Sponsored by:

First Real World Owners Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay

Half of me agrees with you, the other half thinks it would be nice to be able to enjoy a Porsche year round in MN...
Ah, I missed the C4 part of the C4S you were considering.

However, all wheel drive is not absolutely necessary in cold climates, but good snow tires are. I have a good friend that drives his 997.2 GT3 in colorado year-round, he just puts on high-quality winter tires during those months.

Neither the C4S or the GT3 has any ground clearance to speak of, so right after a big snowstorm, you'll still need to drive an SUV/Truck for those days. For the other 98% of the time, when you're just talking icy roads, I think the GT3 is doable on winter tires.

And just think of the fun you'll have in the spring, summer, and fall!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:46 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Ah, I missed the C4 part of the C4S you were considering.

However, all wheel drive is not absolutely necessary in cold climates, but good snow tires are. I have a good friend that drives his 997.2 GT3 in colorado year-round, he just puts on high-quality winter tires during those months.

Neither the C4S or the GT3 has any ground clearance to speak of, so right after a big snowstorm, you'll still need to drive an SUV/Truck for those days. For the other 98% of the time, when you're just talking icy roads, I think the GT3 is doable on winter tires.

And just think of the fun you'll have in the spring, summer, and fall!
Yeah, aware of winter tires. The C4S has left me stranded downtown at work before due to significant snowfall which is why I still have my Jeep. I am leaning towards the GT3.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:03 PM
APT
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never owned a Porsche, but am seriously considering the GT3. Looks like an incredible machine. One concern is that I'd like to use it as a daily driver with occasional track use (I have a highly modified GTR as a dedicated track car) but live in the NJ/NYC area with horrible roads. Any experience from 997 owners with 20" wheels and how they fair on less than perfect tarmac? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APT
I've never owned a Porsche, but am seriously considering the GT3. Looks like an incredible machine. One concern is that I'd like to use it as a daily driver with occasional track use (I have a highly modified GTR as a dedicated track car) but live in the NJ/NYC area with horrible roads. Any experience from 997 owners with 20" wheels and how they fair on less than perfect tarmac? Thanks.
+1 on this question. I may be moving to NYC in a few years, and I'm wondering about the same thing.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:44 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTomGTA
They fit, the difference in rolling diameter is about 4mm so no problems with ESP and other electronic nannies.
I'm Luxembourg, Europe. We have about 6°C in the day and -3°C at night, Winter rubber is mandatory here.
Have you put some miles on the winter rubber yet? Let us know how it’s working out!
Old 12-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Macca, my wife and I also offer best wishes and prayers for your mate. The older I get, the more reluctant I become to venture out on public roads on any 2 wheeled conveyance. Lost too many friends both on bikes and motorcycles.

I also want to thank you for your many valuable contributions to our forum and wish you Bon Voyage on your journey to Europe. Hopefully your mate will improve during your trip and your joy can return.

Re the GT3, the brake light on the underside of the rear wing is a real surprise. My guess would be that it would break up the underside airflow pattern thus reducing the wing's downforce. Hopefully their aerodynamic engineers anticipated that little problem and taken steps to counteract it.
Fastlane thanks kindly for your well wishes. Ive always enjoyed your posts right back to the old 993 days mate.

Manifold, TomTom and others thanks again for your prayers & well wishes. Ory was finally medivac to Sydney after the plan from New Caledonia turned back due to "technical issues". The french LOL! Luckily he made it through until 11pm and the medivac jet arrived from Sydney (3 hrs) and he arrived there this morning and went into theater shortly after. He had ruptured the wall of an internal artery, bleed out into his lung so they have stabilized that and mad his internal bleed and lungs a priority over his broken bones which included two vertebrae (lucky man has no paralysis!). He will make it through and will chuffed to know all these P-car guys from around the world are rooting for him when he recovers (will send him this thread). Hes a car guy as well as a bike guy bit from now on I suspect a car guy only!

Feedback on first owners drives coming through thick and fast now. Here is one from a multiple GT3 owning Piston-head member who had no preconceived conceptions about the car and was very much a fence sitter with the new gear box. enjoy!

"Just back from a couple of hours driving the car. Unquestionably in my mind the very best Porsche I personally have ever driven. The handling is amazing, the speed at which it changes gear is unbelievable, and I don't think there were many moments where I thought " I wish this was a manual".
What. Is so great is its usability, it is a pussycat when you want it to be, perhaps just slipping along the motorway or around town, but it is scalpel sharp once you get into the twisties. On a section of road I have driven in the Beacons in all my previous cars it is considerably faster all round, through and between the bends - and I've only had it a day. It is so confidence inspiring, and makes you smile like a Cheshire Cat.
The very best bit is the noise, the bang on the up change on full chat between gears is spine tingling. My son and I laugh every time you have a blast of acceleration.

In summary, and apologies for my lack of eloquence above, FANTASTIC!!!!

You may all be annoyed at the wait for your cars, but let me tell you that will all be forgotten once you take it for its first blast."
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Heres another from a UK owner and another picture to go with above...

"Wow. Done a few miles and I think this GT3 is the best car I've ever owned.
Fantastic engine, super sharp turn in, great balance grip and traction and you feel so dialed in to the driving experience.
All those waiting .... Your patient will be rewarded its worth the wait!!!"
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

And heres from a third owner whos feedback I originally published here 36 hrs ago...

"Done 250 miles now and I'm struggling to find any faults, the only thing is the standard automatic map for the gearbox changes up too fast to higher gears, but a quick press of PDK sport sorts that out. Having said that I am 90 percent driving around in manual mode, something I've never done in previous PDK iterations. The handling of this car gives you massive confidence, like night and day compared to my 997 TTS. Situations that unsettled that car simply don't happen in the gt3. High speed stability is also massively improved, the car just feels rock solid. Also it feels damn fast, thought it would feel slower than my old TTS, but it just doesn't. Honestly for the price I just can't think of anything that comes remotely close.

As for non driving stuff the fit and finish and ergonomics is first rate, even the sound package plus provides pretty decent audio. I have the red stitch and carbon interior two options I really rate, the finish on the carbon is awesome and really makes the interior that much more special"
Old 12-01-2013, 01:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

and more Qs & As for those interested....

"Vintage911 said:
Guys, how is the ground clearance in the real world ?? Can you provide some measurements ??

Cheers
Haven't grounded out yet or needed to use the lift. YET!!"
Old 12-01-2013, 01:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

"isaldiri said:
Any comments from those who have received their cars on the electric steering? Steering feel on the 7 gt3s was fabulous i thought so would be interested to see how the 991 gt3 compares.
Heavier than I expected it to be. Felt good to me. Haven't drive a standard 991."

Heres the Clubsport interior....
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2013, 02:11 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Good news on your mate, Macca. Keep us posted on his progress. And thanks for the owner feedback. Love the pics of the Guards Red cars!
Old 12-01-2013, 02:31 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Wow! That red stitching is killer!
I may have to change my order again.

Macca, glad to hear your mate is getting proper care. Best wishes from this side of the pond.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:22 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
"isaldiri said:
Any comments from those who have received their cars on the electric steering? Steering feel on the 7 gt3s was fabulous i thought so would be interested to see how the 991 gt3 compares.
Heavier than I expected it to be. Felt good to me. Haven't drive a standard 991."

Heres the Clubsport interior....
thanks for his thoughts and the photo.

Could I please pass on a request to your friend that has the red stitching on the interior?
I would be very grateful if he could take 5-6 photos of his interior and let's post them for all to see. (or if not, just PM me and I'll send you my email)

I've been dying to see real photos from multiple angles of the GT3 interior done with red stitching on a red car and your friend has both.

Txs
Old 12-01-2013, 04:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree the red stitching looks the bomb in the red GT3. Funnily enough i didnt really like it in the white car as O felt it looked to busy and detracted form the simple and classic interior. However with the red car with red belts the eye is "expecting" this and it looks right. I will try and get some additional pictures for you but I cant promise as the owner is in UK and I only know him from another board (Pistonheads.co.uk)...
Old 12-01-2013, 05:07 AM
TomTomGTA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there,

Winter tires fitted and the car still is great! The engine is bonkers! The gearbox seems telepathic but I drive in mainly in manual (never done that on any previous car, mostly left them in auto) the paddle clutch system is great! Why didn't anybody think of that earlier? It helps a lot if you want to get the car in a rally style slide at slow speeds.
The car feels so connected and sharp it's not normal! It's a very analogue experience. I've never really missed the manual, it allows you to focus on all the info the car gives you about it's grip, poise and honestly I think that considering how the engine revs it'd be a handful with a manual.

I also have the red stitching and everybody says it looks gorgeous and very we'll made. I'll try to put up some photos on Monday!

It's been worth the wait, best car I've ever owned or driven, period.

Quick Reply: First Real World Owners Feedback?