Sponsored by:

DSC module useful for 991.2 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 617 Posts
Default DSC module useful for 991.2 RS?

I used DSC for my 991.1 GT3 and found it made noticeable positive difference, particularly helping the car handle transitions and being less unsettled by curbs at the track. I tried DSC on my .2 Turbo S and the difference was not as significant, almost unnoticeable. Is it that .2 suspension management is good enough stock or maybe it's just less relevant for the Turbo vs. GT3?

Anyway, I wonder if anyone tried DSC for the 991.2 GT3 RS and what the results were.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:22 PM
Dot23RS
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

RWD vs AWD?
Old 02-25-2019, 10:32 PM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

I just subscribed to this.

I have a pending call next week to talk DSC Sport V3 and 991.2 GT3 RS with the folks at TPC Racing/DSC.

I'm aware that they have a tune specific to the 991.2 GT3, but I haven't heard of anything done for the 991.2 GT3 RS.

My plan is to buy the unit, do some testing with the stock box and the DSC box, if I don't see any significant difference, the DSC goes on sale.

I had a DSC in my 991.1 Turbo S. I then updated the tune for the 991.1 GT3 and used it in my 991.1 GT3 RS. On both cars, the DSC made improvements. In the 991.1 Turbo S, it made the car stiffer in the Sport setting (good) and more composed on the Comfort setting (good too).

On my .1 GT3 RS, it made the soft mode a little stiffer, and the stiff mode a little softer but still stiff. I never got to put a faster lap in stiff (sport chassis) compared to Comfort in the .1 GT3 RS, with or without the DSC box.On both cars, the DSC made the cars execute left/right consecutive turns settling quicker, the DSC box made it feel like the cars have lost some weight.

My hesitation with acquiring the DSC V3 for the .2 GT3 RS has to do with the massive difference in spring rates between the .2 GT3 and the .2 GT3 RS, this means that the stock shocks calibration must be different, so I'm not sold on the idea of placing a DSC V3 box with a .2 GT3 shock calibration connected to the .2 GT3 RS shocks/springs.

It would be good to have DSC post in here, as there are thousands of .2 GT3RS already built.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:42 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i would think tom and the tpc/dsc guys need some time to figure out the programming of the box for the .2 rs given the stiiffer spring rates and mounts - will be interesting to see if they manage to develop a product that makes an appreciable difference on the new car...
Old 02-26-2019, 11:40 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Here is what Tom said about using my V2 from my 991.1 GT3/ 981 GT4 with TPC rear toe links, on my new 991.2 RS

“Congrats on the 991.2 RS!
The DSC V2 was designed for 991.1 and 981.1 cars. We can converted the V2 to be electronically compatible on 991.2 but it won't be fully optimized for the .2 dampers. The conversion fee is $250.
It would be be most ideal to get a DSC V3 which is designed for fully optimizing 991.2 generation dampers.
Regards,
Tom”
Old 02-27-2019, 02:53 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 975 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I used DSC for my 991.1 GT3 and found it made noticeable positive difference, particularly helping the car handle transitions and being less unsettled by curbs at the track. I tried DSC on my .2 Turbo S and the difference was not as significant, almost unnoticeable. Is it that .2 suspension management is good enough stock or maybe it's just less relevant for the Turbo vs. GT3?

Anyway, I wonder if anyone tried DSC for the 991.2 GT3 RS and what the results were.
Thank you for your input. We have found that the stock .2 PASM is better than .1 PASM, which we expected it to be.
Question, was the DSC in your .2 Turbo S a V2 or V3 unit?
Another question, did you use the "Turbo" specific Calibration File?

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 02-27-2019, 03:20 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hello all,
I am appreciate all the inputs, comments, and questions about the DSC. Below are a few points I'd like to address. Help this info is helpful.

Calibration:
The performance result is the sum of the generation on the DSC controller and the Calibration File(aka the map or the tune). Mostly the latter. Many of the Calibration Files can be found on the DSC website, link- https://www.dscsport.com/calibration-files/
For example, we tested DSC V3 controller wit TurboV3 Calibraton File is 2.5 sec faster at VIR compared to stock PASM.
There is also a Calibration File that was made for on a GT2RS at Nurburgring and Spa. This file hasn't made it on to the DSC website yet(sorry, we've been running behind on website management), but for use who ordered a new DSC V3 specifying RS during the online checkout process would have gotten this file. This file is good for RS stiffer springs. The file updates are usually announced in DSC newletter. Or can email us any time. info@dscsport.com

Hardware:
The DSC V2 was developed on .1 cars back in 2014. The DSC V3 was developed on .2 cars in 2017. V2 can be electronically converted to work in a .2 by changing the CAN(Control Area Network) protocol to match the .2 generation car. This way the V2 will have control of the dampers and dynamic engine mounts in a .2 car, and allows the user to tune the dampers if he/she desires. However, a V3 will work better in a .2 car because V3 was specially developed to match the improved .2 dampers. Both V2 and V3 have received many praises from users.

Not locked down:
Please keep in mind that the DSC is mostly marketed as a plug & play product, which around 90% of the users enjoy the DSC as, but the DSC is also fully programmable via free DSC software. An analogy would be buying a set of high-end adjustable coilover that have compression and rebound adjuster dials which some users enjoy using the suggested baseline settings while other user can make some adjustments to personal preference.

Ride height sensors:
Last thing, DSC V2 and V3 has "Velocity" tuning feature. That is suspension travel Velocity expressed in inches of travel per second. This awesome function is made possible by the very accurate factory ride height sensors that come on 991/981 cars. By reading each of the four ride height sensor data at 200x per sec DSC command each damper to control Low-Speed, Med-Speed, Hi-Speed Compression and Rebound in real time! This is a suspension guru's dream feature! With that said, for the DSC Velocity function to perform optimally the factory ride height sensors need to be sync'ed(aka zero'ed) to the DSC. We refer to this procedure as Zero Travel. By Zero'ing the sensors DSC then knows the neutral position(zero position) so it can then precisely determine compression and rebound. Now, when I go to tracks to meet a bunch of drivers to take turns demo'ing a DSC do I zero the ride height sensors? The answer is NO. But if you own a DSC and do track days zero'ing the ride height sensors will ensure optimum Velocity function. Velocity is one of many functions that occurs every second of driving with a DSC so having it sync'ed is a good thing, especially on car that are lowered. Lets say for example a car is lowered by 10mm, without zero'ing the ride height sensors the DSC will think all four corners are on compression all the time(this example typically results in softer damping offset to the other functions). The other DSC functions(G-force, braking pressure, throttle, steering, vehicle speed) will still work as intended but one function will possibly offset some of the function's advantages.
Note: V3's Velocity function is faster input-to-output than V2. Even though V2 is slower than V3 its still better than having no Velocity function at all.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:38 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

Tom, I seem to recall a comment being made that a file could be generated that is track specific. If that's true what would it take/cost to do something for a .2 GT3 or 3RS? Road America would be the target.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:41 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I tried DSC on my .2 Turbo S and the difference was not as significant, almost unnoticeable.
I had the DSC module on my .1 Turbo S and also felt as if the difference wasn't quite as significant than when I had it on my .2 GTS with the Tractive DDA dampers. I think it may be because the Turbo S has PDCC which achieves a similar result through the anti-rollbar endlinks engaging during corners (while being mostly disengaged when driving straight). In other words, you were already feeling the benefits of what the DSC module can provide.

The adjustment range of the dampers in the Turbo and Turbo S may also be narrower — I felt that my GTS had a better ride quality and suppleness than my Turbo, but that's pretty subjective
Old 02-27-2019, 05:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Thank you for your input. We have found that the stock .2 PASM is better than .1 PASM, which we expected it to be.
Question, was the DSC in your .2 Turbo S a V2 or V3 unit?
Another question, did you use the "Turbo" specific Calibration File?
The unit in my Turbo was V2 (bought it just a couple of weeks before V3 became available ) and I specified Turbo when I bought it and it has 991.2 Turbo written on it with a sharpie, so I assumed it came with the right calibration file.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:15 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Hello all,
I am appreciate all the inputs, comments, and questions about the DSC. Below are a few points I'd like to address. Help this info is helpful.

Calibration:
The performance result is the sum of the generation on the DSC controller and the Calibration File(aka the map or the tune). Mostly the latter. Many of the Calibration Files can be found on the DSC website, link- https://www.dscsport.com/calibration-files/
For example, we tested DSC V3 controller wit TurboV3 Calibraton File is 2.5 sec faster at VIR compared to stock PASM.
There is also a Calibration File that was made for on a GT2RS at Nurburgring and Spa. This file hasn't made it on to the DSC website yet(sorry, we've been running behind on website management), but for use who ordered a new DSC V3 specifying RS during the online checkout process would have gotten this file. This file is good for RS stiffer springs. The file updates are usually announced in DSC newletter. Or can email us any time. info@dscsport.com
Hi Tom,
I have three 991.2 cars - GT3RS, GT3 Touring, and a Carrera T and wonder if the controller can be swapped between these cars? I see your website is now listing options for FAL and sunroof during the check out process and wonder if I were to order the controller for say the Touring which has the FAL and no sunroof, will I be able to move the controller to the Carrera T which has a sunroof but no FAL? Or will loading a new calibration file fixes the issue?

Second question is I see you mentioned a specific file for the 2RS being available but wonder about 3RS vs. Touring as the two ride so differently in the stock setup? Or will it be just up to the user to fine tune the settings himself?
Old 05-21-2019, 09:41 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bli8
I have three 991.2 cars - GT3RS, GT3 Touring, and a Carrera T and wonder if the controller can be swapped between these cars?
Yes, you can use one 991.2 DSC to swap between the three 991.2 cars that you have if so inclined to.

I see your website is now listing options for FAL and sunroof during the check out process and wonder if I were to order the controller for say the Touring which has the FAL and no sunroof, will I be able to move the controller to the Carrera T which has a sunroof but no FAL?
The short answer is Yes.
Allow me to explain- For every new generation car, the factory engineers tend to add new CAN(Control Area Network)-byte for options such as FAL and sunroof. Even though DSC has nothing to do with controlling the function of FAL and sunroof, it is still a device in the car's control network. As a device in the network it has to "handshake" with other devices in the network to prevent fault messages when these optional features are activated. We have fully resolved the sunroof CAN-byte in all DSC's in 2018, so sunroof fault message is no longer a thing with 991.2 DSC because we embedded the sunroof handshake in every new 991.2 DSC since August 24, 2018. Since we have had the sunroof fix for almost a year this listing shouldn't even be a selection when ordering a new DSC from the DSC website. It is still there because we are slow with making these changes on our website.

We are currently working to resolve the FAL CAN-byte, hope to have resolution around mid-June. We understand that even with DSC improving the suspension and engine mount control it is an annoyance when FAL is activated and the fault message displays. At this time these are the affected cars:
991.2 GT3/RS/GT3 Touring with FAL
991.2 GT2RS with FAL
***All other 991.2 models we have the FAL handshake for.***
***All 991.1 models we have the FAL handshake for.***

Second question is I see you mentioned a specific file for the 2RS being available but wonder about 3RS vs. Touring as the two ride so differently in the stock setup? Or will it be just up to the user to fine tune the settings himself?
We have been using our GT2RS calibration file on 991.1 GT3/RS and 991.2 GT3/RS with great results. The difference in this calibration file is more aggressive front compression and front rebound damping curve.

Typically our standard DSC calibration file has a very wide dynamic command range(i.e. 10% to 100% of the damper's capability). What users have to keep in mind is that a 100% command to a RS damper is stiffer than a 100% command to a Touring damper. This as it is, DSC is still using each model damper's full potential. This brings up a side topic, which is DSC can be used to get the most utility out of the dampers when doing a damper swap from another model.

Also, the different characteristics from different model cars is not always in the dampers alone, it can also be different model PASM controllers programmed to different % commands as the factory engineers see fit for the intended usage of a car model. Here the DSC is the ultimate equalizer.

Hope this info helps.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:52 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 119 Posts

Appreciate the answers Tom. I'll most likely get one controller and try it on all 3 cars, then will most likely get 2 more for the other 2 cars if they work out. I'll most likely wait for the FAL fix to be announced before ordering though.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:18 AM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I hade a DSC Module for my 991.2 GTS and I loved it. However, since my GT3 is specced with the Clubsport Package and has a cage, is it possible to install the module without removing the cage?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:07 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by acey81
I hade a DSC Module for my 991.2 GTS and I loved it.
Glad to hear you loved the DSC in your GTS.

Originally Posted by acey81
However, since my GT3 is specced with the Clubsport Package and has a cage, is it possible to install the module without removing the cage?
I haven't seen a factory Clubsport cage in person here in the US, but we have installed DSC on nearly all brands of aftermarket bolt-in roll bars without having to remove them, some of which are way more access-restrictive than the factory cage.
A small person such as myself can sneak between the seats and install the DSC in 5 to 10 minutes. For a larger person, taking an extra 10 minutes to remove one seat will provide better access to that area.

Here's an image of the factory rear section. The yellow arrow indicates where to lift the carpet for DSC installation. Looks very do-able.

Quick Reply: DSC module useful for 991.2 RS?