Sponsored by:

resale color

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:13 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Does anyone have one of these traffic camera flash detector units? Does it really work?
I think the Myth Busters did a show testing all the various contraptions. None really worked.

As far as Amaranth, it is very nice in person. Very similar to the Ruby Red from the 997. It has a slightly more brown tint though and looks a bit muddled in low light. In the sun it's awesome. Right now, that's what I have ordered. I may still change it to Sapphire Blue before the freeze date. Probably a better GT3 color - and significantly less expensive. Had Guards Red before - too much for me.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:25 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Amaranth looks nice and deep compared to guards red plus its metallic. Sold my guards red last year. Wish guards red was darker and metallic. $3K is steep for Amaranth. $700 would have been more like it. Love to see it in person. GEE'S, wish we had more choices. Darn it
Old 11-20-2013, 02:26 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
The Amaranth Red metallic looks nice and deep. Those who ordered guards red, did you consider the Amaranth Red metallic? Anyone has pictures or seen this color in person?

I am getting to like this color but have not seen it in person. I wonder
I thought about it. It looks nice in pictures, but I don't like it any more than Guards and it's a $3K option. I was also hesitant to consider something that I hadn't seen in person. Guards Red is a classic Porsche color and I felt it was more appropriate to the GT3, but YMMV.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Amaranth Red metallic looks nice and deep. Those who ordered guards red, did you consider the Amaranth Red metallic? Anyone has pictures or seen this color in person?

I am getting to like this color but have not seen it in person. I wonder
I have seen Amaranth, but ordered guards. They are completely different. I saw the Amaranth car in bright sunshine and IIRC it had a lot of orange in it. In any case, I didn't give it a second look.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Amaranth looks nice and deep compared to guards red plus its metallic. Sold my guards red last year. Wish guards red was darker and metallic. $3K is steep for Amaranth. $700 would have been more like it. Love to see it in person. GEE'S, wish we had more choices. Darn it
Certainly agree having more choices would be nice, and wish that the "special colors" were more reasonably priced. The only colors that I personally considered seriously were the silvers and red as for one reason or another none of the others did it for me, and some of the choices from the recent past like Meteor Gray or Maritime Blue that I might have considered weren't available as non-PTS colors. My last 3 Porsche sports cars were silver so I had to go red this time.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Drifting, basically at the end of the day as you can see everyone is telling you to choose the same color as they chose for their own car. You may want to check the color poll and you can see white is the color of choice

cheers
I have really enjoyed reading the comments from everyone. Interesting and entertaining.

I was beginning to settle on Rhodium silver by the time I started this thread, however, after watching the video from EVO.....
I'm again learning toward Guards Red. I think we've settled that I could sell a GT3 in any color but purple this fall, and find plenty of buyers.

Now it's finding what feels right. The car is so bad-*** that anything but racing white, red, or black seems to slight its capabilities. If I keep it, I would likely drive it a lot, could become a DD. Red seems a little over the top for a DD, but hell, I'm in my late thirties, I want to go red while I still can. Not sure if I'll order any non Ferrari sports car in Red, when I reach my seventies.

However, I'm not really a "look at me" kind of guy, so Rhodium silver is still a close #2. Decisions, Decisions.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-20-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-20-2013, 11:43 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having had 6 911's in black and yellow, a red fiat, and a **** ton of bmw's in black and white, being in my 40's, it's not about 'looky me colors'.

It's about what makes your heart skip a half beat when you open the garage.

Guards for me.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:18 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I think we've settled that I could sell a GT3 in any color but purple this fall, and find plenty of buyers.
No, purple will sell too! You shouldn't underestimate the beauty of 'Aubergine' on the body of a 911 Porsche! So don't sell this gorgeous 'eggplant' hue short! It is a historic 'long hood' factory color (MY1972/1973) that might look damn good on a 991 gt3...if someone is daring enough to special order via PTS!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2013, 02:46 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Eduardo, in the GT3 paint to sample thread (post #65) there's a pic of a car (shown below) identified as Aubergine that looks much different than your photo above. Hard to believe that lighting or the tint in the pic is the cause. If this isn't Aubergine, do you know what it is?
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2013, 03:05 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

The one that z356 posted is from an old Porsche brochure back in the early '70's and to my eye after seeing Aubergine many times has too much blue in it. (making it too purple)

The pic I posted was of recently painted Aubergine, indoors, using a digital camera.
Indoor pics of Aubergine tend to show the reds more. If you look at the outdoor light
reflection on the door, you can see how the Aubergine shows more blues with outdoor light.

Here's an outdoor pic of Aubergine, using a digital camera, which shows the more blue (purple) tone while outdoors.
Both are accurate.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Personally I think GT silver is one of the classiest and oddly "complex" colors offered for the new palate. Agate is OK, White is always hot just not my sports car color of choice, the blues are nice but boring for blue...and red/yellow was a no go for me...so I went GT silver (after seeing rhodium was too light for me).
Old 11-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks for the explanation, A432!

Sechsgang, GT Silver is a great color. I've had too many silver cars so "had" to do something different, but GTS is a wonderful choice for the GT3.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:27 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
This.

Choose the color you want provided that it's not a super polarizing PTS color. Like a nasty green or violet or something. All the mainstream colors should prove easy to sell given the supply demand curve around when you would sell. Picking your color has the added benefit of hedging your bets since there some probability that your oversees plans could change and/or you decide to hold the car.

That said, here are my views:

Black is awesome but (i) it's a PITA having owned 5 black 911's including my current 3.6 Turbo, and (ii) while great for that stealth 'murdered' look, it doesn't show off the lines of the new car at all, and w/o much silver/chrome accents it looks too washed out to me.

White: as you said not an option. I agree with this.

Red: I chose guards for my upcoming build. I've had a Ferrari in red and I don't think you need to 'reserve' it for the italian machine. And, I actually prefer F cars in grigio and tdf blue cause red attracts even more (unwanted) attentioon from a car that is already rare and over the top. I haven't owned a red car in nearly 20 years (except for the Ferrari), but the 991 looks great in red so I had to do it.

Yellow: I loved my speed yellow GT3 but been there done that. It's even more polarizing than red. I sold it after 6 months cause I decided to pick up an older, rarer aircooled car and buy a second home. But, if it's any help, I sold the GT3 within 4 days of listing it, and I had people coming out of the woodwork to buy it.

Silver: I don't like silver in general b/c too common, but even I will admit that the 991 looks great in rhodium. Not enough for me to choose that color, but it looks great.

Color is the hardest choice. I'm actually contemplating PTS in Mexico Blue or Gulf Blue. . . . .
color is totally subjective....get what you like
Old 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You lose an equal amount of money when you sell no matter what the color.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Aubergine

Originally Posted by A432
The one that z356 posted is from an old Porsche brochure back in the early '70's and to my eye after seeing Aubergine many times has too much blue in it. (making it too purple)

The pic I posted was of recently painted Aubergine, indoors, using a digital camera.
Indoor pics of Aubergine tend to show the reds more. If you look at the outdoor light
reflection on the door, you can see how the Aubergine shows more blues with outdoor light.

Here's an outdoor pic of Aubergine, using a digital camera, which shows the more blue (purple) tone while outdoors.
Both are accurate.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Eduardo, in the GT3 paint to sample thread (post #65) there's a pic of a car (shown below) identified as Aubergine that looks much different than your photo above. Hard to believe that lighting or the tint in the pic is the cause. If this isn't Aubergine, do you know what it is?

Mike: The factory original 'Aubergine' color of the 1972/1973 911 was pretty spectacular. I was around Porsche dealers in 1973 and remember that 911 color at the showroom floor! Like many dark hues of old, it doesn't age very well with time on an original paint car. The paint technology then was not as advanced as today's. And one has to be very careful with cars that have been repainted 'Aubergine' since many may not have been truly copied correctly re: the original paint formula. Finally, photos often do not capture correctly certain colors of paint.

Some of you might remember my friend's (fellow R Gruppe member Kent Moore) original 'Aubergine' paint 1973 911T Coupe. It had only 700 miles when he bought it several years ago! Here is the interesting story of this car as reported by Excellence (which also includes a photo gallery of it). The photographs of the car reveal how difficult it is to capture the essence of this rare 'Aubergine' factory original color!

http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...2#.Uo8FHyiA2kg

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: resale color