Sponsored by:

GT3 Race Track Manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:42 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Race Track Manual

Quick scan of the new racetrack use manual for the GT3. Has the setup and maintenance schedule included.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B95...it?usp=sharing

(sorry alternate pages are upside down - tried to get the best quality from the scanner and it was the only way to get it to work)

Food for thought in here for sure.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:01 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

No slicks allowed... Sad indeed.

Thanks for posting. At least they are now being more thorough with whats required or expected with track use...
Old 12-24-2013, 11:11 AM
FLM911
Racer

I suppose technically Hoosier R6 isn't a slick as its DOT approved although not recommended to be used on the road.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thx for posting! So the only warranty voiding language I saw in there was around slicks, wheel sizing and maint intervals. I'm assuming the 997 manual did not have a similar statement around slicks?

DOT R Hoosiers would appear to pass this black and white warning then (if they are even available in stock sizes someday)
Old 12-24-2013, 11:17 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
I'm assuming the 997 manual did not have a similar statement around slicks?
Nope. Although not confirmed, I think the RWS can't keep up with the huge forces created with slicks. My guess as to why the RS is going without RWS (and presumably with slicks allowed). Just a guess...
Old 12-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
I'm assuming the 997 manual did not have a similar statement around slicks?
Nope. Straight up disclaimer that warranty was void with track use.

Kudos to Porsche for finally stepping up and aligning the GT3 warranty policy with their marketing.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:11 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoa. No voiding of warranty with track use as long as you keep up with maintenance and tire guidelines???
Old 12-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,200 Posts

This is excellent, makes me more inclined to buy the car for track use. Some notes:

- They don't mention using racing brake fluid, but I'd certainly do that. And flush is needed no farther apart than every few events, so many times in 12 months if tracking often.

- They imply that the stock brake pads are adequate for track use. That would surprise me, unless the stock pads are quite different from typical street pads.

- My interpretation is that something like an R6 would be OK. But there may not be many tire options for this wheel size for quite a while.

- I like that the alignment is already set up to be a reasonable compromise between street and track, and that it's apparently easily adjusted.

- Replacement of parts on their schedule won't be cheap, but it's great that they provide a schedule.

- I've always taken air out of cold tires so that I'd wind up with the right hot pressures, and I've seen most everyone else doing that. But I give a few laps for the pressures to come up before really hammering it.

- Overall, this info increases my confidence that Porsche has done what it takes to make this car trackworthy, and stands behind that with warranty.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:14 PM
FLM911
Racer

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Whoa. No voiding of warranty with track use as long as you keep up with maintenance and tire guidelines???
As long as no mods either which is obvious I suppose.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:16 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Good news for GT3 owners.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@FLM911 -- Thanks for posting, great info. Granted, it makes waiting for my March delivery more difficult...but it's a great problem to have.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Nope. Straight up disclaimer that warranty was void with track use.

Kudos to Porsche for finally stepping up and aligning the GT3 warranty policy with their marketing.
This supplement does not mention any warranty policy at all. It's just the required service, maintenance, and inspection intervals for track use, should you assume that risk.

The primary manual would have warranty information. Wonder what that says? Although I have an idea.

I think this supplement makes it imperative to keep meticulous records of any track use to document compliance. Now it's just too easy for them to say - of course the wheel fell off, you didn't follow the protocol.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
This supplement does not mention any warranty policy at all. It's just the required service, maintenance, and inspection intervals for track use, should you assume that risk.

The primary manual would have warranty information. Wonder what that says? Although I have an idea.

I think this supplement makes it imperative to keep meticulous records of any track use to document compliance. Now it's just too easy for them to say - of course the wheel fell off, you didn't follow the protocol.
That doesn't make sense to me. Porsche can't offer specific guidelines on proper track use of the car, including being specific about what's not permitted, and then not warranty that use. But I agree with the need to keep meticulous records to document compliance (shouldn't be a big deal, just keep a log and receipts).
Old 12-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
"The main objective here is to help you insure that your GT3 remains in good technical condition at all times, including during driving on the race circuit.
Under certain circumstances the warranty may be voided if these aspects are not taken into consideration.
"

The direct implication of the wording is that if the additional service aspects ARE followed, the warranty will remain in force. A big step up from the previous "track events will void the warranty" language and very welcome news.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Just let the dealer do all the servicing of the car and there is little Porsche can claim to void the warranty.

Quick Reply: GT3 Race Track Manual