Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My order is in

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

you guys are going to have a blast in this new GT3. Im told wapping through the paddles is entertaining.

car goes like a raped ape!

Would love a test ride in this car more so then a 4.0L just cause of the new charactisitics
Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Mike, I am still agonizing over whether to get the PCCB's (I believe I still have a couple of days). Rationally, I say for everyday use the difference between the two brakes are marginal. Porsche has always had terrific steel brakes. Yet, those in the "know" swear by them. I concluded for my needs, steel brakes are more than satisfactory. Then again, I may change my mind tomorrow.
Originally Posted by orthojoe
Be careful with PCCB marketing. I wouldn't listen to Hurley Haywood. Him and his buddies at the Porsche sport driving school told my friend that they pound on PCCB all day long and never have to change rotors because they last forever. Fast forward 3 years later after my friend buys a PCCB equipped car, tracks it for a few days, already has worn rotors, and THEN gets a letter from Porsche warning him that PCCB will wear with track use. True story.
I don't mean to turn Dave's order thread into a PCCB discussion, but at least we're not arguing about MT versus PDK!

I agree Nick, that the steel brakes would be more than satisfactory, and I'm sure, Joe, that your points about marketing claims and wear are valid. The input I was looking for in talking with various people and reading reviews is whether I'd be able to tell a difference with PCCB's, and given my intended use for the car, would I be buying a huge headache. The consensus from those I talked to was yes on the difference and as for the headache, only if I was unlucky or decide to track much more heavily than I plan. The announced availability of interchangeable steel rotors from Porsche in the proper sizes helped alleviate that last concern.

The "worth it" question is somewhat irrelevant to me. It's hard to objectively justify spending $9K (about an extra 7%) to replace perfectly good brakes. OTOH, others spend an extra 7% on interior leather bits, stitching, LED lights, special colors, etc. and that's not objectively justifiable either. But it's what they want on a special car, and I guess that's part of my reason for getting PCCB's. That and the fact that I'd love to get back the 30lbs I'm adding with the adaptive sport seats. And no brake dust!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:18 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave C4S Cab
What a great surprise... Dealer called today with an opportunity to move up to a build with an estimated Jan 10,2014 delivery date and I just came back from finalizing the order.
I was originally scheduled for a 2014 4th Qtr build, now I'll be set for spring next year.
Congratulations Dave,
Come visit us in Florida and you can exercise your new toy at Sebring without
waiting for Spring.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:07 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't mean to turn Dave's order thread into a PCCB discussion, but at least we're not arguing about MT versus PDK!

I agree Nick, that the steel brakes would be more than satisfactory, and I'm sure, Joe, that your points about marketing claims and wear are valid. The input I was looking for in talking with various people and reading reviews is whether I'd be able to tell a difference with PCCB's, and given my intended use for the car, would I be buying a huge headache. The consensus from those I talked to was yes on the difference and as for the headache, only if I was unlucky or decide to track much more heavily than I plan. The announced availability of interchangeable steel rotors from Porsche in the proper sizes helped alleviate that last concern.

The "worth it" question is somewhat irrelevant to me. It's hard to objectively justify spending $9K (about an extra 7%) to replace perfectly good brakes. OTOH, others spend an extra 7% on interior leather bits, stitching, LED lights, special colors, etc. and that's not objectively justifiable either. But it's what they want on a special car, and I guess that's part of my reason for getting PCCB's. That and the fact that I'd love to get back the 30lbs I'm adding with the adaptive sport seats. And no brake dust!
Mike, I'm not trying to talk you out of PCCB, but I would like to let you know my experience with it. Until replacement costs are reasonable, I will never get PCCB. It's a common misconception that PCCB will stop better. It is lighter and fade resistant. That's it. Here's my take on each advantage:

1) lighter - I replaced my PCCB with iron and felt NO difference in the car at all. Instead my lap times dropped because I could run track compound pads. Pros can probably tell the difference, but since you're an amateur like me, it's highly unlikely we will be able to tell the difference.
2) fade resistant - Porsche makes sure their iron brakes are fade resistant as well. After switching to iron, my brakes have never faded or overheated. Not even a hint.

In my opinion, the reasons to get PCCB:

1) It looks cooler because of the size of the calipers/rotors
2) Less brake dust (you still get dust, just not as much)
Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks Joe, for your honest evaluation. For good or ill, I think I'm committed but maybe it will help Nick and others decide.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, I'm not trying to talk you out of PCCB, but I would like to let you know my experience with it. Until replacement costs are reasonable, I will never get PCCB. It's a common misconception that PCCB will stop better. It is lighter and fade resistant. That's it. Here's my take on each advantage:

1) lighter - I replaced my PCCB with iron and felt NO difference in the car at all. Instead my lap times dropped because I could run track compound pads. Pros can probably tell the difference, but since you're an amateur like me, it's highly unlikely we will be able to tell the difference.
2) fade resistant - Porsche makes sure their iron brakes are fade resistant as well. After switching to iron, my brakes have never faded or overheated. Not even a hint.

FWIW, the platinum painted wheels on the 991 hide brake dust very well. I would think that the GT3 wheels will be similar.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:04 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

And no brake dust!
I object to that comment :-)

My understanding is that the big problem with brake wear for both steel and ceramic brakes is running with PASM on - while on the track. Wears out the rears very quickly - ceramic or steel. I don't have the skill or courage to run with PASM off while on the track. Replacement cost difference between steel and ceramic is huge.

Last edited by brake dust; 09-05-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust

My understanding is that the big problem with brake wear for both steel and ceramic brakes is running with PASM on - while on the track. Wears out the rears very quickly - ceramic or steel. I don't have the skill or courage to run with PASM off while on the track. Replacement cost difference between steel and ceramic is huge.
While this can be true, my front PCCB is showing wear and not my rear.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

Oh, and in case you want a leather steering wheel instead of one covered in Alcantera, you need to specify the Sport Design Steering Wheel option 840. And the extended range fuel tank option 082. All of these are $0 options.
Careful with that. In the TT S, if you optioned that steering wheel, I think it comes with those crappy buttons in lieu of paddles.

I got the same call last week to accelerate my order and build.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Over night I decided I would not get the PCCB's. Your input makes me feel a lot better. BTW, regarding brakes dust, as has been pointed out the platinum wheels hide most of the dust and those that have PCCB's still have to wipe down the wheels after use. Also, I understand there is not much of a weight difference between the steel and PCCB's in the GT3 because of the size of the PCCB's not that I would notice.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:35 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Good call Nick. My Porsche Dealer quoted me $20,000 for 4 Ceramic rotors vs under $2,000 for steel.
When tire changing, it is very easy to chip or crack the Ceramics while the Steel Rotors can take any abuse
a ham-handed Tire store throws at you. The most recent reports from track guys are finding the Ceramics
may last longer on the street, but apparently not on the track. Personally, I would not want my Brake costs
on the track to exceed my Tire, Engine and Suspension costs. Best of luck with your new GT3. Mine scheduled for November build. Waiting not easy!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats.. I'm trying to get one for early 2014. Dealer says they will know situation better in Sept.. I just want to give them $. - -Hope this is true..??? - - This will be first Porsche. Seems like guys who bought a spider, or bought like 10 Porsche's in the past are getting better info..
Old 09-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Careful with that. In the TT S, if you optioned that steering wheel, I think it comes with those crappy buttons in lieu of paddles.

I got the same call last week to accelerate my order and build.
I don't know about the TT S but on the GT3 it comes with paddles.....

SportDesign steering wheel
Includes: - Steering wheel with sporty design
- Paddle shifters for manual gear selection
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by brake dust

Oops....it wasn't intended to be personal.

Do you mean PSM, not PASM?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Good call Nick. My Porsche Dealer quoted me $20,000 for 4 Ceramic rotors vs under $2,000 for steel.
When tire changing, it is very easy to chip or crack the Ceramics while the Steel Rotors can take any abuse
a ham-handed Tire store throws at you. The most recent reports from track guys are finding the Ceramics
may last longer on the street, but apparently not on the track. Personally, I would not want my Brake costs
on the track to exceed my Tire, Engine and Suspension costs. Best of luck with your new GT3. Mine scheduled for November build. Waiting not easy!
The new Gen 3 ceramics are supposed to be much improved over the previous versions with regard to wear, but for heavy track use steels are surely the answer. Porsche also offers steel substitutes for the new ceramics in the proper sizes. That said, I get your point; how the car will be used in addition to the cost plays a big part in the decision.

Quick Reply: My order is in