Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: PCCB or Steel Brakes on your 991 GT3?
PCCBs, the car is for street driving only.
22.76%
PCCBs, and I'll track it that way too.
22.46%
PCCB, but buying steel rotors or system for track.
6.68%
Steel brakes, it's the way I roll.
48.10%
Voters: 659. You may not vote on this poll

PCCB or Steel on your 991 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I got steel rather than the PCCBs and it was a combo of red caliper color, proven performance, cost, trade-off on other options, ect ect.. One thing that did deter me is that it has been conveyed that it does take the PCCBs a little time to warm up. That did bother me a little bit because I live in the Midwest and do not track my car so I had a little concern.
It that valid info??
Old 07-11-2014, 12:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I got steel rather than the PCCBs and it was a combo of red caliper color, proven performance, cost, trade-off on other options, ect ect.. One thing that did deter me is that it has been conveyed that it does take the PCCBs a little time to warm up. That did bother me a little bit because I live in the Midwest and do not track my car so I had a little concern.
It that valid info??
You're thinking way too much into it. PCCB totally fine for street driving, even when not warmed up. It's not like the car isn't going to stop when cold. That being said, unless brake dust bothers you, you made the right choice.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:30 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Seriously... With the help of technology We have figured out fairy dust, but we cant figure out how to fix brake dust?

Edit. Sorry, I was just informed that we actually haven't figured out fairy dust.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

That is why I liked the Satin finished rims. You will not notice the dust that much and after some hard driving it will just look Powder coated black any way
Old 07-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Bill_CS4 - Awesome analysis! This reinforces what many have been telling us here on rennlist. Great to see the actual data. I went with steel. The cost savings afforded me some other options that were more important to me. Thanks for presenting the facts!

Dave
Old 07-12-2014, 06:48 AM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finalised by build for Oct build. I have gone for PCCB. Mainly for weight consideration being approximately 45pct lighter than the steel option I thought it was worth it.

I won't be tracking the car much. Maybe 2 sessions / year and not as aggressively as you guys do in the States, so I hope they should be up to the task.

I might have calipers repainted Guard Red to match the stitching so it will definitely not be one for "showing off" ;-)
Old 07-12-2014, 05:31 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure asking if you track the car is a good gauge of what brakes you should order?

Some guys drive harder on the street than others do on the track.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:23 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rosino
Just finalised by build for Oct build. I have gone for PCCB. Mainly for weight consideration being approximately 45pct lighter than the steel option I thought it was worth it.

I won't be tracking the car much. Maybe 2 sessions / year and not as aggressively as you guys do in the States, so I hope they should be up to the task.

I might have calipers repainted Guard Red to match the stitching so it will definitely not be one for "showing off" ;-)
Impossible to notice the weight difference on the road. Very difficult to notice weight difference on the track.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Ceramics are a money maker and in future high performance cars Porsche probably will make them standard and charge according.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
So much of the (perceived) difference in PCCB vs Steel performance is down to the initial bite point.... with the stock ceramics & pads running a rather more aggressive set up in this respect. you can replicate with steels by switching to a pad with a stronger initial bite....say PFC08s. also found the ensuing of interest in the PCCB vs Steel debate, herewith courtesy of fioran0 on Pistonheads: "Heres a graph from an independent brake test done on various cars. Of interest here of course is the 911 with and without PCCB. 350mm PCCB with 6 pots, 330mm Steels with 4 pots IIRC. Each cycle contains 5 brake stops from 100mph - 0mph with 20 second gaps between the stops. The first stop in each cycle was done using approx half brake force (0.5G) to measure pedal and the next 4 stops were done with maximum braking force (hence the panic stop label) from 100mph to 0 mph to complete that cycle. This complete cycle was then repeated until fade presented itself (or i presume boredom kicked in in the case of the Porsches and Corvette). You will note that the Steel and PCCB cars perform the same and without fade even after almost 50 repeat stops. You can see the BMW progressively loses its brakes from 4th cycle onwards and the Nismo Z hits full fade midway through cycle 3. I believe the Porsches were on Pirelli P Zero, the Vette on Goodyear Eagle."
Exactly! The initial bite is huge. The mclaren had the same type of bit on its ceramics. I literally tap the pedal and the car comes to a screeching halt. Relative to steels you felt like your foot hit the floor and your waiting for the car to stop. Obviously a subjective comment. Not nearly as technical and accurate as bills post
Old 07-12-2014, 09:18 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Just finalised by build for Oct build. I have gone for PCCB. Mainly for weight consideration being approximately 45pct lighter than the steel option I thought it was worth it. I won't be tracking the car much. Maybe 2 sessions / year and not as aggressively as you guys do in the States, so I hope they should be up to the task. I might have calipers repainted Guard Red to match the stitching so it will definitely not be one for "showing off" ;-)
If you are able to get Porsche to repaint the calipers, let us know. Great idea from a color perspective anyway
Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Bill's post is very interesting. There have been significant changes in PCCB's over the 3 generations, though, so this may or may not be the last word on the issue.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:17 AM
rosino
Advanced

Originally Posted by CAlexio
If you are able to get Porsche to repaint the calipers, let us know. Great idea from a color perspective anyway
Your dealer should be able to do it. Mine is Porsche GB owned and offered to repaint them.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:27 AM
rosino
Advanced

Originally Posted by TrackFan
I'm not sure asking if you track the car is a good gauge of what brakes you should order?

Some guys drive harder on the street than others do on the track.
I think intensive "auto cross" usage as you do in the US would indeed be a killer for PCCB brakes. Soft track or fast road should be ok.

I doubt anybody can drive on the street at 100pct of the car potential unless they want to either kill somebody or get arrested pretty quickly.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I think intensive "auto cross" usage as you do in the US would indeed be a killer for PCCB brakes. Soft track or fast road should be ok.
??? autocross? You mean where you drive for less than 2 minutes around cones? Brakes don't even get heated up in that period of time and that speed. If anything, PCCB is ideal for autocross. Will never wear out, and good bite without having to switch to track compound pads. Although, IMO, running a GT3 at an autocross is like running a wild mustang around a dog park...

I've seen an interesting phenomenon where guys who autocross and have never tracked OR autocross and totally suck on a real track seem to think that autocross is more brutal on the car than doing a road course at speed...

Quick Reply: PCCB or Steel on your 991 GT3?