
I got my allocation locked up today.

I'll happily take what they make...

Thank you DTLA Porsche!

you have a deposit down on a RS, congrats! allocations are not yet there.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:42 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Boy.. That hypothetical article sure wound this place up quickly
Old 02-15-2014, 10:35 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rs will not be manual.
cayman gts will be manual.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by csmarx
Offering a MT is probably not as (relatively) simple as it sounds. Wouldn't they have to nix the eDiff which is intimately tied into the PDK? And even the RWS might be affected. Effectively they would have to offer the MT with an LSD and then redevelop all the control software....

-Christian
And yet BMW has no trouble making both manual and automatic with their eDiff.

"431 hp are at your command. And when the M TwinPower Turbo 6-cylinder petrol engine accelerates to the limit in a heartbeat, the performance capabilities of the BMW M4 Coupé are immediately noticeable.

The boost stays finely adjustable even in the highest rev ranges. Adapted motorsport technologies like the Active M differential bring the power of the M drive train to the street and ensure maximum safety and controllability in any situation."

I call bullocks on the whole argument that Porsche can't make a manual work on the GT3 with the electronics in place.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
...I call bullocks on the whole argument that Porsche can't make a manual work on the GT3 with the electronics in place.
I agree with you. They just choose to go the PDK route for their future direction; a business decision and the continuing evolution of the product....

Old 02-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

I'm with you on this one Mike; no way the RS is going to be missing these features since they are perhaps the primary contributors to the 991's performance and handling...
Old 02-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
I agree with you. They just choose to go the PDK route for their future direction; a business decision and the continuing evolution of the product....

+1

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread