Received 831 Likes on 381 Posts

Thanks Pete. Looking forward to it.

Hopefully the granularity of the .2 6 speed is maintained in the speedster,
Old 05-02-2019, 09:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

So, as I prepare for the trip, I'll do what I've done in the past when covering something for 000: If you've got questions I can answer in real time from the event (so long as wi-fi, bandwidth, and clarity are available), I'd be happy to look for answers. No guarantees, but I've had pretty good luck in the past.

Best,
Just one: when are they going to release the dang Boxster Spyder?
Old 05-02-2019, 09:18 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Where are the downstream O2 sensors relative to the GPF.

I am betting after, but I can’t tell from the pics. Maybe just a full explanation of the system.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Pete
Honestly cannot understand absence of PDK option that would suit this car, IMHO, as well if not better than MT. Given the “bravery” of admission ticket and total number to be produced the choice of transmissions would seem obvious. Curious to hear Porsche’s take on this.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 128 Posts

Having seen this car at Rennsport, and owning at GT3 touring, I'm really looking forward to your impressions.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:21 PM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

can you record engine sounds at speed?
Old 05-03-2019, 12:12 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Pete, another one for you:

What are the differences between the old style exhaust (on all 997 and 991 GT3/RS/R - headers w/ integrated cats into valved side mufflers into center muffler) vs. the new speedster exhaust, which features a revised design, incorporating the Otto particulate filter?

What sort of exhaust setup will cars bound for non-OPF markets have? Does Porsche envision designing two different exhaust systems for every car they make going forward (with and without OPF) How will Porsche redress performance differences - if any - between the two exhaust systems - software?
Old 05-03-2019, 12:42 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Nice- It has got be exciting and thanks for nipping the value $$$ questions in the **** ahead of time but it will be amusing to see if it will work

Very interested in this thread and looking forward to your im?partial(do not sell out on us) views on how it drives, steers, corners, engine noise ect ect compared to some current models.

Congrats!!!
Thanks, man. And don't worry, I won't sell out on you guys. A long time ago, at Excellence, I learned a simple guideline: Serve the reader. Everything else will sort itself out if you do. The day I can't do that, is the day I go do something else.

I've put criticism alongside my praise in the past, and to Porsche's credit this has never closed doors. Funnily enough, I think I've gotten more grief here on RL! (I recall getting hammered here on RL when I suggested the dampers in the 997.1 GT3 weren't all that, and again for "too bad it's PDK only" sidebar to my 991 GT3 first test). Hopefully, I'll gain some useful perspective on the car while over there—we'll see. Really hope the roads will be good!

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Enjoy Pete, love to understand any emissions equipment on this car and of course those Individual Throttle Bodies
On it.

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Nothing to do with luck. He has been a Porsche promoter and journalist for many years. Dedicated, passionate and hard working.This is certainly earned.

Enjoy Pete! Looking forward to seeing if this car can top your non electric spyder drive up the CA coast.
Thanks! I am curious too...though the high bar, with ten cylinders firing, remains unparalleled. There have been some other real standouts over all the years, both in terms of cars and drives. We shall see how this one goes…

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
Subscribed and can't wait to hear your initial thoughts. Thanks in advance for allowing us to right seat "virtually" with you on this journey. I am interested in your impressions of how special this car is and how special you feel while driving the car. Is the driver open air GT experience epic making this a must own car. I drive my cars - they do not sit and that driver experience/engagement is everything to me.
You are welcome! Love those last words…that's what it's all about.

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Interested how the tall man will fit - or not fit in this car.
I'm 6'2 and long torso. Will report, but I can fit myself into pretty much anything I want to drive as a classic "craner."

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I know Porsche is most likely mum on the subject of future vehicles, but will we see this engine again before the 992 GT3? Along those lines, is this the last 991 iteration?

And will you make it back in time for Luft?
Good questions, as with so many others here, and while talk about future product is usually poor form at these events that is not always the case. We'll see...

Yep, will be back for Luft...I'd better be as I'm doing the tours in the vault!

Originally Posted by rcristobal
0-60 in 3.8s, hopefully you brought some hair gel.
Fortunately, I just cut most of my hair off.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Just one: when are they going to release the dang Boxster Spyder?
Right? I'll hassle 'em for you.

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Pete
Honestly cannot understand absence of PDK option that would suit this car, IMHO, as well if not better than MT. Given the “bravery” of admission ticket and total number to be produced the choice of transmissions would seem obvious. Curious to hear Porsche’s take on this.
Can look into, but suspect the answer is it's a "puristic" car and/or it's a case to underline the idea that a manual gearbox is not a hindrance to sales. Just my pet theories.

Originally Posted by 80p
can you record engine sounds at speed?
With an iPhone. Thought about trying to up my game in that area, and while there isn't enough time, even pretty good exhaust videos usually tell me...not much. Still, let me see what I can grab. Will bring the RAM mount.

Originally Posted by Guest89
Pete, another one for you:

What are the differences between the old style exhaust (on all 997 and 991 GT3/RS/R - headers w/ integrated cats into valved side mufflers into center muffler) vs. the new speedster exhaust, which features a revised design, incorporating the Otto particulate filter?

What sort of exhaust setup will cars bound for non-OPF markets have? Does Porsche envision designing two different exhaust systems for every car they make going forward (with and without OPF) How will Porsche redress performance differences - if any - between the two exhaust systems - software?
As with so many questions here, good stuff. Will probably collect and print whatever is here by tomorrow afternoon. Doesn't mean we can't add more, but it's nice to have them off device when using the device for an interview.

Re: the Speedster's exhaust, I understand it will be an unusual car for the US because it will have the particulate filtration system where others won't—because it allowed for the deletion of the side mufflers, saving weight. Or something like that. More to come…
Old 05-03-2019, 12:53 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,070 Likes on 5,253 Posts

Pete, will you ask if the Speedster will have the option of an extended range fuel tank (like the GT3/RS models)?

Thank you, and enjoy the trip.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:57 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

You are living the life Pete and thanks for taking us along.

Questions (probably repeat of what others already asked)
Will 2nd tranche of Euro GT3RS have OPF? Heard yes, Also heard will still be rated at 520HP cause previous cars without OPF really made more. Can you confirm?
Will US cars have OPF going forward?
I doubt you will get a official answer on this, but can't hurt to try - 992 GT3s seem to be making the same whining noise 997 GT3R Hybrid does. Confirmation that it will go hybrid?
Old 05-03-2019, 01:19 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

My question: Will it be possible to retro-fit the ITB:s to a 991.2 GT3...?
(or has the engine HW and surroundings changed too much?)
Old 05-03-2019, 01:39 AM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I’d love to know what happened to the two wonderful wheels they showed for the Heritage and Guards Red concepts. Particularly the latter (the former is essentially the same as the 50th, Club Coupe et al).
Old 05-03-2019, 02:46 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
With an iPhone. Thought about trying to up my game in that area, and while there isn't enough time, even pretty good exhaust videos usually tell me...not much. Still, let me see what I can grab. Will bring the RAM mount.
Thanks. iPhone or not, your thoughts on the topic afterwards would be just as appreciated. Interested to see how the ITBs and PF changes how it sounds.

Last edited by 80p; 05-03-2019 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:38 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 562 Likes on 360 Posts

How is the chassis setup?
I mean, what is conceived as a roofless GT3 or R. The second seems to have been designed from the start to be more lively and "comfortable" when the first is more focused on stability and more harsh.

Also, is the body's rigidity improved compared to a 991 convertible, to work with the suspension?

PS: Don't forget to take the sun cream. Your new hair cut may be painful otherwise
Old 05-03-2019, 04:09 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Similar question about the engine. Could you try and confirm the rumour that the next batch of 2019 GT3 RS cars will get the same engine with OPF and ITB?

Quick Reply: First drive in 991 Speedster