Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca & Exhaust Noise Levels

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 10:57 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
These are the tips I had on my car along with Track Nanny GPS when I blew a 95 with valved side deletes and an OEM center muffler. I feel like I'm raining on everyone's parade in this thread but it is what it is.
I pulled my GMG center delete and put back the OEM center muffler and added the Soul tips. I'm doing Laguna with PCA GGR at 103. Its very quite now and sounds horrible, but I should pass no problem. Will add the turn downs if I get flagged. Will keep this set up till end of September for Sonoma (103), then go back to the glorious sound of the the GMG center delete!
The following users liked this post:
gmgracing (11-07-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:40 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid

I pulled my GMG center delete and put back the OEM center muffler and added the Soul tips. I'm doing Laguna with PCA GGR at 103. Its very quite now and sounds horrible, but I should pass no problem. Will add the turn downs if I get flagged. Will keep this set up till end of September for Sonoma (103), then go back to the glorious sound of the the GMG center delete!
You should barely pass 103dB this way. Add GPS to get to 92, then downturns to get to 90 (assuming stock exhaust).
Old 07-10-2019, 02:28 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,983 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Guess I'm bringing my Dundon quiet muffler with me up to Laguna Seca so my Cayman S can pass 103db with catless headers and a GT3 center muffler.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:37 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Special deal on a set of our Titanium Silenced Tips for anyone who's visiting Laguna soon and is happy to report back with findings on this thread.

JC
Guys who took us up on this offer, your parts are shipping tomorrow

Looking forward to the feedback

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
The following 2 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
FogCitySF (09-06-2019), Mech33 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:59 AM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Just an fyi for those who havent' tracked in a while at Laguna Seca or are new to the place.

The general rule for sound violation is three strikes and you are out for the event.

As soon as you get a strike then your session immediately ends (doesn't matter if it is the first lap, fourth lap or last lap of the session)

Do not ask the organizer to do a sound check (this counts as a strike now instead of the freebie they used to give)

In a multi day event - your strikes accumulate. If it is a two day event; you only get 3 strikes total. If you get two strikes on the first day then it carries to the next day. Do one more strike the next day then your day and event is over.

They generally give yo 2.4 decibel leeway. Thereofore, 90 db is really 92.4 db. One of the reasons for the frustration of people when they get flagged is that they feel they have been doing it the same way all day long so not sure why they get flagged. In all probability they have been playing in that 2.4 leeway space and just got over it in that one lap.

--------------They strictly enforce the above
Old 07-10-2019, 12:43 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid

The Soul tips take down a good 1-2dB. The turndowns that attach via v-clamp to those tips another 1-2dB (when pointing straight down). I measured at tips, 10ft, 25ft, 50ft.

However, if the meter is in a static position (meter is either outside the track or inside the track at all times), you can point the turndowns as turn away pipes, in this case you can see 3-4 dB drop (in addition to the 1-2dB drop from the resonated tips).

The v-clamp has two nuts for a reason. Once you install the clamps, counter tight the 2 nuts for extra safety. I used a single nut for ease of change (we are given minutes to fix sound issues), and they would get loose with heat.

The solution to enforced the valves to closed is fine as long as the side mufflers are not there. If you're using the stock and super restrictive side mufflers, do not forced the valves closed, unless you use a device like the Track-Nanny, which only closes the valves for an insignificant period of time, then no problems there.

You will be fine in your current setup for a 103dB day using the turndowns, but no way you can pass a 92dB day.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:45 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
One of the reasons for the frustration of people when they get flagged is that they feel they have been doing it the same way all day long so not sure why they get flagged. In all probability they have been playing in that 2.4 leeway space and just got over it in that one lap.

+1 to that. Last 90db day I was there I ran the first 2 sessions with no problem and then blew a 94 on 3rd lap of the 3rd session. From what I have seen you need a reasonably conservative setup to pass without worry under all conditions (one of which is one's driving style.)
Old 07-27-2019, 09:04 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
The Soul tips take down a good 1-2dB. The turndowns that attach via v-clamp to those tips another 1-2dB (when pointing straight down). I measured at tips, 10ft, 25ft, 50ft.

However, if the meter is in a static position (meter is either outside the track or inside the track at all times), you can point the turndowns as turn away pipes, in this case you can see 3-4 dB drop (in addition to the 1-2dB drop from the resonated tips).

The v-clamp has two nuts for a reason. Once you install the clamps, counter tight the 2 nuts for extra safety. I used a single nut for ease of change (we are given minutes to fix sound issues), and they would get loose with heat.

The solution to enforced the valves to closed is fine as long as the side mufflers are not there. If you're using the stock and super restrictive side mufflers, do not forced the valves closed, unless you use a device like the Track-Nanny, which only closes the valves for an insignificant period of time, then no problems there.

You will be fine in your current setup for a 103dB day using the turndowns, but no way you can pass a 92dB day.
I had no problems wit the Soul tips without the turn downs installed but I have no Idea what the sound level was. So the Soul tips with the turn downs or turn aways with the OEM exhaust will be mid 90s? So to meet sound in a 90 dB day I need the Track Nanny? I'm really interested in heading back to Laguna but don't want to make the trek and get nailed for sound.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:20 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

For those of us running old school (non valved) oil coolers, is the consensus run turn downs to the left and down at a 25degree or up at 45 degree? I haven’t ever had to worry, but I’m running a 105 day with a new setup. So anything helps when your running a cat with a 18” straight pipe.

any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:57 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 164 Posts

What does a stock gt3, gt3rs, gt2rs hit at WOT? I'm about to sign-up for a track day there in my gt2rs. I'm not accustomed not these noise constraints, heavy seat time at purpose built tracks with no annoying bylaws. I'm a bit clueless to this game.

My hardest issue as of late is the track insurance, $1150 single day, $2k for 4-5 days and $13k for a year. I wish u could buy a 5 pack for $3-4k. That said, these insurance providers seem to have wiggle room. Finally, 10% deductible, means $35k+ damage, so a reasonable accident, not just a rim, or two, sway bars axles, etc. Hmm, tough decisions.

Bit off topic but if anyone can point me to the good track insurance threads or PM me their thoughts it would be appreciated.

Ty,
Old 09-01-2019, 12:47 AM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by M3the01
What does a stock gt3, gt3rs, gt2rs hit at WOT? I'm about to sign-up for a track day there in my gt2rs. I'm not accustomed not these noise constraints, heavy seat time at purpose built tracks with no annoying bylaws. I'm a bit clueless to this game.

My hardest issue as of late is the track insurance, $1150 single day, $2k for 4-5 days and $13k for a year. I wish u could buy a 5 pack for $3-4k. That said, these insurance providers seem to have wiggle room. Finally, 10% deductible, means $35k+ damage, so a reasonable accident, not just a rim, or two, sway bars axles, etc. Hmm, tough decisions.

Bit off topic but if anyone can point me to the good track insurance threads or PM me their thoughts it would be appreciated.

Ty,
When and which group will you be running with . You will not be able to go full throttle in 3rd gear by the sound station . There are many ways to manipulate without the gps and turnpikes . (Short shift to 6th gear , stay to the left of sound station , etc .

Insurance ; I have open track . $300k and below the deductible is 5% and about 3% of greed value on an annual policy . Deductible changes to 10% once you get to $325k and above. Each additional car is $150/year . .

other carriers won’t cover some of the open advance groups st laguna Seca ( ongrid, SpeedSF , exclusive track days )
Old 09-06-2019, 12:35 AM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Had two consecutive track days at Laguna Seca, one 90 dB day and the other 92 dB. Brought the .1 RS with fully stock exhaust but with the JCR titanium turn-down tips. The bad news: my gps-based track nanny wasn't working. The good news: was able to ascertain the impact of the JCR turndown pipes on a standalone basis with the stock exhaust. I blew sound twice, in using 3rd gear through turn 5, WOT, max rpm and shifting into 4th up the straight before turn 6. First violation was at 95.1 (day one) and second was 92.5 (day 2). Both sunny days, 70ish degrees, day two seemed to have more wind blowing. Otherwise to pass sound I short shifted into 4th but with WOT and was fine even on the 90 dB day. Given that a stock RS with no exhaust silencing mods can reach 99-102+ dB, can confirm the JCR tips are good for a 4-5+ dB reduction. I have full confidence in the ability for the pipes to help pass sound WOT shifting max RPM in 3rd with a working track nanny on a 90 dB day.

Got tons of compliments on the JCR tips as are a nice compact package where I don't have to worry about obstruction of the license plate on the drive over to Laguna. Plus people loved the beautiful blue "patina"

The following 4 users liked this post by FogCitySF:
daveo4porsche (09-06-2019), iphilips (09-06-2019), propulc (01-27-2023), rotaz (05-30-2024)
Old 09-06-2019, 01:08 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FogCitySF
Had two consecutive track days at Laguna Seca, one 90 dB day and the other 92 dB. Brought the .1 RS with fully stock exhaust but with the JCR titanium turn-down tips. The bad news: my gps-based track nanny wasn't working. The good news: was able to ascertain the impact of the JCR turndown pipes on a standalone basis with the stock exhaust. I blew sound twice, in using 3rd gear through turn 5, WOT, max rpm and shifting into 4th up the straight before turn 6. First violation was at 95.1 (day one) and second was 92.5 (day 2). Both sunny days, 70ish degrees, day two seemed to have more wind blowing. Otherwise to pass sound I short shifted into 4th but with WOT and was fine even on the 90 dB day. Given that a stock RS with no exhaust silencing mods can reach 99-102+ dB, can confirm the JCR tips are good for a 4-5+ dB reduction. I have full confidence in the ability for the pipes to help pass sound WOT shifting max RPM in 3rd with a working track nanny on a 90 dB day.

Got tons of compliments on the JCR tips as are a nice compact package where I don't have to worry about obstruction of the license plate on the drive over to Laguna. Plus people loved the beautiful blue "patina"

Great feedback and your findings are right in line with our claims as posted on our website. 4/5dB is a big decrease but happy an independent can back that up and they allowed you to run, I fear without an operational track nanny and no JCR Silenced Tips it would have been day over. This product is for those exact set of circumstances.

They do look pretty cool too

JC
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (09-06-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 01:11 AM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 164 Posts

Anymore details on a gt2rs at Laguna? I'm curious what she hits stock. If I keep the exhaust baffles closed does that help? I think the sport pdk mode still opens them at points.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:18 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Another customer running our Titanium Silenced Tips, this time at Brands Hatch here in the UK.

Brands Hatch is notorious in the UK for having the tightest noise limits, one strike and you're out kind of deal. Most days are 92dB drive by limit so very similar to Laguna.

Here is what our customer had to say:

"Tried out the silenced exhaust at Brands on Friday with excellent results. For the static test it read 92 db at 4,000 rpm (limit was 98 db which would have been close) and no problem with the drive by limits of 92 db.

Here is a photo taken by the official track photographer (I have blanked out the reg plate) which shows the silencer quite nicely. Even after only one track day it is going some interesting colours.

Anyway just wanted to let you know that I am very happy with your products"

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca & Exhaust Noise Levels