Sponsored by:

20" 5 lug wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 20" 5 lug wheels

Noticed that on the 991 Turbo/S that they have the option to have 5 lug wheels and CL.
Why not have the same option on the GT3?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:46 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because the GT3 has a mandatory poser requirement.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:28 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

^really?

Ok, we get it, man. Anyone that can't drive as well as you that is getting a 991GT3 is a poser. You've made your point. Unfortunately, not all of us have the talent or experience yet.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Psh, don't fear the Dez...I'm getting a 991 GT3 and am ready to pose, because I'm an incredibly slow driver and want to look all good and racy for the public...

Btw, hows it hanging ol buddy?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Tell me again how it's just all about "having the choice", and not putdowns......
Old 09-06-2013, 02:14 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

It's about being able to not have to have cl and all it issues and complexity, opens up a world of wheel choice and option to try 19" wheels since I doubt 18's will have the clearance.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I get that jumper; those are legit points. Just don't get the name calling....
Old 09-06-2013, 02:30 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by jumper5836
It's about being able to not have to have cl and all it issues and complexity, opens up a world of wheel choice and option to try 19" wheels since I doubt 18's will have the clearance.

Exactly. They won't give you a choice not to look like a poser weather you want to or not, regardless of driving skill.

Makes absolutely no sense at all, along with many of Porsche's other choices. Porsche is chasing an image now, there is little genuine left.

Some people are too sensitive.......

Originally Posted by orthojoe
^really?

Ok, we get it, man. Anyone that can't drive as well as you that is getting a 991GT3 is a poser. You've made your point. Unfortunately, not all of us have the talent or experience yet.
You missed my point. It doesn't matter if you can drive or not. Porsche won't allow you to opt not to have racy CL's on your GT3. Even if I bought one, it would still be a poser move (by Porsche). Nobody's actually racing street GT3's and Porsche knows that because they laugh all the way to the bank on cup car sales. Like I said, it's about image.

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Psh, don't fear the Dez...I'm getting a 991 GT3 and am ready to pose, because I'm an incredibly slow driver and want to look all good and racy for the public...

Btw, hows it hanging ol buddy?
All good man, how about you? You still have the Cup?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:09 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, but if you follow that line of logic, then any Porsche other than a cup car is 'poser'. That would include your TT
Old 09-06-2013, 03:58 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I come to this forum and others for comradery, not for pissing matches. Lets get back on subjective topics and be friends here. This has been happening a lot lately and just NOT cool.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:20 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yeah, but if you follow that line of logic, then any Porsche other than a cup car is 'poser'. That would include your TT
You are still taking this personally. But I digress, how exactly is every other Porsche a poser?

Last I checked every car did not come with CL's standard with no other option for no good reason at all. What good reason is there for EVERY GT3 to be required to have CL's?

Accounting again?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wanna911
You are still taking this personally. But I digress, how exactly is every other Porsche a poser?

Last I checked every car did not come with CL's standard with no other option for no good reason at all. What good reason is there for EVERY GT3 to be required to have CL's?

Accounting again?
I'm just not sure what you are trying to achieve here. It's obvious you are going to trash everything about the 991GT3 and anyone who wants to get one. At first I thought it was just the whole PDK thing, but now it's the wheels. I'm pretty sure 4WS and a non Mezger is next up.

The CLs are a sticking point because of their prior history of failure. Do you know for certain that the new redesign will still fail the same way? I've changed CLs, and with the correct tools, it's not a big deal to do. If we're calling components that fail a sign of a poser car, then I'm calling out the coolant hose failure and variocam adjuster failures on the Mezger in your TT.

Wouldn't having A/C and a radio in your TT, a standard option that you can't opt out of be considered poser with your criteria as well? Who wants those options? They aren't in a race car, add weight, and they don't improve performance.

Let's talk about the AWD system in your TT. Doesn't that take away some of the challenge that you love to talk about? AWD makes it sooo easy. Point and shoot. 'Real' enthusiasts run RWD, not AWD. (I don't believe that statement one single bit and have nothing against AWD, but hopefully you can see my point)

By your criteria, every Porsche would be a poser car because there are compromises made to make it a street car. Therefore, the only true car for you is a cup car. I'm not taking this personally, and I'm not trying to start 'something' with you. I'm just trying, likely in vain, to open your mind a bit to see the other side of the fence. I get that you're upset about no MT. Just don't let your anger blind you from everything else, because you're starting to not make sense anymore.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I think he dropped the front drive to shave off the 80lbs. The 996tt can be a proper rwd car np, not so with the 997tt.

also you may like CL and not have a problem with changing them but I can't be bothered to buy tools and go through the hassle nor does the tire shops I goto have the tools. I have the tools for changing out 5 lug wheels and it's simple and I don't have to worry about a shop screwing some thing up by not following the proper procedure.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I think he dropped the front drive to save the 80lbs. The 996tt can be a proper rwd car np. Not so with the 997tt.
Impressive, but that means he had to modify the car to his liking. It didn't come from the factory that way. Some people with CLs and have modified to 5 lug setups. Arguably much simpler to do than convert an AWD car to RWD.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Step back from the cliff dude. It's not that serious.

I trash PDK, 4WS and CL's. That's all, but whatever floats your boat.

The CL's are poser material because the purpose of CL's is to reduce weight and wheel change time WHILE RACING. The Gen 1 offered zero weight savings and more danger. 100% poser to look like a race car while endangering the driver, and having ridiculous replacement intervals to boot, and for what? Not to mention they are 20's! Weight savings out the window. If that's not a gimmick then what is?

Feel free to answer the question I asked at any time, what good reason is there not to have an option?

A Coolant hose failure is poser? It's bad engineering, and Porsche's support is pathetic. But talk about bad logic........

PST. Hate to break this to you, but my Turbo is RWD......... SMH.

Quick Reply: 20" 5 lug wheels