Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backyard Buddy 4 post lift recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 10:11 PM
cadster
Instructor

Received 268 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Backyard Buddy 4 post lift recommendations?

Cross-posted on other auto forums, some which have significant crossover viewership...sorry for any inconvenience.

With Coronavirus canceling schools, my wife and I decided to start our summer early and basically move into our lake house. During previous summers, we only weekended at our lake house, but with no school, no kids sports, and life, more or less, on hold, we are moving to the lake for the summer. Here’s my dilemma, I don’t want to be away from my cars, and so I intend to bring them with me. At the lake, I have two separate two-car garages. Only two spaces are available to me (long story). So my plan is to double my parking capacity with two 4 post lifts. I am zeroing in on this lift by Backyard Buddy / Steel Valley Lifts:

https://steelvalleylifts.com/product...orkforce-lift/

It’s not the actual “Backyard Buddy” lift, but a version that is wider, taller, and longer. I am targeting this lift for no other reason than I do not wish to have a Chinese sourced lift. It’s too soon. Much too soon to even consider going that direction. So I will spend more money (looks like much more) to source American steel.

Anyone have any experiences with this lift manufacturer that they care to discuss? My garage is 25x22 with 11.5’ ceilings. I am going to retrofit with side mounted garage door openers along with raising the rails to snug closely to the ceiling.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:08 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 167 Posts

I ordered direct from Backyard Buddy a few years back.
I went w/ the standard version, extended height.

I could fit the wife's Macan GTS in below with just a few inches to spare.
Price was quite a bit higher than all others in my search.....but an easy decision since everything was US made & US steel.

Bottom line, no complaints.

The following users liked this post:
cadster (04-12-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:31 AM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 134 Posts

Highly recommend. Love mine.

Last edited by Tpup; 04-13-2020 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Pic
cadster (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:07 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 181 Posts

I’ve heard good things about BB. Also consider Challenger, which is also American made of American materials and has a fantastic reputation. I have the 9000lb 4-post CL4P9S and it’s been great.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:38 AM
cadster
Instructor

Originally Posted by paradocs98
I’ve heard good things about BB. Also consider Challenger, which is also American made of American materials and has a fantastic reputation. I have the 9000lb 4-post CL4P9S and it’s been great.

Thanks for the recommendation. So I reached out directly to them, and they indicated that their lifts are imported. They own the factories overseas (didn’t say where) and they only produce their product, and don’t white label for anyone else. Looks like a great product, at a fantastic price point, but in light of all the death and destruction due to the China Flu, I feel compelled to buy American steel. I would have felt much different a couple months ago.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:51 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 71 Posts

Backyard Buddy are great lifts. Yes you pay more but they are Made in the USA, don’t need to be drilled into floor (free standing) and have caps around the lift mechanism to avoid getting something caught in there.

Highly recommend them over other brands.
Chet

Old 04-18-2020, 01:06 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

I have Rotary, Challenger, and DL.

My buddy recently got a Nussbaum after watching the Audi dealer pull their rotary and challengers out.

It is a real American made lift, made in NC with German made hydraulics. It is the best lift I have seen period. Completely over engineered and stout. Check them out.

I am think to pull mine out and install 3 of their lifts.
cadster (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 02:12 PM
cadster
Instructor

Originally Posted by fastmd
I have Rotary, Challenger, and DL.

My buddy recently got a Nussbaum after watching the Audi dealer pull their rotary and challengers out.

It is a real American made lift, made in NC with German made hydraulics. It is the best lift I have seen period. Completely over engineered and stout. Check them out.

I am think to pull mine out and install 3 of their lifts.
So as luck would have, they are located in a suburb of Charlotte, where I make my home. I scanned the website. The lowest capacity 4-post they have is 15,000lbs. Might be more capacity than I need, but maybe with the shipping cost removed, the price could be made to work. Looks like the Porsche of lifts. Wow. I guess if you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly bear. Thanks for the recommendation.

https://us.nussbaumlifts.com/combi-lift-6/
Old 04-18-2020, 04:34 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by cadster
So as luck would have, they are located in a suburb of Charlotte, where I make my home. I scanned the website. The lowest capacity 4-post they have is 15,000lbs. Might be more capacity than I need, but maybe with the shipping cost removed, the price could be made to work. Looks like the Porsche of lifts. Wow. I guess if you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly bear. Thanks for the recommendation.

https://us.nussbaumlifts.com/combi-lift-6/
I am telling you they are incredible. Check one out, then look at the others no comparison. Buy it once, don’t have to worry.
cadster (04-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Backyard Buddy 4 post lift recommendations?