Sponsored by:

Porsche could learn a thing or two from Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 08:17 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Default Porsche could learn a thing or two from Jeep

A Porsche-built automobile is superior to a Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep-built automobile in every conceivable way. We all know that. But Jeep does do some things right, and I think Porsche could learn a thing or two from them. The single biggest thing Jeep does right that Porsche is way behind in is after-purchase customer care. Let me explain.

I join this Jeep forum and there is a sponsor on it called JeepCares. Far more than lip service, these people are getting involved with Jeep to make sure people are taken care of. Is your Jeep stuck at the dealer for two weeks waiting for a part to come in? JeepCares gets involved, talking to the dealer and FCA reps at corporate to get things expedited. And people are getting results. I needed a paper manual (Jeep doesn’t come with the full manual), so i PM JeepCares. Two days later it shows up. So having a customer advocate who is proactive on the forums makes a huge difference with regards to perception. Porsche needs this. By not having this presence they lose control of the discussion. Then things spiral out of control, and conspiracy theories start flowing.

I know right now that if i don’t get the service i think i should from my dealer JeepCares is going to start making phone calls. Of course i am probably going to need them since my dash cluster is acting up.

Porsche, get with the program! If Jeep can do this....
Old 03-01-2019, 08:21 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 211 Posts

Ford and GM are doing the same thing for enthusiast forums.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:34 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,136 Likes on 2,893 Posts

Sounds like a good idea
Old 03-01-2019, 08:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by ranger22
Ford and GM are doing the same thing for enthusiast forums.
It is just good business. Not surprised others are doing this.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
Sounds like a good idea
It really is, Grant. They are commenting on topics on the forum before people even ask for help, telling them to PM them with details so they can get involved. This is “social” and “proactive” customer service. I bet they are saving Jeep money, too and they are controlling the narrative. People are commenting that JeepCares was a big help, etc. etc. It shuts down the negativity before it can get rolling. We may have never needed a COG if we had PorscheCares around here.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:51 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,902 Likes on 980 Posts

Jeep had me at they would sell me a car....

Love my Wrangler Unlimited.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:09 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

That’s a great idea. Jeep people, like Porsche people, are very brand loyal and some support probably goes a long way.

While I take a dim view of most modern Jeeps, the 4.0 straight six is incredibly reliable and durable. I dragged one out of a driveway with 200k on it that had been sitting for five years (I am a hoarder with a craigslist addiction) and it started right up. Had a bunch of work to get it safe and had to do some welding for rust, but i am pretty sure it will run longer than the new GT3. I have been tempted to get a new wrangler for a while, I will probably jump right before they kill the NA V6 and 6MT. Only real issues are color selection and the rubicon interior is hideous.

Another FCA perk is the lifetime warranty option. For people like me who keep things forever and also who maintain cars by the book or better than is an attractive option.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:14 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I received an email from Porschecares about their service. The ADM was a bit on the high side.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:18 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking at Toyotas Tacoma TRD PRO I laughed so hard when I saw an ADM, ain't happening. I'm shooting for 5% off MSRP, if not it's a ZR2. Both Toyota and Chevy offer good customer aftercare.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I received an email from Porschecares about their service. The ADM was a bit on the high side.
Yo... that's just the PorscheCares GT program
Old 03-01-2019, 11:32 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,831 Likes on 539 Posts

Plus PTS Nardo is free.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

JeepCares is the real deal for sure. Rob I’m on that same forum when Imhad my Wrangler. I drive. Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk for my daily driver...I love it. I miss my Wrangler Rubicon though and hanging out with the local Tampa Jeep Krewe club.

Fords new GT500 for 2020 is coming with a sequential transmission and I believe the Chevy Cameron might have one too, I don’t have a left leg to push a clutch so PDK is awesome for me. However I will definitely be looking in the future at those 2 cars for fun weekend and track cars.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:47 PM
jchou38
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't say i had any great service with Jeep...have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, nothing but problems after 3 years/40k miles had to fight for any warranty claims refused to cover anything. Even cut myself on the BS carbon fiber trim that they recalled twice and still falling apart
Old 03-02-2019, 11:34 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by evilfij
That’s a great idea. Jeep people, like Porsche people, are very brand loyal and some support probably goes a long way.

While I take a dim view of most modern Jeeps, the 4.0 straight six is incredibly reliable and durable. I dragged one out of a driveway with 200k on it that had been sitting for five years (I am a hoarder with a craigslist addiction) and it started right up. Had a bunch of work to get it safe and had to do some welding for rust, but i am pretty sure it will run longer than the new GT3. I have been tempted to get a new wrangler for a while, I will probably jump right before they kill the NA V6 and 6MT. Only real issues are color selection and the rubicon interior is hideous.

Another FCA perk is the lifetime warranty option. For people like me who keep things forever and also who maintain cars by the book or better than is an attractive option.
The new Wranglers are a ton of fun. I don’t mind the interior, but that is because i appreciate not obsessing over every little blemish. I have enough of those cars! It is more than serviceable imo.

Originally Posted by mdrums
JeepCares is the real deal for sure. Rob I’m on that same forum when Imhad my Wrangler. I drive. Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk for my daily driver...I love it. I miss my Wrangler Rubicon though and hanging out with the local Tampa Jeep Krewe club.

Fords new GT500 for 2020 is coming with a sequential transmission and I believe the Chevy Cameron might have one too, I don’t have a left leg to push a clutch so PDK is awesome for me. However I will definitely be looking in the future at those 2 cars for fun weekend and track cars.
Get another one! Perfect stablemate to a GT3.

Originally Posted by jchou38
can't say i had any great service with Jeep...have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, nothing but problems after 3 years/40k miles had to fight for any warranty claims refused to cover anything. Even cut myself on the BS carbon fiber trim that they recalled twice and still falling apart
I would never buy a Jeep for reliability. My dash was wigging out ON THE TEST DRIVE. But it is a toy, so if it has to go back a few times i am okay with that. My reliable vehicle is my Lexus. I count on that.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:52 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
A Porsche-built automobile is superior to a Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep-built automobile in every conceivable way. We all know that. But Jeep does do some things right, and I think Porsche could learn a thing or two from them. The single biggest thing Jeep does right that Porsche is way behind in is after-purchase customer care. Let me explain.

I join this Jeep forum and there is a sponsor on it called JeepCares. Far more than lip service, these people are getting involved with Jeep to make sure people are taken care of. Is your Jeep stuck at the dealer for two weeks waiting for a part to come in? JeepCares gets involved, talking to the dealer and FCA reps at corporate to get things expedited. And people are getting results. I needed a paper manual (Jeep doesn’t come with the full manual), so i PM JeepCares. Two days later it shows up. So having a customer advocate who is proactive on the forums makes a huge difference with regards to perception. Porsche needs this. By not having this presence they lose control of the discussion. Then things spiral out of control, and conspiracy theories start flowing.

I know right now that if i don’t get the service i think i should from my dealer JeepCares is going to start making phone calls. Of course i am probably going to need them since my dash cluster is acting up.

Porsche, get with the program! If Jeep can do this....

Is JeepCares subsidized or a division of the company? What forum is this? Internet Brands one? Would like to check out. The Jeep is becoming more appealing by the minute.

Porcshe would never do this. Isn't in their DNA.

On a side note, take the Macan in for service and get a loaner. Literally 4 miles from the dealership the tire deflates quickly. Dealer calls Porsche roadside because I don't want to mess with a spare with wet and dirty streets and they don't have anyone to send out. Porsche Roadside calls back an hour later and say they don't have anyone available and if we could schedule a a time in the next couple days??!!! I lost it.

I had gotten a ride home by then, but had to deal with losing half a day dealing with this BS. Went and bought a can of fix-a-flat, used that, and filled up the tire with the electric pump and dropped the loaner back off around 2pm. This whole fiasco started at 9am that morning. Half a day lost to BS and a $1K bill for a glorified oil change (whole other subject there). Thanks Porsche.

Dealer has a new service advisor who just started and doesn't seem to know a ton about Porsche's as is (another issue there). Didn't go off on him, but let him know this is unacceptable. They could have at least paid for can of fix-a-flat!! Hope they had fun dealing with the mess of that fixing the flat tire. Knowing them, they probably just topped it off with air and will let it roll.

After dealing with that, came to mind would always be good to have a can of that at all times for emergencies. Especially guys who get stuck in situations with a flat on a 911 and no repairs available nearby.

You also need an electric pump that can plug into your 9V socket to air up the tire. The can won't fill it up with much air.

Last edited by STG; 03-02-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche could learn a thing or two from Jeep