orthojoe 991.2 RS at Thunderhill and track talk

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:47 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Joe the issue I had on the dunlops on my old GT4 is that the center of the tire would get chewed up. Impressed you made it through that many sessions without chunking
Old 03-04-2019, 02:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Joe the issue I had on the dunlops on my old GT4 is that the center of the tire would get chewed up. Impressed you made it through that many sessions without chunking
CJ, I had the same issue with the original Dunlops. Two days and the center tread was totally gone. Were you running the maxx race or the maxx race 2 Dunlops? The maxx race 2 seems to have fixed that problem and the center is tread is no longer a problem
Old 03-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great driving!! Watching Jeff in that video made me real nervous - applying opposite lock at 100+mph good Lord!!!!!! Especially that moment at 2min 50sec
Old 03-04-2019, 05:03 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 193 Posts

I have the Dunlops on my 991.2GT3 and driving at Oulton Park Circuit on friday..In contrast to what you say some more experienced track guys here in the UK much prefer the new Michelins to the Dunlops..They say that the Dunlops don't last as long for hard track use..I personally like the Dunlops however i'm no expert by any shot.The general consensus here in the UK (Wet place) is the Dunlops are better in the wet and cold..Any thoughts Joe..?
I enjoy reading Joe's track experiences and have learnt a lot from him..
Old 03-04-2019, 05:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Taffy66
I have the Dunlops on my 991.2GT3 and driving at Oulton Park Circuit on friday..In contrast to what you say some more experienced track guys here in the UK much prefer the new Michelins to the Dunlops..They say that the Dunlops don't last as long for hard track use..I personally like the Dunlops however i'm no expert by any shot.The general consensus here in the UK (Wet place) is the Dunlops are better in the wet and cold..Any thoughts Joe..?
I enjoy reading Joe's track experiences and have learnt a lot from him..
I think the Dunlop impressions are from the old tire. The old tires center section would fall apart quickly with hard use. The new maxx race 2 is not the same tire.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:59 AM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for a very informative thread, i ran my .2 3RS today, on Cup2's that have seen better days, i was getting a lot of both entry and exist oversteer, bars are set at medium front and rear, i need to check the Rake, and am being lazy, does anyone have the factory data for the 991.2 3 RS and the measuring points? getting even tire wear across both ends on factory spec.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:10 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I moved over from the MPSC2 N1 to the “new” Dunlop race2 exactly 1 year ago.

We tested the two tyres back to back - new for new. I did about 60 laps of a GP circuit and this was the result:
1. 7 of the top 10 times were on the Dunlop.
2. The fastest three times were on the Dunlop.
3. The fastest Michelin time was 0.3 sec slower than the fastest Dunlop time. (On a 1m 40s a lap track)

The Dunlop Race 2 is nothing like the Dunlop Race 1.
I have not tested the MPSC2 N2 or R. All tests seem to suggest the N2 is a harder compound and the R is much softer, which won’t help me to much in tyre restricted Tarmac rallies. The Race 2 seems “just right”.

I have now done several hundred race km on the Dunlop race 2 and the wear and consistency over the life of the tyre is impressive.
I actually think it is better in the wet than the N1.

so, while there is not a lot in it - I think the Dunlop is perhaps slightly quicker, but it’s the wear and feel that I enjoy about it. As you mentioned, Joe - it does slide a little earlier but it’s more predictable on the limit. I’ve also found the hot pressure working range is wider. It still offers awesome grip at 38 psi.

my 10 cents worth.

Last edited by skippyBKR; 03-06-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skippyBKR
I moved over from the MPSC2 N1 to the “new” Dunlop race2 exactly 1 year ago.

We tested the two tyres back to back - new for new. I did about 60 laps of a GP circuit and this was the result:
1. 7 of the top 10 times were on the Dunlop.
2. The fastest three times were on the Dunlop.
3. The fastest Michelin time was 0.3 sec slower than the fastest Dunlop time. (On a 1m 40s a lap track)

The Dunlop Race 2 is nothing like the Dunlop Race 1.
I have not tested the MPSC2 N2 or R. All tests seem to suggest the N2 is a harder compound and the R is much softer, which won’t help me to much in tyre restricted Tarmac rallies. The Race 2 seems “just right”.

I have now done several hundred race km on the Dunlop race 2 and the wear and consistency over the life of the tyre is impressive.
I actually think it is better in the wet than the N1.

so, while there is not a lot in it - I think the Dunlop is perhaps slightly quicker, but it’s the wear and feel that I enjoy about it. As you mentioned, Joe - it does slide a little earlier but it’s more predictable on the limit. I’ve also found the hot pressure working range is wider. It still offers awesome grip at 38 psi.

my 10 cents worth.

Thanks for chiming in, skippy! It's reassuring to see that other people are finding the same as me. I've always felt the Dunlop compound was a touch faster than the Michelin, but the original Dunlop tire would wear away very quickly. Dunlop has fixed that problem with the race2. I think more importantly the Dunlops give you more of a chance to set fast lap times because they don't slow down with heat cycles, number of laps into the session, or higher pressures/heat. My feeling is that the cup2 are faster, but only for the first 5 laps of the first 2-3 heat cycles. After that, the Dunlops take over.

My only concern now is that it will be harder to get this tires if people start to believe us. Lol!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by .dee
thanks for a very informative thread, i ran my .2 3RS today, on Cup2's that have seen better days, i was getting a lot of both entry and exist oversteer, bars are set at medium front and rear, i need to check the Rake, and am being lazy, does anyone have the factory data for the 991.2 3 RS and the measuring points? getting even tire wear across both ends on factory spec.
I don't see a good reason to change the ride height or rake. I think your issue is that the cup2s are heat cycled out. Put on a new set of tires and the car will behave much better.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:13 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Heat cycling is a much worse handling variable than tread depth. The heat cycled tire has a harder outer surface and therefore never grips up...I'd rather have a tire that wears down and stays consistent down to the cords.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:35 AM
.dee
Instructor

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I don't see a good reason to change the ride height or rake. I think your issue is that the cup2s are heat cycled out. Put on a new set of tires and the car will behave much better.
thanks, suspected this was the issue, new set of dunlops (Race 2's) on the way to be fitted next week. Will report back on the difference
Old 03-07-2019, 07:37 AM
.dee
Instructor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Heat cycling is a much worse handling variable than tread depth. The heat cycled tire has a harder outer surface and therefore never grips up...I'd rather have a tire that wears down and stays consistent down to the cords.
agree and most likely the correct cause of the issue... a new set of tires will confirm this

Thanks
Old 03-08-2019, 02:22 AM
DRE168
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great video.

Have you got your SOLO 2 DL connected to ECU via OBDII or CAN? I was told to attach via OBDII but I can’t seem to log braking.

Cheers.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:39 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DRE168
Great video.

Have you got your SOLO 2 DL connected to ECU via OBDII or CAN? I was told to attach via OBDII but I can’t seem to log braking.

Cheers.
Thanks! I'm connected via obd2. 2 things to consider:

1). Are you connected via the Porsche specific obd2 protocol and not the generic obd2
2). Transmission. You can only get brake pressure via obd2 if you have pdk. If you have manual transmission, you need to connect via CAN if you want brake pressure.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks! I'm connected via obd2. 2 things to consider:

1). Are you connected via the Porsche specific obd2 protocol and not the generic obd2
2). Transmission. You can only get brake pressure via obd2 if you have pdk. If you have manual transmission, you need to connect via CAN if you want brake pressure.
Also, at least for AIM Solo with Smartycam HD set up, OBD lags a little compared to CAN. Not sure if it's an issue with software-based rendering.

Quick Reply: orthojoe 991.2 RS at Thunderhill and track talk