Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower back pain from sofas

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:30 AM
AndreasPeriera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding a cushion or memory foam for lower back support would be my next step along with changing the angles of the seat from upright to a more reclined angle (according to some research, 135 degrees body thigh angle is a more natural position and would put less pressure on the discs)
Really appreciate your inputs.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:41 AM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

I had the four ways in my GTS and it wrecked my back as well, I have the buckets in my GT three put the memory foam in and now it's as comfortable as can be. I think the buckets need memory foam for lumbar support, anybody who rides in the passenger side with me now without the memory foam insert complains about lumbar support.
That's a controlled experiment BTW. Not really but close.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 PM
merc5326
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

GT3's don't come with sofas! With late model 911's there are 4 different seats:

Standard Seats (THIS WOULD BE A SOFA)
Sport Seats
Sport Seats Plus (standard in GT cars)
LWB
Old 06-11-2019, 12:54 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by merc5326
GT3's don't come with sofas! With late model 911's there are 4 different seats:

Standard Seats (THIS WOULD BE A SOFA)
Sport Seats
Sport Seats Plus (standard in GT cars)
LWB
I consider all non-LWB to be sofas.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:09 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Try this 1/2" foam. I double up in areas where the curvature of my back is the highest and contour the foam down to a single layer. I have these plus some softer memory foam in all my cars. I started putting foam in all my seats more than 15 years ago and this is the first mod I do when I get a new car that doesn't have adjustable lumbar support.
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performa...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 06-11-2019, 11:22 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreasPeriera
Adding a cushion or memory foam for lower back support would be my next step along with changing the angles of the seat from upright to a more reclined angle (according to some research, 135 degrees body thigh angle is a more natural position and would put less pressure on the discs)
Really appreciate your inputs.
I have LWB's in my touring, and they are not as comfortable as the base sofa's in my old GT3. I did a 3 hour drive, and they pinched my hips. I'm tall, so they cause my back to hunch a little too much....

That being said, I love them for 90% of the driving I do, which is shorter trips, and I wouldn't have any other seat in the car. I bought two different sizes of memory foam lumbar pads, and they really help a lot. I use the small on for short trips, and the larger for longer trips. That would be a cheap experiment for you.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:05 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 512 Posts

I've had buckets, 18 ways and sofas over the last 4 GT cars. I had zero issues with my GT4 with sport buckets even driving from Cincinnati to Atlanta. My current 991.2 GT3 has the 4 way sofas. I found I had to adjust my seating position several times to find the sweet spot with the 4 ways. Doing so I was able to do the same drive to Atlanta without issue. It takes some time and thought about how I'm sitting and where I have the steering wheel positioned, trial and error. Last Spring I let two friends drive my car at the end of the day. The next morning after one hour in the GT3 I was uncomfortable. The steering wheel had been moved to the rear and downward from where I had set it. Changed it back and I was ok.
On my side I have 4 lumbar fusions with cages, rods and screws along with 3 cervical fusions with screws and a plate plus a right hip replacement. At 72 I don't plan on letting a seat stop me anytime soon. I'll continue trying to find the sweet spot between me, the seat and the steering wheel.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:39 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips
Don’t listen to generic (and almost always bad) advice about your back health and don’t do yoga! Read The Bach Mechanic by Dr. Stuart McGill. Talk to your doctor about what the cause of your pain is and learn how to move (which includes how to sit) to avoid pain triggers. The seats are almost certainly not your problem, per se, as the seats wouldn’t irritate a healthy back. There’s something going on inside your back, which you should diagnose first. Then figure out how you might be irritating the problem in the way you enter and exit the car and your seating posture.
OP comes to Porsche forum for back pain advice, gets the Porsche-related "advice" about his back from enthusiasts. Your comment is 100% on point but ...

Quick Reply: Lower back pain from sofas