Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: PCCB or Steel Brakes on your 991 GT3?
PCCBs, the car is for street driving only.
22.76%
PCCBs, and I'll track it that way too.
22.46%
PCCB, but buying steel rotors or system for track.
6.68%
Steel brakes, it's the way I roll.
48.10%
Voters: 659. You may not vote on this poll

PCCB or Steel on your 991 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

^^^ Genius!
Old 07-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Dlff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCCB or no PCCB & that is the question I have been asking myself. PCCB's advantages are lower weight & brake dust free. As far as stopping power is concerned I don't think & I maybe wrong here there is not much difference as Porsche is very well known when it comes to stopping power. Coming back to lower weight I doubt if I can really feel the difference in weight difference as I don't claim to be an expert driver. I have driven both the 991 GT3 & TTS equipped with PCCB on track. Honestly speaking I can't really tell if it stops better than steel. If I'm not lazy enuf to clean the wheels & enjoy cleaning my pride & joy then brake dust is not an issue. I think at the end of the day is just a question of whether you are willing to spend so much for the PCCB. Also is it true that PCCB is not covered by warranty?
With the money that you can spend on the PCCB wouldn't it be better to take up a couple of individual Porsche Driving Course?
Old 07-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlff
PCCB or no PCCB & that is the question I have been asking myself. PCCB's advantages are lower weight & brake dust free. As far as stopping power is concerned I don't think & I maybe wrong here there is not much difference as Porsche is very well known when it comes to stopping power. Coming back to lower weight I doubt if I can really feel the difference in weight difference as I don't claim to be an expert driver. I have driven both the 991 GT3 & TTS equipped with PCCB on track. Honestly speaking I can't really tell if it stops better than steel. If I'm not lazy enuf to clean the wheels & enjoy cleaning my pride & joy then brake dust is not an issue. I think at the end of the day is just a question of whether you are willing to spend so much for the PCCB. Also is it true that PCCB is not covered by warranty?
With the money that you can spend on the PCCB wouldn't it be better to take up a couple of individual Porsche Driving Course?
It's not true that PCCB's aren't covered by warranty. Also, I don't mind cleaning my pride and joy but having wheels that look dirty again after 30 miles of driving is annoying.

Just musing here, but I find the argument about weight interesting. I've read plenty of posts from people bragging about their new big-dollar lightweight wheels that save 3 or 4 pounds each, and how they can feel the difference in acceleration or handling. But save 8 pounds or so a wheel with PCCB's and all of a sudden saving that much un-sprung weight is insignificant.

I think it just goes to show that we tend to find ways to justify how we do or don't spend our money.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

I think it just goes to show that we tend to find ways to justify how we do or don't spend our money.
on this side of the pond....its termed Man-Maths

"noun, plural: the process of making the hopelessly unaffordable seem unequivocally financially logical. See also; self-denial, head in sand, massive balloon"

cf: http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/pis...s-t-shirt.html
Old 08-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I did it for clean wheels and lighter weight. I had a 2007 GT3RS, and when I changed from stock wheels to identical size but lighter Kinesis 1-piece forged wheels along with PCCB, boy did I feel the difference even at moderate speeds in the canyons. The car stopped way earlier than before and the car behind me got so close I was stunned. I had to recalibrate my senses and brake later from there on. I want my GT3 (being the highest overall-performing street Porsche available now) to have the best spec and best possible performance possible, and thus PCCB was a given.
After all, my 458 came with ceramics as standard (all Ferraris since 2008 has ceramics standard). I think it is the best possible street brakes with money not being a factor. On the track, it should still outperform all steel brakes except that it will cost a lot more to replace after heavy track use.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

It's not true that PCCB's aren't covered by warranty. Also, I don't mind cleaning my pride and joy but having wheels that look dirty again after 30 miles of driving is annoying.

Just musing here, but I find the argument about weight interesting. I've read plenty of posts from people bragging about their new big-dollar lightweight wheels that save 3 or 4 pounds each, and how they can feel the difference in acceleration or handling. But save 8 pounds or so a wheel with PCCB's and all of a sudden saving that much un-sprung weight is insignificant.

Exactly.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
on this side of the pond....its termed Man-Maths "noun, plural: the process of making the hopelessly unaffordable seem unequivocally financially logical. See also; self-denial, head in sand, massive balloon" cf: http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/pis...s-t-shirt.html
Got that T shirt Bill and wearing it today LOL!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:27 AM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Just found out from the article in Excellence magazine that the PCCB is 40 lbs lighter than the steel ones! 40 lbs less in unstrung weight. Wow! That totally makes it worthwhile for me on a car like this.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:37 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
Just found out from the article in Excellence magazine that the PCCB is 40 lbs lighter than the steel ones! 40 lbs less in unstrung weight. Wow! That totally makes it worthwhile for me on a car like this.
Wow, really?!?! That seems like a much greater weight savings than precious gens of PCCB?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Wow, really?!?! That seems like a much greater weight savings than precious gens of PCCB?
We've discussed this before. Porsche has claimed a 10 lb savings per corner with PCCBs in the past. The question is, when comparing the stock 380mm cast iron 991 GT3 rotor to the new 3rd generation 410mm ceramic ones, does the larger ceramic rotor eat into that weight difference, or is it still 10 lbs? Doing a little back of the napkin math, the assumption was that the difference might be down to around 8 lbs, which is still a lot.

I don't know which Excellence article Terence is referring to so maybe they've measured in real life. It's just that sometimes Porsche's marketing guys haven't caught up with the latest info, as we've seen from some of the mistakes on the website. It would be nice if we had actual weights of the two different rotors for a valid comparison.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:06 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

+1. Very true. Just don't forget it applies to those that purchase pccb as well.

I did it for clean wheels and lighter weight. I had a 2007 GT3RS, and when I changed from stock wheels to identical size but lighter Kinesis 1-piece forged wheels along with PCCB, boy did I feel the difference even at moderate speeds in the canyons. The car stopped way earlier than before and the car behind me got so close I was stunned. I had to recalibrate my senses and brake later from there on. I want my GT3 (being the highest overall-performing street Porsche available now) to have the best spec and best possible performance possible, and thus PCCB was a given.
After all, my 458 came with ceramics as standard (all Ferraris since 2008 has ceramics standard). I think it is the best possible street brakes with money not being a factor. On the track, it should still outperform all steel brakes except that it will cost a lot more to replace after heavy track use.
Never underestimate the power of placebo. The performance advantages of PCCB are not seen on the street except when hitting potholes.
https://rennlist.com/forums/11501283-post103.html

Because....? btw, it's unsprung, not unstrung.

We've discussed this before. Porsche has claimed a 10 lb savings per corner with PCCBs in the past. The question is, when comparing the stock 380mm cast iron 991 GT3 rotor to the new 3rd generation 410mm ceramic ones, does the larger ceramic rotor eat into that weight difference, or is it still 10 lbs? Doing a little back of the napkin math, the assumption was that the difference might be down to around 8 lbs, which is still a lot.

I don't know which Excellence article Terence is referring to so maybe they've measured in real life. It's just that sometimes Porsche's marketing guys haven't caught up with the latest info, as we've seen from some of the mistakes on the website. It would be nice if we had actual weights of the two different rotors for a valid comparison.
Mike makes a good point. I remember a discussion in the 987 forum about Porsche's claimed weight savings with PCCB, but after taking into account the larger caliper size, rotors, and hardware that comes with a PCCB setup, the savings turned out to be almost nil.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike. My Tech said he had enquired for a customer (about confirm build options on a new GT3) via PAG back in February and there was no conclusive answer (frustrating at the time) but that one of discs in part inventory were weighed against a 380mm steel disc and the difference was less than 3kg (6.5lb). The PCCB disc is not only larger but also thicker. The tech thought the difference at the rear would be even less as the stock steel disc is thinner (apparently). So maybe 22lb all round. Its still unsprung weight however so still good to save!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:11 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

And if, after you decide on the PCCBs, the track bug bits and you buy a set of shiney 410mm PCCB sized steel rotors you'll end up with more weight than the 380mm steels.

The ceramics, no matter how you cut it, are fragile, they can have balance problems (Corvette ZR1), and they have to be weighed to assess current condition. One of the vendors even sells an aluminum guide so you don't ding a $5k rotor while reinstalling a wheel.

I'm a steel brakes kind of guy. Steel brakes are durable and hold up to repeated abuse on the street and on the track. While Porsche brake is high, steel rotors are fairly reasonable at about $500 per corner.

The topic has been pretty beaten to death, it just depends on your priorities. Personally I can't afford the $$ for rotors to get the clean wheels and slightly lower unspung weight.

Ryan
Old 08-03-2014, 02:12 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

btw, I don't have a problem with PCCB and people optioning with PCCB. If you like it, go for it. I just have a problem with a lot of the misinformation and misconceptions about the technology.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:16 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike. My Tech said he had enquired for a customer (about confirm build options on a new GT3) via PAG back in February and there was no conclusive answer (frustrating at the time) but that one of discs in part inventory were weighed against a 380mm steel disc and the difference was less than 3kg (6.5lb). The PCCB disc is not only larger but also thicker. The tech thought the difference at the rear would be even less as the stock steel disc is thinner (apparently). So maybe 22lb all round. Its still unsprung weight however so still good to save!
Maybe less than 22lb. Is it safe to assume that the larger PCCB calipers weigh more than the standard ones?

Quick Reply: PCCB or Steel on your 991 GT3?