19.83%
Primarily street and some track
55.37%
Heavy track and some street
23.14%
Track only. Street only to and from track
1.65%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

POLL-Where will you(would you) be using the new GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
911rox. You know this statement isn't true. 80% of all GT3s ever sold have been mainly street use I suspect. People like TRACKCAR who use their machines only for track work are very few and far between. Infact I hang out with a few of the local Porsche racing fraternity here and they all drive theri GT3s as road cars and their Cup cars on the track in the race series. They say you cant compare the two and I agree having driven both. Serious Track people with some money eventually go racing even in PCNZ race series (low cost and more fun). From 944s to Cup cars a proper 1000kg track prepared 911 even with only 30bhp is such a lot off fun and so different under the brakes and through the bends than a 1400kg road car with 450 bhp.

Were you at Rennsport Weekend in Sydney? I assume you were competing not at the cafe LOL! Let me know your rego and Ill find some pictures I may have taken of your car. I took alot of pictures of white GT3s that weekend!
My 4.0 and all GT3's before we're daily drivers. I have 2 cars BMW for wifey and GT3. Now I listed my 4.0 for sale because I work 24/7. I parked it at the dealer because for my own sanity I want it out of sight out of mind because of work in OZ and NZ. I will chase you both down.
So now I drive a daily driver I bought for transportation. The day I pick up the 4.0 the DD is gone...
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Petevb
Primarily street with some track/ competition was always the intended purpose of the GT3. If you want a track car there are many better options, from formula cars to cup cars, etc. The GT3 is a street car that is trackable. Judged purely as a track car it's soft, expensive and slow, and always has been. Judged as a street car that also works at the track it's best in class.
Thanks, Pete, for the succinct description of what the GT3 is intended to be. I wish you had chosen to post it some time ago. Would have saved this forum a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Last edited by tmg57; 07-12-2013 at 09:13 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 07-11-2013, 11:46 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

peter - let me know if you come to syd, i'll buy you dinner thy famous one.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

TRAKCAR. Why on earth would you be trying to sell your 4.0RS? If I owned one of these I would be holding it for a very long time. The new GT3/RS surely will never be a collectible or of such investment grade quality as the last manual Mezger engined 911 GT3 surely?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
peter - let me know if you come to syd, i'll buy you dinner thy famous one.
Ill go one better Peter. Ill let you take my 993 6 speed for a drive. Its famous too LOL!. Seriously though with plenty of warning Id love to have you on one of our back road Sunday sortes with the Targa guys. I dont live in NZ (for a long time now) but do get back to drive regularly so could plan ahead....
Old 07-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Fairly small sample but there you have it, the GT3 has become the pin up girl of the C&C crowd... Not knocking the car itself but its sad to see the intended use of a car of this caliber predominantly street only in 80% of sales... sooooo NOT what the concept of a GT car was 13 years ago when the journey began...
Broken record...
Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

911rox. You know this statement isn't true. 80% of all GT3s ever sold have been mainly street use I suspect. People like TRACKCAR who use their machines only for track work are very few and far between. Infact I hang out with a few of the local Porsche racing fraternity here and they all drive theri GT3s as road cars and their Cup cars on the track in the race series. They say you cant compare the two and I agree having driven both. Serious Track people with some money eventually go racing even in PCNZ race series (low cost and more fun). From 944s to Cup cars a proper 1000kg track prepared 911 even with only 30bhp is such a lot off fun and so different under the brakes and through the bends than a 1400kg road car with 450 bhp.

Were you at Rennsport Weekend in Sydney? I assume you were competing not at the cafe LOL! Let me know your rego and Ill find some pictures I may have taken of your car. I took alot of pictures of white GT3s that weekend!

Ok.
I'll be nicer to the Kiwi
Planning to tour OZ and NZ in the coming years. It would be so much fun to rent race cars for customer relation and entertainment

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 07-12-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:37 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Broken record...
And yet some continue to play it...
Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

were you there, macca?
post some pics please!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:56 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Petevb
Primarily street with some track/ competition was always the intended purpose of the GT3. If you want a track car there are many better options, from formula cars to cup cars, etc. The GT3 is a street car that is trackable. Judged purely as a track car it's soft, expensive and slow, and always has been. Judged as a street car that also works at the track it's best in class.
So true.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

were you there, macca?
post some pics please!
Hi Jimmy. I heard my old mate Klaus Bischoff from PAG would be there with some interesting factory stuff so I headed over to check it out and catch up with a few Aussie Porsche mates. Last time I saw Klaus and other PAG staff was when they brought the museum 962 over to NZ last year. The factory now have the brochure I created for my 993 in their collection (see other thread on 991 GT3 board with articles, pictures and downloadable .pdf of said document) I posted around 50 pictures in the Rennlist NZ section (look around May dates). Here are a few extras....
Attached Images           
Old 07-12-2013, 04:34 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Looks like I'm in the majority and belong to Porsche's target market.

I was a heavy track rat at one point, but not anymore. Family, business, other hobbies chew up so much time. I'm no longer interested in trailering a car nor modifying a car to a point where it sucks on street like I have in times past.

4-6 track weekends a year most likely unless I join the local country club track and head over there during weekdays when I can break away from the office.
This is me as well. Selling my 04 996 GT3 Cup car now and just want a fun street car that can go to the track whenever I get the time to go and still be fun. So honestly I'll be one of "those" guys lol.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:34 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Hi Jimmy. I heard my old mate Klaus Bischoff from PAG would be there with some interesting factory stuff so I headed over to check it out and catch up with a few Aussie Porsche mates. Last time I saw Klaus and other PAG staff was when they brought the museum 962 over to NZ last year. The factory now have the brochure I created for my 993 in their collection (see other thread on 991 GT3 board with articles, pictures and downloadable .pdf of said document) I posted around 50 pictures in the Rennlist NZ section (look around May dates). Here are a few extras....
nice one, macca!
love how klaus wears 2 watches...
Old 07-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

nice one, macca!
love how klaus wears 2 watches...
Good observation. Only a watch guy could pick that up! The "panda" dialed chrono on his right wrist plays the part...
Old 07-13-2013, 11:39 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

you were probably standing close-by.
i only went on sunday though.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: POLL-Where will you(would you) be using the new GT3?