Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
It is my view, shared by many, that the reason Porsche put the centerlocks on the .2 GT3's and other cars was purely cosmetic, for marketing reasons. There can be no other possible explanation, considering what an utter piece of **** clusterphuque the centerlocks are. Pure 100% affectation. It was purely driven why who Porsche believed its customers were.
Fine. I have no argument with the real issues around using centerlocks, and what Porsche decides to do for marketing purposes or thinks about their customer's desires is their own business. But I assume not all the people who bought the 997.2 GT cars with CL's did so to impress the Cars & Coffee crowd, and the same will be true of the 991 GT3. It's just something that was part of the package; it wasn't necessarily a selling point, whether Porsche thought it would be or not.

Anyway, all this assumes that the CL's haven't been improved for the new car or that a 5 bolt option won't be available, otherwise all this CL concern is premature, just as the "no dry sump motorsport engine" concern was apparently premature and ultimately irrelevant. And if the CL issue is resolved, the naysayers will focus on something else (red reflectors next to the exhaust pipes, or a stick in the center console?). The big picture is being missed. It's silly.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:09 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Fine. I have no argument with the real issues around using centerlocks, and what Porsche decides to do for marketing purposes or thinks about their customer's desires is their own business. But I assume not all the people who bought the 997.2 GT cars with CL's did so to impress the Cars & Coffee crowd, and the same will be true of the 991 GT3. It's just something that was part of the package; it wasn't necessarily a selling point, whether Porsche thought it would be or not.

Anyway, all this assumes that the CL's haven't been improved for the new car or that a 5 bolt option won't be available, otherwise all this CL concern is premature, just as the "no dry sump motorsport engine" concern was apparently premature and ultimately irrelevant. And if the CL issue is resolved, the naysayers will focus on something else (red reflectors next to the exhaust pipes, or a stick in the center console?). The big picture is being missed. It's silly.
I agree with most you are saying, but the CL issue, is not a minor issue IMO, even if they redesigned it, they will for sure stick with the maintenance schedule, which is not cheap
The only real solution is if they offer 5 lug as an option, when I am going to place my order, it will include a conversion to 5 lug as part of the deal

Just my 0.02
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911
That's just it, we don't have any choices. You won't be able get 18" wheels for what now USED to be the best factory track car on the planet. You can't get a manual.
A number of aftermarket manufacturers offer 18" CL's don't they, although did you see the front brakes on the 991 GT3? 18" wheels might be problematic. Besides, do we know yet that 5 bolt wheels won't be an option?

I grant you, MT looks dead for now. But I thought one of the potential complaints about the 991 GT3's engine was that it wouldn't be related to motorsport. Who do you know in professional GT racing using MT's?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
That's just it, we don't have any choices. You won't be able get 18" wheels for what now USED to be the best factory track car on the planet. You can't get a manual.
Assuming the 991 GT3 uses the same size discs as the 991 Cup (380mm front/rear), 18" wheels should still be do-able. 991 Cup runs 18" BBS CL's.....
Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Fact, whilst motorsport derived the new drive train is unproven and until it has run a few 24 hour events and finished the race, I'll let others sort out its issues...

Three years ago the centrelocks were a motorsport derived feature that were supposed to be revolutionary in some respect... 3 years on, we are told our wheels will fall off unless we spend thousands refreshing them every 4200 miles...

I don't feel like replacing/rebuilding an engine or trans every 4200 miles because some Porsche engineer overlooked some minor details! Such is my confidence in Porsche after the way they've handled the introduction of CLs and the subsequent problems...

Centrelocks and no manual, NO thanks!!! Even if t revs to 10000rpm...

Ps. Thanks to those involved in passing this info on! really appreciate it!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

But I assume not all the people who bought the 997.2 GT cars with CL's did so to impress the Cars & Coffee crowd, and the same will be true of the 991 GT3. It's just something that was part of the package; it wasn't necessarily a selling point, whether Porsche thought it would be or not.

Not all, no. But most IMO. The folks here are the exception, generally.

As for a 5 lug option? No way. There is no money in it for Porsche to have to fully engineer & then do DOT and TUV testing for 2 different hubs.

A number of aftermarket manufacturers offer 18" CL's don't they, although did you see the front brakes on the 991 GT3? 18" wheels might be problematic. Besides, do we know yet that 5 bolt wheels won't be an option?
18's won't fit with those brakes IMO, and will also be too small to avoid putting the 300 separate PSM/PASM/SPASM computers into apoplectic fits.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Three years ago the centrelocks were a motorsport derived feature that were supposed to be revolutionary in some respect... 3 years on, we are told our wheels will fall off unless we spend thousands refreshing them every 4200 miles...

I don't feel like replacing/rebuilding an engine or trans every 4200 miles because some Porsche engineer overlooked some minor details! Such is my confidence in Porsche after the way they've handled the introduction of CLs and the subsequent problems...
Exactly. CL's= Pure affectation, designed by Rube Goldberg's drug addicted 2nd cousin.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
And it sounds like this..
I can't unzip this file. Anyone else having a problem or just me.....
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
A new motorsport engine (not a Mezger, not a 9A1 either) is the clear explanation on why there is no manual transmission. A new engine would require development of new transmissions, they chose wisely, as this engine will be use in motorsports and the transmissions in motorsports are not manually moved stir cooking paddles.
Agree with you on this one; perhaps they will have time to develop or adapt a 6/7MT before we see the RS...?

Originally Posted by major dad
Nice car, built for yanks though while we poor europeans mourn our Mezger Engines and Manual boxes. Still, we mourned the move from aircooled as well. Life goes on !
Very impressed with the specs of the new engine.
What specs? Just a redline and displacement? No hp or tq peaks or curves, plus absolutely unproven in racing up to this point.

well, andreas, I think the 9a1 is a good engine and has showed potential at Daytona, but that doesn't mean that Porsche can't do even better, and perhaps has. If this info is correct, I'd say the glass is completely full, at least AFAIC.
I hope they have!

It is my view, shared by many, that the reason Porsche put the centerlocks on the .2 GT3's and other cars was purely cosmetic, for marketing reasons. There can be no other possible explanation, considering what an utter piece of **** clusterphuque the centerlocks are. Pure 100% affectation. It was purely driven why who Porsche believed its customers were.
To be fair, Preuninger alleged that this was done for weight savings when the car was unveiled ~4 years ago. If that were their primary goal, why not just fit lighter 5 lug wheels? Both 997.1 and 997.2 GT3 (RS) wheels are somewhat heavier than popular - and very strong - aftermarket options.

Sorry, the red reflectors are ugly. Hate 'em on Ferraris, Corvettes, Lambos, the 991, any car really.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Me too but I'm trying on my phone lol
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Not all, no. But most IMO. The folks here are the exception, generally.
As someone on the waiting list, I appreciate that, at least.

As for a 5 lug option? No way. There is no money in it for Porsche to have to fully engineer & then do DOT and TUV testing for 2 different hubs..
Porsche made both available on the GTS......

18's won't fit with those brakes IMO, and will also be too small to avoid putting the 300 separate PSM/PASM/SPASM computers into apoplectic fits.
Well, it wouldn't bother PASM or SPASM; they're just computer controlled shocks, one has stiffer/shorter springs. PSM doesn't care that the 18's I use are considerably shorter than my 19" street tires. I'd bet that 19's with the proper profile tires would work in place of 20's without screwing things up. Or you could pull the PSM fuse....
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I can't unzip this file. Anyone else having a problem or just me.....
Originally Posted by zirrah
Me too but I'm trying on my phone lol
Please try it again in 2 min.
I will change the file.
If you are using WinZip, it should open up an MPEG-4 audio file.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sound file doesn't reveal much. Seems like it was taken at corner entry. You hear some slight revving, gearshifts and tire squealing.

But all the other info and pics are much appreciated. Seems the naysayers are slowly being backed into a corner, just as they were when the Flat-6 was introduced in '64, the wheelbase extended in '69, power-steering and ABS in '89, water-cooled in '99, etc.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
The sound file doesn't reveal much. Seems like it was taken at corner entry. You hear some slight revving, gearshifts and tire squealing.
Sorry, but I do not have the permission to post a video clip. (yet)

Besides, even a short sound clip is better than nothing..
This engine revs like a maniac!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing for sure until seeing a caliper print, but I would be surprised if we couldn't clear them with an 18, with room to spare. On the computers, usually as long as the ratio, front to rear remains the same, you're ok (who knows with this one though).

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!