Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on Break In Period for GT3's

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 04:15 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
How is it that there is such ambiguity surrounding something so important? Same on the Ducati forums I've been a part of for years.. It's like trying to debate the existence of god for Christ sake... someone, somewhere, must know the truthiest truth no?
People are pre-programmed for such things, I think. I was told by a BMW engineer in the BMW factory that break-in for the engine in my car at the time was unneeded (not implying it's the same for GT3), and I still took it easy for the first 2000KM. Don't know why.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:49 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Ok, you're telling me you wouldn't feel weird driving your car out of the doors at Leipzig, right into their track and redlining it?

I'm happy if in fact they offer loaners for this purpose.. I don't plan on keeping my car for more than 1-2 yrs.. But I will treat it very carefully, out of respect for the car, and for the next owner so I can look him in the eye and tell him and tell him I did so when I hand the keys over.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Ok, you're telling me you wouldn't feel weird driving your car out of the doors at Leipzig, right into their track and redlining it?

I'm happy if in fact they offer loaners for this purpose.. I don't plan on keeping my car for more than 1-2 yrs.. But I will treat it very carefully, out of respect for the car, and for the next owner so I can look him in the eye and tell him and tell him I did so when I hand the keys over.
+1
Old 11-28-2013, 01:36 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Manufacturers would not a sell a product that cannot be used.

Imagine how many warrantee dollars Porsche would have to spend fixing every car that got damaged in "break in" time.

If break in was absolutely crucial - the company would have rev limiters,etc for the first 500 miles.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-

Imagine how many warrantee dollars Porsche would have to spend fixing every car that got damaged in "break in" time.

If break in was absolutely crucial - the company would have rev limiters,etc for the first 500 miles.
Improper break-in could manifest problems well beyond the warranty period. I don't have data to support that, but the possibility needs to be considered in response to your argument.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Improper break-in could manifest problems well beyond the warranty period. I don't have data to support that, but the possibility needs to be considered in response to your argument.
If that was the case, Porsche should make it mandatory that break-in guidelines be followed. I feel very confident Porsche would lose the case in court if problems arose after the warranty period which were directly attributable to not following break-in guidelines.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:34 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I bet that the problems, if any, from improper break-in will be subtle and not warranty-worthy. Like having to add a liter of oil every 2000 miles instead of none or having a PDK that doesn't seem to shift as crisply or a water pump failing at 60000 miles or a weird vibration that can't fixed.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:00 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
If that was the case, Porsche should make it mandatory that break-in guidelines be followed. I feel very confident Porsche would lose the case in court if problems arose after the warranty period which were directly attributable to not following break-in guidelines.
I really want to think about litigation regarding warranty issues when buying any new car, let alone a $150k one. Porsche has their recommended break in advice and claim following said advice will attain a longer service life and better performance. If people choose to ignore that and input their own proprietary break-in procedure based on past experiences, bench talk, internet data and so on, so be it. They may be right, fact is no one has yet to prove it with tangible data.

Simple fact IS, without irrefuttable evidence to support ignoring the manual, the best action is to adhere to it, imho.

Countless people can tout how their method is best because their cars have not broken and/or run hard compared to others. Contrarily, I can attest to how hard my numerous cars, crotch rockets and custom built harley engine ran using the manufacturer's recoomendation; without mechanical issues.

My belief is any issues that may arise with a hard break in would be evident later in the car's service life. That may not be important to some.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:02 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-

Not if the sh*t happens post warranty.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:25 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I attended the driving school out at Spring Mountain and asked the same question about the Corvettes that come from GM to the school. The instructors perform the 500 mile break-in as perscribed in the manual before students use the cars. The explaination given was that beyond the engine, the entire drive train is being "broken in", the transmission, the differential, etc.

The 2000 mile duration of the Porsche recommended break-in is surprising - just seems very long, the 500 mile GM break-in period for the Corvette seems pretty reasonable.

What break-in is performed on a Cup/RSR motor before a major endurance race like the Rolex 24 or Le Mans ? Le Mans is over 3000 miles in racing conditions with no significant service.

Ryan
Old 11-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry

The 2000 mile duration of the Porsche recommended break-in is surprising - just seems very long, the 500 mile GM break-in period for the Corvette seems pretty reasonable.
Agree. 2000 miles is too long. However, not breaking it in all is likely not a good a idea. For 500 miles I can control myself, but after that.......time to play.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:33 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

What about the break-in procedure for the Interior?.. Especially those of us who opted for the $150k looking red stitching..
Old 11-29-2013, 01:01 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

What about the break-in procedure for the Interior?.. Especially those of us who opted for the $150k looking red stitching..
Don't use the cup holders for the first 100 miles, only water for the next 100 miles, then let'er rip.

Ryan
Old 11-29-2013, 01:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

take mac with u.
give him coffee cup
she likes to shake it
after the mess, chew him out.
then u b ok with interior
Old 11-29-2013, 02:23 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

I've seen this discussion for several years. -- in the end, to each is own. Enjoy your car however you see fit.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on Break In Period for GT3's