First drive in 991 Speedster

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:12 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Porsche quotes their weight figures in the lightest possible spec according to one of their engineers, so the Touring you'd need to compare to would have PCCBs, etc.
But not radio (maybe, was a later added option) or AC delete (which was never offered on the 991.2 GT3).
Old 05-08-2019, 07:18 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
As Pete Stout politely asked in the first post of this thread : PLEASE KEEP THE VALUE DISCUSSIONS ON THE OTHER 10 SPEEDSTER THREADS!
I come here to read about the car I could give a rat's behind what you think the car should cost or what it should be worth down the road!
Thanks.
I asked if it is really worth the delta over the touring considering he has driven both cars that was all.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:44 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
@stout is the exhaust in the speedster louder, lower or same as .2gt3/gt3 RS?

is the delta between a speedster and GT3 manual / touring really worth it?
Pretty sure this falls under "driving impressions" embargo until the 15th. Need to respect that. If someone breaks the embargo, that's a another matter.

When it comes to 911s, I am a coupe guy (roofline is part of the appeal to me), so I'd rather have a Touring out of the box for that reason alone. I do like open cars, too, but then I'm looking at things like 356, 914, 986/987/981, CGT, etc.

And tractors and Jeeps. But I digress...

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Thanks Pete, photos are terrific.
You are welcome!

Originally Posted by Vintage72
I want this car - I love my Touring but good golly. I have wanted a Speedster desperately ever since the movie, The Freshman in 1990.
That emotional thing is what makes a car like this possible. I'm a coupe guy when it comes to 911s, but the emotional pull of certain cars for certain people is strong. Felt a lot of connections to the A1 and A2 GTIs I used to love as a kid in the first few months with our new Mk5 GTI years ago...it was like I had grown up, and so had the GTI. It's easy to get cynical (and for good reason, at times), but these connections are powerful.

Originally Posted by disden
thanks Pete, that Yellow Speedster looks fantastic. cant wait to hear your driving impressions. no doubt the side mufflers are coming off my RS now.
I'm hindered on sharing driving impressions for now. Were it me with an existing RS, my first call would be to Sharkwerks. Not just because I like those guys—and no, I don't make a dime if you buy something from them—but because the best sounding flat six I have ever driven had their exhaust on it. It was possible to "drive it quiet" if you knew how to play it, and like a Cup car on the north coast. Have less experience with their post-997 stuff, but if they made that setup, I'd be tempted to do whatever it is they're doing for the 991 GT cars.

Originally Posted by GrantG
While many Rennlisters have reported good results with side muffler bypasses, I don't think it's quite a fair inference to make that because the Speedster has no side mufflers, we should delete them from our .2 GT3/RS cars because Porsche has decided they are redundant or useless going forward

To me it sounds like the entire exhaust system (and ITB intakes) has been redesigned as a system. I read somewhere that the new central (only) muffler has internal flaps and other electronically controlled internal functions to optimize the exhaust sound and (now broader) power/torque across the rev range. The current vacuum controlled exhaust valves are replaced by functions in this new fancy muffler.

So, I guess I'm saying the systems are apples and oranges. What works on one, won't necessarily provide the same result on the other...
^ Very good analysis—spot on, actually.

Originally Posted by Pcar81
Thanks for the info, stout.

also, will the mesh be a part of all US Porsche vehicles or just the speedster for now?
As I understand it (which is a big caveat), all U.S. cars will be getting the mesh to replicate the back pressure of the particulate filters—with filters added to U.S. cars somewhere down the road if/when required.

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
Def. not! Same power pretty much for double the price almost

The 911 R MSRP was much better priced in my opinion and was more limited 991 as opposed to 1900 plus
As a 911 coupe guy, agreed—the 911R was better priced. Got to the bottom of this with someone from Porsche while there, and it's a matter of the body configuration: Gearbox aside, the 911R was a pretty easy car to make in development terms. The reason the Speedster is so much more expensive is the cost of developing the top system and spreading those costs over a business case with 1,948 cars rather than tens of thousands of cars.

Originally Posted by sting168
Does the Speedster come with PCM? Thanks.
In the U.S., yes due to rear camera/screen requirement. In Europe and presumably elsewhere, it can be had without PCM.

Originally Posted by Fcastel04
Hi thanks for the interesting review!

Are the wheels on the Agata grey Speedster in Satin Alum or normal SILVER color??
As far as I can tell, they are Satin Aluminum—which is slightly lighter than the silver paint and has no gloss. I preferred it over all other wheel colors at the launch. While wheel color is a super personal thing, I like the Satin Aluminum both because they are the most "mechanical/metal" finish, but also because my eye suggests the amount of bodywork at the rear of the Speedster needs as much wheel under it as possible, and big silver wheels help there.

Originally Posted by Taffy66
You,Gravs,myself and a few hundred others in the same boat. Reading the Speedster's spec sheet leads me to either of two assumptions...Either Porsche will get a special one off dispensation for a small limited number of an existing model ie GT3 RS, where the requirement to fit GPFs are waived.
The second assumption is that the second batch RSs will indeed have the mandatory GPFs fitted along with some pretty extensive internal engine changes to counteract the GPFs...These changes could be the ITBs or something else entirely we haven't thought about..
Its very strange that nothing has been leaked from Porsche about the second batch WLTP qualifying RSs, which leads my conspiracy theorist brain into thinking that some substantial top secret changes have been made.
I don't have info I can share on the above, but will say this re: conspiracy theories: I'd be surprised if VAG or any of its subsidiaries—or, for that matter, any other carmaker—tried to pull anything with emissions right now. The climate around that stuff here and abroad is highly sensitive, for obvious reasons. My guess is whatever is done is going to be by the book, and that may take time in each case.

Originally Posted by fxz
Not clear is it 50kg heavier than a Touring ?Not sure because pccb are standard in the Speedster not in the Touring,
so in reality is the Speedster 70kg heavier than a Touring with pccb?

What about of the aircon not standard in the Speedster? another 15kg?
thus 85kg heavier in total?
Yep. Fair points, and you can certainly look at it that way. They're going to look at it (and market it) as "Speedster spec" weight vs "Touring spec" weight. To that end, there are things like PCM (some markets), floor mats, etc that need to "weighed" in trying to get a real weight comparison. Of course, that is fraught too, as you have to add PCCB to the Touring...

Originally Posted by fxz
Isn't the body in white the same as the Cabrio??
Body in white not same as a Cabrio. Asked about that in the interview for 000 (if that's what I do with it), and we went from the front to the back of the car. It's closer to a 911R or GT3 Touring without a roof, and the lower windshield was a serious commitment in terms of R&D, safety, etc.

Originally Posted by Autobahn11228
I am also a little bit suprised about the weight gain. I thought this car is like the 911 R without a roof, however the R is even around >250 pounds lighter, correct!?
While the theme is "911R without a roof), the 911R is a bad marker when it comes to weight.

Originally Posted by bli8
So the Speedster with ADM is going to cost about the same as two GT3 Touring. Then a couple of years from now, it will be worth less than a 911R as the production numbers about about double. I think many 918 VIP's are going to pass on this car and ADM will come down significantly very quickly.
I hate ADM, but have little to add to that discussion—I'm more interested in and better equipped to convey information on the cars as cars. Your analysis above may or may not hold true. As a coupe guy, the 911R would be more interesting to me. However, there are a lot of people who love convertibles, and I think a lot of us here on RL—particularly in track-oriented car forums—are coupe-oriented and possibly out of synch with that market. Hard to know.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
How cool is this first hand reporting, wow, supercool!
Stout, better than any car review out there

Thanks, man. Part of the 000 journey is figuring out how to do a magazine for a smaller group of people who really want to understand what's behind the hood crest on their cars, and part of it is figuring out how/when to stay relevant with current Porsche models—which means maintaining a reason to be at these events. 000 isn't about "now" media, so just when I thought about pulling the plug on Rennlist (the 991.1 vs 991.2 threads almost got me there...), we went all in with a sponsorship and a goal of bringing firsthand reporting on interesting models to RL when we're at an event. It's been fun for me, as I like the interaction—as well as some of the questions brought up. So I treat this as a bit of the "notes" I used to use for drafting road tests on new cars...as I am not doing those in the same way anymore. There's some new muscle memory at work, so it's early days, but I think both what I am doing here and for 000 out of these events can grow into something pretty cool.

However, if you like what you're seeing, I'd ask you to consider supporting 000 with a subscription, gift subscriptions, etc—as that's where the invites are coming from. While the Speedster launch is a bit odd due to an info embargo followed by a (still active) driving impressions embargo, it should be possible to interact with this forum in real time at some of these launches—which, again, is fun for me.

If you can clone yourself a couple or three times you could take over Youtube with 000.
Now this is the one thing I am not interested in. Decided a while ago that I have zero interest in being part of the video culture or the "selfie" culture when it comes to content. No knocks against it, as some are born with the talent and use it well to the entertainment of many, but just not my bag. Goal of 000 is smaller audience, and possibly some events that are very different in flavor to what's out there, or what is right for other organizations. Goal is to add things to the landscape rather than compete with what's already out there—and there are plenty of internet TV personalities. So I'll leave that to them!

Originally Posted by Petevb
Porsche quotes their weight figures in the lightest possible spec according to one of their engineers, so the Touring you'd need to compare to would have PCCBs, etc.
^ Exactly. No one does this better, that I have seen, than Petevb.

Originally Posted by Gravs
Read something about extra bracing made possible because of no back seats.
Yes, that is correct. The Speedster has same spring rates as the GT3 Touring because of the brace—which was made possible by its top design/cartridge.

Originally Posted by fxz
Btw Touring cannot delete the a/c
Correct.

Originally Posted by Taffy66
Correct.Which means that with all other things being equal the real difference between the Touring and the Speedster rises from 50Kg to 65-70Kg...Coincidentally this is exactly the same as between the standard 991 Coupe and 991 Cabrio..Some clever marketing spin going on here methinks..!
Which is not surprising at all. Tried to compare that in a haze at a stopover in Munich, but gave up. It's the right comparison. Difference to note is the rigidity gained in the Speedster, which I think comes at a cost of the new structural member's weight. IIRC, it's metal and not terribly heavy but not flyweight either. Trying to remember if it was 18kg or 18lbs, or 15-20 something, I think. Can work on getting the right number and materials. I guess no one else asked, as the answer wasn't canned.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:55 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

While we are waiting in this trough for the driving impressions embargo to be lifted, I spotted the Speedster configuration thread and posted the below after spending time with the Speedster. Not meant to suggest it's the right spec for someone else, but it's the way I would go...

After spending a couple of days around the Speedster in Sardinia, and a day behind the wheel while watching others on the road, here's what I'd order if no PTS:

PKIA5592

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKIA5592

Primary reasoning: I think silver really suits this car (I haven't bought a silver car for almost 20 years...), as will metallics (and normally I am a "uni" car). Metallics play up the character lines on the rear panels, and also "de-bulk" some areas due to the highlights fading to darkness. As for the interior, I'd actually skip the two-tone and red stitching in favor of classic black with black stitching, but go off the deep end on leather (a bit) because the car didn't feel like a lightweight to me on the road, and should feel expensive given its price point. Fire extinguisher and red belts and red 12 o'clock marker to add hints of sport/safety equipment, a nod to the original Speedster's primary usage in CA.

If PTS really is available and can be obtained, I'd think about 1980s Linen Metallic or some other "silver/champagne" color that picks up the warmth of vintage silvers of the 356/550 era. If LTS is offered, I'd be thinking about green leather on a straight silver of some sort (like the old 356s) or possibly Linen Metallic or similar on big grain Ascot Brown from the CGT.

YMMV!
Old 05-08-2019, 08:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

As someone who thinks the rear end of the Speedster is a total mess, I have to agree that it looks best in Silver in those pics, by far. Silver masks some of the bulbous ingongruity of everything and looks the best.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:33 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
The body in white of the 991 Speedster is the reason for its cost...the A-pillars are a very big deal, but there's more to it than that. Various cartridges under the skin make way for the GT3 front end (three radiators with top vent, front suspension, fuel tank) and the GT3 rear end (oil system tank, etc) and then the lack of the cabriolet rear seats/top was utilized to add a significant strengthening structural member under the new top system—which also had to be developed. Now add all that (particularly the A-pillars) to a convertible top + the rear upper panel, and divide by 1,948 cars. My takeaway: They had to choose to develop one top system, and the weight saved by ditching the non-power top the car got isn't much in light of its single motor (for the forward latch) and generally lightweight manual construction. Other elements would have had to be there anyway, whether the large, 22-pound~ "nacelle" panel in carbon or the heavy/strong rollover system from the Cabriolet—which is required.
emphasis mine

I appreciate that this is the official explanation.

May I ask if you personally believe that these accommodations and their development costs truly justify the msrp of this car?
Do they really represent the delta between the base msrps of a GT3RS and the Speedster?

Understand that such costs are going to be higher than other models because they have to be spread across such a low volume car, but in my humble opinion, albeit an ignorant one as I do not have knowledge of manufacturing accounting, it seems an obvious conclusion that Porsche decided to grab the money for themselves instead of the flippers. Which is fine, but then lets call it what it is rather than the a pillar and bracing cost us so much that we had to charge $100k more base price for a car over the 3RS, which not for nothing, resolves to $194,800,000 ... that must be some bracing.

Given your circumstances this is more of a rhetorical question to make a point ... the rest of your information is very illuminating a greatly appreciated, and like others I am jonesing to hear your driving impressions.

Edit to clarify: This isn't a value post. As per your post quoted above, you opened the door with referencing cost, so I'm am responding directly to that.

Last edited by soulsea; 05-08-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:44 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 63 Posts

Could you find out more on the elimination of the centrifugal pendulum dampener. Should make the engine more responsive.

Enjoying this thread!
Looking forward to your driving impressions soon.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:01 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soulsea
I appreciate that this is the official explanation.

May I ask if you personally believe that these accommodations and their development costs truly justify the msrp of this car?
Do they really represent the delta between the base msrps of a GT3RS and the Speedster?

Understand that such costs are going to be higher than other models because they have to be spread across such a low volume car, but in my humble opinion, albeit an ignorant one as I do not have knowledge of manufacturing accounting, it seems an obvious conclusion that Porsche decided to grab the money for themselves instead of the flippers. Which is fine, but then lets call it what it is rather than the a pillar and bracing cost us so much that we had to charge $100k more base price for a car over the 3RS, which not for nothing, resolves to $194,800,000 ... that must be some bracing.

Given your circumstances this is more of a rhetorical question to make a point ... the rest of your information is very illuminating a greatly appreciated, and like others I am jonesing to hear your driving impressions.
These are good questions, and I'll tackle them in order.

If we are getting into my personal beliefs, as a coupe guy when it comes to 911s, there's no way I could justify the MSRP of this car—for me. But your first question is a bit more nuanced, and leads to your next question...if I understand it correctly. And, in that case, the answer is I truly don't know as Porsche rarely shares its back end costs (true for a lot of companies). They sold a lot of 991.1 GT3 RS, and a fair few 991.2 GT3 RS as well. More than the Speedster, I think, and the car was still a coupe like its basis. Yes, a lot of new panels, aero, wheel well stuffing, etc, but still modifications to an existing body in white (GT3, which itself is based on a mix of Carrera 4, Turbo, etc). I don't know what it costs to develop a 22-pound clamshell, complete top system safe to 192+ mph that's much more user friendly than the 997 Speedster top, new A-pillars and windshield that meet roll-over requirements, etc. So, I'm ill equipped to answer that. Is the above helpful? I am not so sure, which gets into the why I don't love "value" discussions. I will say this: The MSRP of this car makes a lot more sense to me than the last Speedster, which drove the same as a better looking and mechanically identical 997.2 Carrera GTS (I drove them back to back for a long road test for Excellence). IIRC, the delta on the 997.2 Carrera GTS to 997.2 Speedster was big $$ also. Just looked...it was $204,000 base price for a run of 356 cars versus $113,850 for a GTS Cabriolet—so that's ~1.79x the price. (Interestingly, a 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet is currently $133,000, making the Speedster ~2.06x; mitigating factors include a lot more cars with what I suspect are better panels and a GT3 engine.)

((Please note, I am an English major, and jet-lagged, so it might be good to double check my math.))

If people are really approaching this car on a value basis, I don't know as I'll be of much help. There are plenty of outlets interested in telling people what stuff should be worth. I am a driver...that's really all that interests me in a car, followed in a distant second by what I think about how a car looks/sounds/is to live with/etc. Put it that way, and those looking for value might be surprised by how much they'd like a car that no one ordered: A base 991.2 Carrera Cabriolet 7MT with 4WSS+, GT steering wheel, and not much else. Given how closely the base Carrera and the Carrera T drive, and some of the raves about the T we've seen from GT3 drivers here on RL as well as my own raves, I suspect some people would be genuinely surprised by how much fun they'd have in a base Carrera Cab. And they might use it…a lot. And leave it places. But, for others, there's "specialness" about cars—however they define that—and the Speedster is going to tick those boxes with things like rarity, an NA flat six, a 6MT, the bodywork, the brakes, the wheels, etc.

I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer to the above. There's just what one person likes or doesn't like in the end.

And yes, I am jonesing to share my take on the driving of the Speedster, too!

Originally Posted by BusDriver
Could you find out more on the elimination of the centrifugal pendulum dampener. Should make the engine more responsive.

Enjoying this thread!
Looking forward to your driving impressions soon.
Right on, and can look more into. No promises, as I am back in the states, but I do have some followup to do and will include this.

I did ask about the "lightweight dual-mass" flywheel in this car, and learned or re-learned some things about that. Short of it is this flywheel is lighter than previous attempts, and along with other rotating mass tweaks goes some way toward replicating the overall rotating mass of the 911R. So why not add a SMF to a 991.2 GT3 for the benefit? Answer is harmonics with the .2 GT3 engine...and while you can do it and it will feel great when you drive out of the shop, it won't be so happy a few thousand miles (?) later when one of the main bearings is compromised by the harmonics.

Will have more on the revvviness of this engine when I can share my driving impressions…
Old 05-08-2019, 11:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soulsea
Edit to clarify: This isn't a value post. As per your post quoted above, you opened the door with referencing cost, so I'm am responding directly to that.
All good, and no worries!

I did my best with it above. Maybe useful perspective, maybe not. Just my take.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:11 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
All good, and no worries!

I did my best with it above. Maybe useful perspective, maybe not. Just my take.
And it honestly wasn't a value question as that would be a buyer's perspective ... it was a price justification question from the pov of the manufacturer, which I still find suspect.

I really appreciate your honest and authentic answer to my question.

Even with jet lag, you sir are a class act.

Cheers!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:37 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

The price is the price regardless of how they arrived at it. Main question is really whether all this is relevant to the average GT buyer..i.e can we actually get one? I suspect not.

Good info Pete.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:28 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Stout,

I don’t think this is a driving impression but can you share your view of the grey top windscreen if any of the cars had it? It’s a new option I am not familiar with and some pictures or impression of it would be helpful in deciding to order or not.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:05 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Just finished reading these 9 pages, Thanks very much Pete!

Really looking forward to your driving report.

As for value, only the buyer himself will know if it is worth it or not.

I think it is about $50K more expensive than I anticipate, but I will buy one anyway.

At this price, Speedster is the preferred sport car for me in comparison to what the current Ferrari, Lambo or McLaren is offering, as I have stopped chasing for horsepower long time ago.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:04 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Stout,

I don’t think this is a driving impression but can you share your view of the grey top windscreen if any of the cars had it? It’s a new option I am not familiar with and some pictures or impression of it would be helpful in deciding to order or not.
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Just finished reading these 9 pages, Thanks very much Pete!

Really looking forward to your driving report.

As for value, only the buyer himself will know if it is worth it or not.

I think it is about $50K more expensive than I anticipate, but I will buy one anyway.

At this price, Speedster is the preferred sport car for me in comparison to what the current Ferrari, Lambo or McLaren is offering, as I have stopped chasing for horsepower long time ago.
I agree fully on pricing and the other offerings. Cars have too much hp these days
Old 05-09-2019, 07:48 AM
Ch01
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone should not take his allocation, please contact me. My Porsche center is rather small, got only one allocation that was given to other customer already 2 years on the waiting list... It would be fantastic if this forum could help true enthusiasts...

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: First drive in 991 Speedster