Bye Bye 991 TTS, welcome GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 06:52 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Sam.

Beautiful! Congrats!

Damn. for the love... please more pictures.

I don't care if they are upside down or sideways.

We will take them!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

the Red CF is sick - I love it!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
While on the subject, I have a tire pressure question. I never ran R tires before. For my Pirelli P Zero or Michelin PSS on the C4S and TTS, the best hot pressure for me was 33 front and 37 rear. I know that R tires run at lower oressures. What hot pressures have people used on 997 GT3s with R tires before? I am guessing 30 F and 32 R????
I would shoot for hot pressures equal to what Porsche puts on the door jam. This will mean you'll need to start much lower, but Porsche probably tuned everything to work pretty well for those pressures if you're on the factory settings (alignment, etc) so I wouldn't think of them as true R compound like a Hoosier that needs different settings.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I would shoot for hot pressures equal to what Porsche puts on the door jam. This will mean you'll need to start much lower, but Porsche probably tuned everything to work pretty well for those pressures if you're on the factory settings (alignment, etc) so I wouldn't think of them as true R compound like a Hoosier that needs different settings.
Thanks Pete. On the last two 991 cars (C4S and TTS) that I tracked, the door jamb numbers where 36F and 44R. Car slid all over the place and only stuck after many bleeds where I finally found that 33F and 37R where my optimal pressures. I would try to guess the cold pressure before I go on track (8-10 psi lower, depending on temp) and as it warmed up, I always new if I had 2-3 more PSI than those numbers, so I'm skeptical about the numbers on the door jamb (29F and 33R on the GT3) but also am worried to go lower. I likely won't know my best pressures for several sessions.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Have fun this weekend Sam - looking forward to your review!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:20 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Petevb
Thanks Pete. On the last two 991 cars (C4S and TTS) that I tracked, the door jamb numbers where 36F and 44R. Car slid all over the place and only stuck after many bleeds where I finally found that 33F and 37R where my optimal pressures. I would try to guess the cold pressure before I go on track (8-10 psi lower, depending on temp) and as it warmed up, I always new if I had 2-3 more PSI than those numbers, so I'm skeptical about the numbers on the door jamb (29F and 33R on the GT3) but also am worried to go lower. I likely won't know my best pressures for several sessions.
Pete,
I thought more about what you said, especially with the lower pressures recommended on the jamb for the PSC2 and I will do just that. I will shoot for 29F and 32R, hot.
Sam
Old 01-03-2014, 11:04 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Sam.

Beautiful! Congrats!

Damn. for the love... please more pictures.

I don't care if they are upside down or sideways.

We will take them!
Here you go. Yes, one side marker is clear and the other yellow. The right clear has been on back order (no clue why) forever but should arrive next week.
Attached Images      
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Here you go. Yes, one side marker is clear and the other yellow. The right clear has been on back order (no clue why) forever but should arrive next week.
Sam, so you found someplace that had access to clear LED side markers to replace the stock amber LED side markers? I didn't think the clear LED replacements were available here yet.....
Old 01-04-2014, 06:58 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sam, so you found someplace that had access to clear LED side markers to replace the stock amber LED side markers? I didn't think the clear LED replacements were available here yet.....
Hello Mike,
I ordered the clear LED markers from my local dealership 8 weeks ago, as soon as I got my TTS. They submit the order and two weeks later, the left shows up but the right never showed a status in their system until last week, and is now expected to arrive next week. Parts people were baffled that their system showed several left ones but not right, until now. I figured no-one will notice the discrepancy on the car (until I posted here!) so I drove the TTS and now the GT3 with non-matching side markers.
Sam
Old 01-04-2014, 07:52 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello Mike,
I ordered the clear LED markers from my local dealership 8 weeks ago, as soon as I got my TTS. They submit the order and two weeks later, the left shows up but the right never showed a status in their system until last week, and is now expected to arrive next week. Parts people were baffled that their system showed several left ones but not right, until now. I figured no-one will notice the discrepancy on the car (until I posted here!) so I drove the TTS and now the GT3 with non-matching side markers.
Sam
Sam,

Would you mind sharing the part numbers for the LED side markers?

Thx

Ryan
Old 01-04-2014, 08:02 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sam, regarding tyre pressures, on the 997.2 with MPSCs I found 32f/35r to work well...once they got north of 33/36 they got greasy and were all over the place... Trofeo have to be run even lower...
Old 01-04-2014, 08:18 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny...exactly the same for the clear led markers I hve ordered, have left but no right yet.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:21 AM
FLM911
Racer

Pete, I thought more about what you said, especially with the lower pressures recommended on the jamb for the PSC2 and I will do just that. I will shoot for 29F and 32R, hot. Sam
+1 and work it from there. Always found with Porsche that shooting for their door numbers hot generally works ok as a baseline.

Trofeo Rs are completely different as someone else mentioned, I used to run mine 29 hit which meant silly low numbers on warm up laps.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 AM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Sam-----I would be very interested in your personal opinion of the LED headlights vs Xenons after you have driven in the dark for a while. Please keep us posted. Are they really that much better?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 196 Posts

looks like a great car - enjoy !

Quick Reply: Bye Bye 991 TTS, welcome GT3