Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Bucket Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:29 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty soon all us luddites may have to convert over to the good-ol 6 speed forums! haha how ironic that would be?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:25 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Fact. No 991 GT3 has ever been denied warranty for being on track; only 997 GT cars. It seems your concerns are being expressed in the wrong forum. Just sayin'......
An emoticon hiding your head in the sand might have been better for that last remark. It isn't a giant leap to assert Porsche will apply a similar stance if a 991 GT3 is used on the track.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
An emoticon hiding your head in the sand might have been better for that last remark. It isn't a giant leap to assert Porsche will apply a similar stance if a 991 GT3 is used on the track.
The comment was tongue in cheek; sorry it got by you. The point, however, was that there are repeated complaints in multiple threads on this forum about track warranty coverage for a car no one even owns yet, yet those same complaints appear far less often in threads on the 997 GT forum for a car that has actually had track warranty issues. It seems strangely inconsistent. Well, maybe not so strange......
Old 08-29-2013, 05:41 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

The comment was tongue in cheek; sorry it got by you. The point, however, was that there are repeated complaints in multiple threads on this forum about track warranty coverage for a car no one even owns yet, yet those same complaints appear far less often in threads on the 997 GT forum for a car that has actually had track warranty issues. It seems strangely inconsistent. Well, maybe not so strange......
Mike, pardon me for asking the question, but do you have any conflict of interest you might want to divulge as regards any relationship with PAG, PCNA etc? Now that's tongue in cheek!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Mike in CA works across the street from Sharky for Porsche forum monitoring station.
Or he's A

One of the two.

Gotto be.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
pretty soon all us luddites may have to convert over to the good-ol 6 speed forums! haha how ironic that would be?
Whatcha drinking there in Sydney?
BTW where Sydney I just booked my tickets.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 PM
frayed
Race Car

I think denial of warranty items for track usage is largely overblown. It is however, an issue that is highly dealer dependent and owner dependent from what I've read. I know of cars that have had track failures, requiring transmission replacement, which was covered under warranty. Others on the forums state denial of warranty work based on the fact that the car was used on track.

With the introduction of PDK, I have to think that denials of coverage based on transmission or engine failure will become rarer. As long as 991 GT3 centerlocks don't start orbiting earth from Turn 7, I think the new GT3 will be less prone to track related failures. But then again, there's a lot of new tech and a lot of detractors are freaking out about the tech packed into the new car.

Also, AP, whether you believe him or not, has stated that the new car has undergone 4x the development of prior GT3s. One should hope that that development effort will result in a car that is better engineered for dual usage.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frayed
I think denial of warranty items for track usage is largely overblown. It is however, an issue that is highly dealer dependent and owner dependent from what I've read. I know of cars that have had track failures, requiring transmission replacement, which was covered under warranty. Others on the forums state denial of warranty work based on the fact that the car was used on track...
I'm not in the auto business so I'm just speculating but it seems that the dealer would not have much to gain by denying warranty work. If it's approved, he does the work and gets paid by PCNA. If it's denied, there is a chance that the owner will go to an indy shop to save some dough. It's PCNA that would profit by denying warranty claims. Maybe some auto industry insider can shed some light on this?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:29 PM
frayed
Race Car

Yeah I'm with you. I'm not sure of the underlying mechanics of how warranty coverages are handled b/t pcna and the dealers. But I do know that some dealers are track friendly, others not. My local dealer is pretty solid though, and recently a track driven GT3 RS with major repairs that was used on track was indeed covered.

I understand that there's a bit of negotiation b/t pcna and the dealer. . . and the dealer basically has to vouch for the repairs and pcna has to approve. Same process for when a customer is looking for courtesy coverage: a known defect that happens outside of warranty.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:33 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57

I'm not in the auto business so I'm just speculating but it seems that the dealer would not have much to gain by denying warranty work. If it's approved, he does the work and gets paid by PCNA. If it's denied, there is a chance that the owner will go to an indy shop to save some dough. It's PCNA that would profit by denying warranty claims. Maybe some auto industry insider can shed some light on this?
That's true.

I've been told this by the SM at the dealer,they gladly do warranty work because it brings good money. That is why the relationship you are having with your dealer is so important! Because if you're a good customer,they'll do anything in their power to get PCNA to approve warranty work.

Although warranty coverage shouldn't only be about one's relationship with the dealer...
Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Mike, pardon me for asking the question, but do you have any conflict of interest you might want to divulge as regards any relationship with PAG, PCNA etc? Now that's tongue in cheek!
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Mike in CA works across the street from Sharky for Porsche forum monitoring station.
Or he's A

One of the two.

Gotto be.
LOL. No conflict of interest. My only affiliation with Porsche is as a long time owner and 30 year PCA member. My profession is in telecom engineering, not cars.

Back on topic, I don't have a problem with anyone complaining about a lack of warranty coverage by Porsche for track use, although I suspect it varies widely from dealer to dealer and I've never personally had an issue with mine.

It just seems odd that the warranty complaint keeps showing up in this forum, but much more rarely in the 997 GT forum. If I didn't know better, I might think that some people were looking for another excuse to come here and knock the new car. But that can't be.

Which reminds me, what's this I hear about no MT.......? Could we go over that one more time?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Whatcha drinking there in Sydney?
BTW where Sydney I just booked my tickets.
i'm drinking the good stuff; h2O
i'll buy you beers when you get here.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:36 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL. No conflict of interest. My only affiliation with Porsche is as a long time owner and 30 year PCA member. My profession is in telecom engineering, not cars.

Back on topic, I don't have a problem with anyone complaining about a lack of warranty coverage by Porsche for track use, although I suspect it varies widely from dealer to dealer and I've never personally had an issue with mine.

It just seems odd that the warranty complaint keeps showing up in this forum, but much more rarely in the 997 GT forum. If I didn't know better, I might think that some people were looking for another excuse to come here and knock the new car. But that can't be.

Which reminds me, what's this I hear about no MT.......? Could we go over that one more time?
What!?! There's no stick. Cancel my order...
Old 08-30-2013, 04:06 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev

What!?! There's no stick. Cancel my order...
That's not all, somebody said that somebody else told them that the rear wheels aren't properly fixed, and that they wobble by 1.5 degrees in each direction at speed!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 04:38 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
So here's an interesting twist. I was at the dealer today, and they've been trying to get me to take their November build allocation because everyone seems to be passing on it (a GT3 up here in Canada would be useless between December-February).

So I told the dealership that if they could get the proper sports bucket seats with the passthroughs in the car I would take the allocation. The dealership sounded like it might be possible - i'll know in a few days....
Well, my plan didn't work out. The dealership offered to install the old GT2 seats and code out the airbag warning, but I didn't want that solution.

Given the uncertainty around the seats, i've decided to give up my spot in the GT3 queue, and go with the RS - I was 4th in line at my dealership for a GT3 and 2nd for an RS. Apparently my dealership has an allocation of 1.5 GT3 per month (don't ask me how the half car works).

Quick Reply: Sport Bucket Seats?