Sponsored by:

991 GT3 video review by AutoCar

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Will someone please remind him what an imposter this car is, and to stop having such a good time, because we know that to do that you need a clutch pedal and a Mezger.
Originally Posted by frayed
No. You are wrong. This sub-forum is not a Porsche forum. It's long been the 991 GT3 haters club.
Funny, what I see most is PDK fans going straight to manual hater-mode every time a new thread gets posted. Meanwhile manual fans are just asking for a choice.

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
Dumb comment.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Funny, what I see most is PDK fans going straight to manual hater-mode every time a new thread gets posted. Meanwhile manual fans are just asking for a choice.
Not really. I agree with that the manual fans are upset b/c there's no choice. No argument there.

However, there are scores of posts on this forum that are nothing more than internet temper tantrums by manual fans, to the point of name calling and personal attacks. I can quickly scour through and link to them, but I think that's unnecessary.

I don't think there are many PDK fans actually. A few have stated on the record they prefer the PDK, but from what I've read, many, like me, are accepting the new technology and giving it a chance. Given the choice I'd take a manual, thanks. But then again, I'm not a first time GT3 buyer.

But not given the choice. . . won't stop me from owning this brilliant car.

But my comment was beyond the transmission debate. It also extends to all the other controversial stuff the new car has. Again, no reason to list them all.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

However, there are scores of posts on this forum that are nothing more than internet temper tantrums by manual fans, to the point of name calling and personal attacks. I can quickly scour through and link to them, but I think that's unnecessary.
Then I suggest you address those comments directly rather than make blanket statements.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 PM
frayed
Race Car

Then I suggest you address those comments directly rather than make blanket statements.
Why?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche Jihadis, true beliebers.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My opinion = 991GT3 will be another excellent GT3 (4 times the development time)...
Yes they need to offer a manual & race that motor....however 1st reviews are very positive & it's all we can go by until each of us have a go.

Being completely unbiased that review made me excited!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I much rather hear his thoughts on the car than yours. Primarily because he's driven it.
My thoughts were not about the car...
Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 PM
ktu
AutoX

I'm thinking the reason why Porsche isn't racing the new engine because it needs developement time, just as anything else. The mezger engine is Not infinite, its behind the times now, I don't know why mezger fans think this engine is supposed to be used 50 years from now, jeez
Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't deal in reading BS from idiots who haven't driven the car.
Then why did you enter the 991 GT3 forum at all?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The vast majority of "PDK fans" have driven manuals extensively and have an appreciation for them. Manual hater-mode? It doesn't exist.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Manual hater-mode? It doesn't exist.
Clearly: "Will someone please remind him what an imposter this car is, and to stop having such a good time, because we know that to do that you need a clutch pedal and a Mezger."
Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Why?
My bad. Continue with the blanket hater statements: "It's long been the 991 GT3 haters club"
Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ktu
I'm thinking the reason why Porsche isn't racing the new engine because it needs developement time, just as anything else. The mezger engine is Not infinite, its behind the times now, I don't know why mezger fans think this engine is supposed to be used 50 years from now, jeez
It's coming. It's just a development and homologation issue. That's why the Le Mans winning 991s this year were not called 911 GT3 RSRs, but just 911 RSRs because technically the bodies and chassis were based off of the Carrera 4.

The 9A1-based race motor will be more fuel efficient because it will be DFI, like the more economical 458s already are. This advantage has been somewhat offset though because the ACO has tweaked the balance of performance regs that have negated the ability for the 458s to do only 4 stops in the 6-hour WEC races.

The 911s are allowed to run slightly larger air inlet restrictors and about 70 lbs. under the category minimum weight.

It's just a matter of time until the storied Mezger is put into retirement though. Porsche already considers the engine too dirty emissions-wise to use in the street cars, which really isn't a concern in race cars, of course, hence the lifecycle stretching while they're readying the new motor.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:10 PM
frayed
Race Car

My bad. Continue with the blanket hater statements: "It's long been the 991 GT3 haters club"
Funny that you did exactly the same thing. "Funny, what I see most is PDK fans going straight to manual hater-mode every time a new thread gets posted. "

Neither one of us is going to do the proper statistical analysis to back up either statement.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Clearly: "Will someone please remind him what an imposter this car is, and to stop having such a good time, because we know that to do that you need a clutch pedal and a Mezger."
First, that comment was obviously tongue in cheek which the poster has confirmed. Second, he wasn't displaying hatred for the manual, although he was poking fun at those who continually suggest that the only path to true involvement and hence fulfillment is a "clutch pedal and a Mezger".

Humor, not hate.....

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 video review by AutoCar