Notices

Anyone adding a GT500 to the stable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:18 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Actually I'm pretty sure I read 4,200 lbs somewhere, which does seem like a lot, hard to understand where so much weight is added, but that's the number that was going around recently.
Wow.... if so that's a hippo!
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by jvmax
I thought the GT500 was the 5.2 FPC with supercharger added???
Yes technically but w/o the FPC.... a standard CPC was used instead along with some various internal revisions.

From the Press Release:
  • Arriving this fall, all-new 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 is the most powerful street-legal Ford ever with a supercharged 5.2-liter V8 producing more than 700 horsepower
  • Capable of mid-three-second 0-60 mph and sub-11-second quarter-mile scores, Shelby GT500 features the best Mustang track times, the best cornering and the largest brakes of any domestic sports coupe thanks to tech transfer from Ford GT and Mustang GT4 racing programs; this includes a segment-first dual-clutch transmission
  • Shelby GT500’s aero-led design increases downforce and thermal management, while Ford Performance race-tuned active chassis drive modes make this the most advanced performance Mustang to date
DETROIT, Jan. 14, 2019 – The all-new Shelby GT500 – the pinnacle of any pony car ever engineered by Ford Performance – delivers on its heritage with more than 700 horsepower for the quickest street-legal acceleration and most high-performance technology to date ever offered in a Ford Mustang.

“Carroll was always working on the next faster Shelby, I think he would love this Mustang more than any other,” said Jim Farley, Ford president, global markets. “A takedown artist, the new Shelby GT500 will surprise supercar owners with its Ford Performance racing tech, supercharged engine and visceral swagger.”

Arriving this fall to join its Shelby GT350 stablemate, Shelby GT500 is engineered to attack on all fronts. At the drag strip, it’s set to produce a projected 700-plus horsepower via its first-in-class dual-clutch transmission. At the track, performance improves even more thanks to its race-bred chassis, custom Michelin tires and the largest front brake rotors ever available on an American sports coupe. On the street, its menacing aerodynamic design and Ford Performance driver control technologies make every moment behind the wheel even more exhilarating.

Most powerful Ford production car ever
In the process of making the all-new Shelby GT500 the quickest street-legal Mustang ever, Ford Performance created an exclusive powertrain to deliver new levels of power and torque.

“With its supercar-level powertrain, the all-new Shelby GT500 takes the sixth-generation Mustang to a performance level once reserved only for exotics,” said Hermann Salenbauch, global director, Ford Performance vehicle programs. “As a Mustang, it has to be attainable and punch above its weight. To that end, we’ve set a new standard among American performance cars with our most powerful street-legal V8 engine to date, plus the quickest-shifting transmission ever in a Mustang for all-out precision and speed.”

Shelby GT500 starts with a supercharged 5.2-liter aluminum alloy engine built by hand. To keep the intake air cooler and deliver a lower center of gravity, the team inverted a 2.65-liter roots-type supercharger with air-to-liquid intercooler tucked neatly in the V8 engine valley.

Like Shelby GT350, the aluminum alloy block features weight-saving wire-arc cylinder liners and high-flow aluminum cylinder heads, plus larger forged connecting rods, improved lubrication and cooling passages. Beneath that, a structural oil pan adds strength, reduces vibration, and features a patented active baffle system to keep oil where it’s needed.

To channel power and torque to the unique carbon fiber driveshaft, Ford Performance leveraged learnings from the tuning of its Ford GT supercar’s dual-clutch transmission. The team selected a TREMEC® 7-speed dual-clutch transmission, which is capable of shifts in under 100 milliseconds – markedly faster than any manual gearbox. This dual-clutch transmission is designed for a number of drive modes, including normal, weather, sport, drag and track, and activates features like line-lock and launch control through selectable Track Apps.

Next-evolution Mustang performance bred from Ford GT and Mustang GT4
To harness the power and torque of the most powerful Mustang ever made for the street requires cutting-edge active chassis technology, track-bred Michelin tires and Brembo® brakes – all dialed in by Ford Performance.

Shelby GT500 takes advantage of revised suspension geometry, a new electronic power steering unit and lighter-weight coil springs front and rear. Next-generation active MagneRide™ suspension is baked-in, along with the latest in advanced drive mode technologies from Ford Performance. The payoff is the highest-ever lateral acceleration from a Mustang for greater track performance and driver control.

Putting all this chassis hardware to the pavement, custom Ford Performance-spec Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and more aggressive Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires feature unique compounds and tread. To provide track-ready stopping power, massive 16-5-inch (420-millimeter) two-piece rotors are added – the largest of any domestic sports coupe – plus larger, stiffer Brembo six-piston calipers. With 20 percent more swept area than the Shelby GT350’s, these brakes have more than 30 percent additional thermal mass in the front corners.

Two handling packages with increasing levels capability are offered for the all-new Shelby GT500. An available Handling Package includes adjustable strut top mounts and spoiler with Gurney flap. For the truly hardcore, an available Carbon Fiber Track Package features exposed 20-inch carbon fiber wheels with 0.5-inch-wider rear wheels (11.5-inch), custom Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, adjustable exposed carbon fiber GT4 track wing and splitter wickers with integrated dive plane. The rear seat is deleted to reduce weight.

A functional, menacing design tuned with Ford Performance know-how
Thanks to a cross-functional team of designers, Ford Performance engineers and motorsports collaborators, the 2020 Shelby GT500 has functional track-hero looks to match its performance capabilities.

“With a double front grille opening and 50 percent more cooling pack airflow versus the Shelby GT350, along with the most advanced aero components and downforce we’ve ever offered, every millimeter of Shelby GT500’s fastback design is aimed at improving performance,” said Melvin Betancourt, Ford design manager.

Those large angular grille openings and muscular hood combine for a menacing, aerodynamic-led design inspired by modern fighter jet aircraft. The car’s wider front fenders and stance housing Shelby GT500-specific 20x11-inch wheels proportionally align to its rear fenders that hug up to 20x11.5-inch wheels. A standard new rear spoiler and updated composite materials in the rear diffuser result in added thermal management.

The team leveraged Ford’s motorsports technical center in North Carolina and its windshear rolling wind tunnel – where top-tier racing teams test – to perfect the design of the Shelby GT500. Front fascia openings are more than doubled versus the Shelby GT350, while six heat exchangers are stuffed in to increase cooling pack airflow by more than 50 percent. A massive 31x28-inch louvered hood vent features a removable aluminum rain tray for better air extraction and increased downforce.

More craftsmanship, technology and driver comfort
Shelby GT500’s purpose-built cockpit boasts race-inspired premium materials and unique finishes worthy of its world-class power. Premium touchpoints include an available exposed carbon fiber instrument panel appliqué and new door panel inserts in Dark Slate Miko® suede with accent stitching. Available Recaro racing seats with firm side bolstering and pass-throughs for safety harnesses offer the highest level of performance. For those looking for even greater comfort, power-adjustable seating with Miko suede inserts is offered.

The all-new Shelby GT500 picks up a 12-inch full-color LCD instrument cluster, while a high-performance custom-tuned 12-speaker B&O® Play premium audio system is available. All of this is controlled via an 8-inch SYNC® 3 touch screen featuring SiriusXM and FordPass Connect™.

New colors for 2020 include Red Hot, Twister Orange and Iconic Silver. Painted stripes are available for the all-new Shelby GT500 too.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:26 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think they look great and would love to get one. Ford dealers though, like Porsche, play games and will add ADM so I'll be out until they settle down.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:21 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I feel like the hellcat and demon ate a bit of the gt500's lunch. Yes it will probably handle much better than a Challenger but it doesn't really want to be a road course car, it's got drag strip and straight line pulls written all over it, and to that end 750hp is second-tier power these days.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:41 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Pass. Ford hit a home run with the 350R, but I think the new GT500 is pretty disappointing.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by RossP
Pass. Ford hit a home run with the 350R, but I think the new GT500 is pretty disappointing.
I think sentiments will change if Ford posts video of very fast laps (well faster than ZL1, fast Vettes, some fast 911's, for example)...
Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Extremely heavy car, not sure of the true performance potential with even that much power. And yes, I own a 2017 GT with the performance pack.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:50 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 731 Posts

On a list to get one. I'm probably 65% likely to decide in favour of getting it. Can't decide on the lack of manual though. I enjoy it in my GT350. Definitely don't like the dial for a shifter in the GT500...doesn't fit the car at all. Not sure how they thought that would be awesome.

What do people think pricing will look like? I'm guessing $100K+ CAD.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Want to see it in person, but I am big fan so far. I was worried Ford was going to leave the GT350R as the road course/track weapon and make the gt500 the hellcat/drag strip special. Glad they didnt. I'd love to try one on track. But, hopefully the weight predictions are way off. This thing needs to be under 3800 lbs. I had a GT350R, and enjoyed it. But, I was constantly trying to take weight out of it (lithium battery, carbon good etc). If the weight isnt too much, running hoosiers on this thing would surely be a blast

My guess is the MSRP will be $85k for the carbon package. ADM's for a while, but will taper off just like the GT350R did
Old 01-15-2019, 10:18 PM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 116 Posts

On the list to get one

-Dave
Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Good article on interesting bits...didn't know the shifters are made from magnesium! Cool But why!

https://jalopnik.com/twelve-badass-d...y-g-1831773583
Old 01-15-2019, 11:31 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Absolutely. No. Interest.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:39 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Good article on interesting bits...didn't know the shifters are made from magnesium! Cool But why!

The raptor has the same ones. They do feel nice. I'd never trade my gt350r for the 500. I love the engine/transmission combo too much in mine. I get my manual fix in the 350r.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:48 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto

good find - I am also pleased to hear they went with the DCT and not a re-hashed auto from the other models....probably wont compare to pdk-s, but what does
Old 01-15-2019, 11:55 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jpacione
The raptor has the same ones. They do feel nice. I'd never trade my gt350r for the 500. I love the engine/transmission combo too much in mine. I get my manual fix in the 350r.
I enjoy the manual in my 350, would have been nice if they had it in the 500 as an option for consideration. I'm not incredibly fussed about a DCT for the 500. I can get behind it. What about that shift dial though?

I like supercharger whine...hard to hear in the promo videos thus far.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:58 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911therapy
good find - I am also pleased to hear they went with the DCT and not a re-hashed auto from the other models....probably wont compare to pdk-s, but what does
Yeah...I mean rumour was the 10-spd.

They mention shifts in 100 milliseconds. How fast does PDK-S shift?

Quick Reply: Anyone adding a GT500 to the stable?