Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just received the 918 Spyder brochure package

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'm afraid it will remain misunderstood. No posters on the walls of 918's...
Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Michael246
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I've remained silent on the 918 for reasons both personal (I wasn't sure whether I even liked the concept) and professional (had to turn down three chances to get close to the car due to the timing of a job change).

Now having driven a prototype, I think it may be the most misunderstood production Porsche yet. It's going to be very interesting to see how it does once it hits the market.

pete
It is much better than everyone says it is!! It is truly a car you cannot judge by the numbers. For example: a 458 loses to the 12c in every possible way on paper, but in real life, it is known to be a much better car.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'm afraid it will remain misunderstood. No posters on the walls of 918's...
I dunno. While it may not be my thing (CTR, CGT, Spyder, RS 4.0), it is something new—and quite interesting in its own right.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:30 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Double post - see below.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I dunno. While it may not be my thing (CTR, CGT, Spyder, RS 4.0), it is something new—and quite interesting in its own right.
Don't you think Porsche priced it too high? The $845K list price, plus any options and taxes, will push it close to $1 Million. I can get my head around the cost being $500K.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Very interesting absolutely!! Just not the stuff of dreams a la F40, CGT MclarenF1 me thinks. Maybe I'm just getting old?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Interesting, but $1mil interesting?... Not when compared to what else is out there both new and old. I have a tough time spending $100k on a car so I'm a poor schmuck clearly, but I have to imagine that even if you're spending $1mil, that you still have a sense of conparative value for money. I think Porsche didn't get this one right, but again, I'm just the guy they mistakenly mailed the glossy brochure to LOL
Old 06-05-2013, 01:52 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Don't you think Porsche priced it too high? The $845K list price, plus any options and taxes, will push it close to $1 Million. I can get my head around the cost being $500K.
That's for the market to decide, not me.

I will say this, though: Back in 2003, I thought the Carrera GT was sky-high pricing for how many they planned to make. At the intro, as I looked at the build quality, the pedal cluster, the carbon work, the engineering in general, and more, an odd thought occurred: It may be a bargain at $440,000. Ten years later, I had the very same thought about the 918 at $845,000 (!) after looking it over, driving it, and sitting back and considering the R&D process. It's going to be interesting to see if Porsche can convince 918 buyers. I suspect the car will be in production for a while—but I could easily be wrong. I know a number of serious buyers who say they aren't interested, and I can respect their reasons...because I shared them as I approached the car.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Interesting, but $1mil interesting?... Not when compared to what else is out there both new and old. I have a tough time spending $100k on a car so I'm a poor schmuck clearly, but I have to imagine that even if you're spending $1mil, that you still have a sense of conparative value for money. I think Porsche didn't get this one right, but again, I'm just the guy they mistakenly mailed the glossy brochure to LOL
With $845,000 to $1,000,000 to spend, yes, I would buy 3 of the 4 Porsches/Rufs I mentioned above, plus maybe a nice Guilia GT or Super Ti for fun, instead. For instance. But I am not a buyer for this car, and don't think like one. Most buyers for this car probably aren't looking for 3-5 (more) cars and their associated problems, responsibilities, and storage needs. They are looking for one to fill one spot. And they are looking for something fascinating from a technical and design standpoint. If it drives well, all the better.

As to value for money, well, that's a matter of perspective, isn't it? I agree with your premise, however, and we sure are a ways from the RSA, 993, and original 986 plan these days, aren't we? That's the subject of my next column, as a matter of fact...
Old 06-05-2013, 01:53 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Very interesting absolutely!! Just not the stuff of dreams a la F40, CGT MclarenF1 me thinks. Maybe I'm just getting old?
Yeah, me too until a couple of weeks ago. You just need to "reorient" yourself with 887 hp.

Still not saying it's your kind of car, but I am saying there are fountains of youth out there. You own one of my favorites.

pete
Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now $500-600k with no batteries, no electric motors would make it that much more interesting...
Old 06-05-2013, 03:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by mgent
Now $500-600k with no batteries, no electric motors would make it that much more interesting...
This.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Yes, I do. A couple of weeks ago we heard the rumor they had only 400 firm orders for the planned 918 examples they are hoping to sell. The fact that Porsche and PCNA have started sending out 918 brochures to the general Porsche population tells us that they are concerned and stepping up efforts to attract the buyers they currently lack.

The exercise is mostly political - to please the Green Party and their fellow travelers in Germany & the EU. A current 'Carrera GT' owner I know, who has been romanced by Porsche for over three years with special showings, dinners, trips to Leipzig & Zuffenhausen and dog & pony shows at various US venues, loves all the attention he & his wife are getting from Porsche! He is now committed to buy it - with a $400,00+ non-refundable deposit. And if it doesn't rival the enjoyment he gets from his current 'Carrera GT', he will find a buyer in China. That is the mind set of some on the 'order list'. And I am sure he is not the only one. Why he is so optimistic about the market for this car at nearly $1,000,000 is a bit puzzling to me. He bought his 'Carrera GT' new when the last remaining ones languished at dealers - unwanted & unsold! He actually was the only bidder (Buy It Now) at its eBay auction from a dealer back East and he got a huge discount from MSRP. But he seems to have forgotten all of that. It is all 'blue sky' ahead. We will see. I recommend all to briefly remember the Jaguar XJ220 and how that ended up!

As Chris Harris recently said, I would like to imagine what this 918 would have been without the weight, complexity and potential reliability issues with the 'Hybrid' elements - electric motors, battery! Regardless of recent doubts expressed here that the 961 is shelved, I am pretty sure we will see that FeFi sooner than later! I, for one, am looking forward to this model at just under $300K...with the combustion engine similar to the 918 (reportedly 'four adjustable camshafts & a complex multistage intake manifold') and with many other of the innovative weight saving construction & materials developed for the 918! While the 918 will lose money for Porsche, the 961 will be profitable because it will benefit from the sunken cost in developing the 918 technology that will be employed in the lesser model! The 961 will sell in greater numbers and be profitable - both to the bottom line of the VW Group and to Porsche's reputation on the track. It is no coincidence it is referred to as the FeFi. This is a model I could relate to, aspire to, save my pennies to perhaps purchase in the future! The 918 is beyond the reach of 99% of the Porsche consumer. The 961 is where Porsche needs to go...and I am pretty certain it will get there soon! The 918 will be a small footnote in Porsche's automotive history.

Saludos.
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO
Old 06-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry, recent statements from top Porsche executives have taken the air out of the 961 balloon. They all state there is no need for one given the 991tt and TTS presently compete with the 458 and MP12. Also, VW has the Lambo and R8 in the mid-engine market. No need for the car in the VW model ranges.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Sorry, recent statements from top Porsche executives have taken the air out of the 961 balloon. They all state there is no need for one given the 991tt and TTS presently compete with the 458 and MP12. Also, VW has the Lambo and R8 in the mid-engine market. No need for the car in the VW model ranges.
The turbo competes with the what now?

I think I see their line of reasoning. VW wants its Audi badge-engineered flagship sports car equivalent of the Starbucks espresso served by a barrister with all the artisan skill of a factory worker pressing the button labeled "Espresso" and then the "hand crafted" labor of love, of placing the land-fill carnauba waxed paper cup directly under the spout, to be correctly positioned "adjacent" to the 991 turbo S, but above, though not too far above the 991 turbo while both marques race to team orders and defer the win to the prize bull lambo.

But it all makes sense in the boardroom. These guys go to work in helicopters and sit in the back of town cars. They don't drive a 911. They don't drive -- that's for ordinary people. The unwashed.

For a minute there, I was a dazed and confused by the the mirage of the 960. I was drawn to the prospect of Porsche offering a car that might encourage me to buy another Porsche now that the 991 is a long wheelbase electric steering GT. I was half hoping the 960 might be an oasis in the desert landscape ahead until Porsche eventually revisits the 928 debacle yet again and realizes the Porsche customer wants to buy a 911 to enjoy driving it, not to live out a cliche of sports car pretentiousness.

In deference to Rennlist and its civilized tone, I'll refrain from a page of expletives and ranting and raving.

At no point in history has Porsche ever succeeded by saying "let the other guys take this one." But that's what VW is saying. "Let Audi take the sophisticated urbanite for a ride in their 'hewn as if from a single billet' computer-generated, sound-engineered, luxury status symbol. "Let Lamborghini handle those savvy mid-engine drivers." Garbage. Insanity (and not the good kind.)

Isn't this exactly the kind of anti-trust crap that goes on when mergers lead to monopoly giants that turn on their customers?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Post made my evening.

Quick Reply: Just received the 918 Spyder brochure package