Sponsored by:

Threw engine code connecting battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:25 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Threw engine code connecting battery tender

I’m changing jobs which will prevent me from riding and driving for just over four weeks at a time and so added a Ctek battery tender, as recommended by Matt at Obsessed Garage. So I decided I’d replicate what Matt did and add a pig tail so connection would be real simple. Connection to the positive terminal was a breeze but the design of the negative meant I ended up disconnecting it from the terminal post. Once finished I checked car and although it turned on I got the following code P068A - ECU power relay disconnected. As can be seen the Porsche warning sign says car is drivable but the OBD website made it sound a bit more serious? I’ll call the dealer tomorrow but just consulting the brain trust of the forum on this code - any thoughts or advice? Many thanks,

Old 06-24-2019, 01:46 AM
ilovecarbs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Same happened to me for the exact same situation. Just drive it, the code will clear on it’s own.
The following users liked this post:
Ducati1199 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:59 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

Why not just get a cigarette lighter adapter and plug it in there. makes it really quick and simple to set up each time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris3963:
gt3.997 (08-12-2019), Perimeter (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:01 AM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

I am using cig lighter. Contrary to popular belief on the 991 it does not shut off the plug after 15 mins while a tender is connected, it recognizes it ?
gt3.997 (08-12-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Why not just get a cigarette lighter adapter and plug it in there. makes it really quick and simple to set up each time.
I just thought running a pig tail under the frunk would be a simple and tidy job. Tidy it turned out to be but the negative terminal on a .2 RS is a royal PITA!!!
Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,847 Likes on 2,394 Posts

996, 997, 991 is easiest charged through cig lighter in the center console NOT the one in footwell.
It works. multiple versions of above cars in my possession care charged this way. when ever possible I prefer cig lighter. it's easier than pig tail. on my air-cooled, I have no choice then I run pig tail
Ducati1199 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 01:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,134 Likes on 2,892 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
I just thought running a pig tail under the frunk would be a simple and tidy job. Tidy it turned out to be but the negative terminal on a .2 RS is a royal PITA!!!
Couldn't you use any chassis ground point instead of the negative battery terminal?
Old 06-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,050 Likes on 591 Posts

HI Ducati,

Is there any chance you can post a image of the .2RS Neg Terminal that is different? I have an .1 RS and don't understand what is new on the .2RS Neg Terminal that might make it difficult to connect a Battery Tender Harness.

If this has to do with the fact that the nuts are not removeable on the Porsche's Clamps. I actually cut our the center of the Ring Terminal loop so it becomes more of a Fork Terminal rather than a Ring Terminal... then you can easily put the clamp on or off. But I don't think I'm understanding what you saying being I have not seen the .2 clamps. Being a battery guy would like to see any change.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:49 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
Couldn't you use any chassis ground point instead of the negative battery terminal?
Yes that was / is an option but you don't have a long length of wire to get to anywhere really accessible. The chassis connection that actually comes off the negative terminal is to far away for the wire to reach and I didn't want to start splicing wires - this was supposed to be an easy job lol!!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:14 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Antigravity
HI Ducati,

Is there any chance you can post a image of the .2RS Neg Terminal that is different? I have an .1 RS and don't understand what is new on the .2RS Neg Terminal that might make it difficult to connect a Battery Tender Harness.

If this has to do with the fact that the nuts are not removeable on the Porsche's Clamps. I actually cut our the center of the Ring Terminal loop so it becomes more of a Fork Terminal rather than a Ring Terminal... then you can easily put the clamp on or off. But I don't think I'm understanding what you saying being I have not seen the .2 clamps. Being a battery guy would like to see any change.
The only picture I have right now is the 991.1 GT3 not an RS so don't know if they differ? But the difference with the .2 RS is that it's not a simple round the terminal clamp - it has a off-set in it and as you mention the nut and the bolt are clamped into place. So with this off set un-doing the nut to give you space to slide the fork connector on causes the clamp to bend which makes it difficult to slide form under. Also with the Ctek connector I used it's too long to slide straight in so you have to bend it into a 45 degree angle in order to locate it. It probably is the same as the .1 RS but when they give you such a simple (and thoughtful) spare positive terminal to connect to it just seemed funny that the negative was relatively so much more difficult?

991.1 GT3 negative terminal
Old 06-25-2019, 06:19 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,050 Likes on 591 Posts

The only picture I have right now is the 991.1 GT3 not an RS so don't know if they differ? But the difference with the .2 RS is that it's not a simple round the terminal clamp - it has a off-set in it and as you mention the nut and the bolt are clamped into place. So with this off set un-doing the nut to give you space to slide the fork connector on causes the clamp to bend which makes it difficult to slide form under. Also with the Ctek connector I used it's too long to slide straight in so you have to bend it into a 45 degree angle in order to locate it. It probably is the same as the .1 RS but when they give you such a simple (and thoughtful) spare positive terminal to connect to it just seemed funny that the negative was relatively so much more difficult?

991.1 GT3 negative terminal

Thanks.... yes it's the exact same on mine.... and I see you wanted your SAE Charging cable to come from underneath which is a much cleaner install. It looks like the person actually already cut the ring terminal on that one to get it on....

Thanks for showing that, now I understand, I just came over the top with the Ring Terminal (cut to fork terminal) and bent it down a little so it didn't stick up....which is quite a bit uglier.

Also if you didn't know they make longer SAE wire harnesses if you want to route it to the edge of the hood like I did in the images below. I think they have some on Amazon.

I wired the RS with a longer Jump-Start Harness we make like this.... same idea as you have for the SAE, but using a some 10awg silicone wire so I could connect a mini Jump-Starter to the battery to energize the system (to open frunk if battery was dead) , or jump start if I needed to. (This was before we had the Wire-less Jump-Starting built into the Battery)

Old 06-25-2019, 07:28 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
996, 997, 991 is easiest charged through cig lighter in the center console NOT the one in footwell.
It works. multiple versions of above cars in my possession care charged this way. when ever possible I prefer cig lighter. it's easier than pig tail. on my air-cooled, I have no choice then I run pig tail
I've been using the footwell one since I got my Ctek charger (on AGM mode). No issues and it stays on for the entire time (up to 2 weeks so far). If power stops flowing the light configuration is different so I know it is on.

Anyway, I don't have the smoker's package so I don't have any other cig outlet.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:34 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

Did you ever get this resolved? If so, what was the outcome? I disconnected my battery today to install the Trackspec Auto brackets and then I reconnected the battery I got the same code.

Did it eventually clear on an on its own, or did you have to take it in to the dealer?
Old 08-11-2019, 09:51 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Any decent OBD2 scanner will clear the code. If you don’t have one yet, it’s worthwhile to get one.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:20 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Any decent OBD2 scanner will clear the code. If you don’t have one yet, it’s worthwhile to get one.
I have one and can clear the code. I just don’t want to if there is something wrong that needs to be fixed by the dealer.

Quick Reply: Threw engine code connecting battery tender