Sponsored by:

Does the GT3 have soul?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:27 PM
Kevin in Scottsdale
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Does the GT3 have soul?

Strange question, but it's a thing for me. Looking at purchasing this car but I have not driven one. I've had cars in the past that have soul and some that don't. My first car that had soul was a 1972 Fiat Spider. It vibrated, gauges were jumpy, raspy exhaust, smelled like burning oil and cracked leather (actually did not break down that much haha), but man did it have soul. You just felt alive in that car. It communicated and you felt like you were apart of it. I had an '87 Carrera - that car had soul. I had a BMW M4, that thing was a rocket and made you feel alive driving it to the limits. I currently have a 2015 GTS. Drive it like it's meant to be, a few autocrosses, couple of track days. However, not much soul for me. I don't know what it is, it just feels . . . ok. In case someone chimes in about PDK v. Manual, the GTS is PDK but my M4 was dual clutch also. What I really liked about the M4 was instant torque and power. The wind up of rpm's in the GTS sounds great, but you're traveling pretty fast to get there. Am I spoiled with the rush of instant torque in a dual turbo M4? Not sure. It's also not about speed, I also have a Range Rover Sport with the supercharged V8 - that boat definitely has soul - just makes you smile and sounds like a muscle car.

The point of this post is that the GT3 is a big step up financially. Is it really that good? That much better than a GTS? Does it just make you grin ear to ear when you drive it? Does it have soul or do we just say it does because there is a little group think here and we want to have affirmation of our purchase?

Thanks for comments.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

It is really that good. Very expensive and worth every penny. But it will ruin you when it comes to almost any car out there. Go drive it first, then come back and gush to us how amazing it is. That is almost always what happens.

Porsche. There is no substitute.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:39 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 15 c4 gts and had a 14 gt3. Currently have a 16 gt3rs. The gt cars, to me, are like totally different cars. Definitely have soul. But limits are very high for the street.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:49 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The ancient philosophers thought the heart was the residence of the human soul. The heart of the GT3 is that 4L which has soul in abundance.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:50 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

GT3/RS=soul

GTS= no soul, boring turbo appliance only
Old 11-27-2018, 12:04 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 428 Posts

GT cars have soul, but can only be appreciated at speeds which are highly illegal and dangerous on public roads. Drive them on the track and they are pure magic and soul stirring; around town, meh...not so much, no different then any other NA Porsche, except more uncomfortable!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:09 AM
Dr. Z
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

This car definitely has “soul”. I have owned several different P cars....everything from 944 to air cooled to modern ones. When I purchased my 997.2 turbo I thought that would be the last. Then out came the GT3 Touring....I was offered an allocation and I ordered it. I have had the car for about two weeks...which is not very long...but this GT3 reminds of a “modern” air cooled variant. It sounds very mechanical with a high pitched engine sound that reminds me of my 81 911SC.....it is so very smooth like my 91 964....the power band is very linear with an almost instant response.....it is literally planted in the twisties.....
I think that this GT3 is an excellent combination of what most of us like about Porsche....
Do not drive one if you do not want to buy one....you will be hooked....
Old 11-27-2018, 12:13 AM
Dr. Z
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
GT cars have soul, but can only be appreciated at speeds which are highly illegal and dangerous on public roads. Drive them on the track and they are pure magic and soul stirring; around town, meh...not so much, no different then any other NA Porsche, except more uncomfortable!
My GT3 Touring is very comfortable....I would agree that the more you push the car the better it is...but one can certainly enjoy these modern GT cars on the street as well as the track....
Old 11-27-2018, 12:24 AM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

Absolutely. Like you, I don't think a car needs to be fast to have soul. My first car was a '73 VW Fastback and it had soul in it's simplicity.

Here's a few reasons the GT3 has soul for me:

- the way the engine changes it's sound as it climbs thru the incredible rev range
- how perfectly the clutch/throttle/shifter work together. I've never driven one, but I'm sure the PDK has it's own soul.
- how the steering perfectly communicates very move
- how I know exactly where every tire patch is on the road
- the way the back end steps out with a bit too much throttle
- how you can catch the rear end when it steps out
- the way the engine sound like an air cooled 911 more than any other water cooled 911 I've driven
- the way I always look forward to getting behind the wheel of the car

I'm sure many can ad to this list...
Old 11-27-2018, 12:31 AM
wishman44
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a '15 GTS as well. Just sold that and I've been in a '18 GT3 for about a month. Also have a '17 M3 so probably can give you a good comparison.

The GTS is a great all around car. The main issue I had is I think yours as well. Just not any low end grunt and engine didn't really rev very easily (compared to my 997.2 GTS which had less power but seemed like a more free rev'ing car). Once you get the 991.1 GTS above 4K it's wonderful. It was a great track car, and if you are doing some spirited driving where you are keeping it higher in the revs, it will be a fantastic drive. But more of a bore around town, and I enjoyed driving the M3 around town more than the GTS. While the GT3 isn't as practical as a daily driver as an M3 or GTS (firmer ride, less visibility, no back seats, etc), it really is leaps ahead of both the M3 the GTS. The GT3 Engine is amazing the way it revs. I think its a great drive around town as you have plenty of power down low, but then once you rev it up, it becomes and intoxicating experience. Steering and chassis is also significantly better in the GT3.

Go to exotics racing in Vegas or PECLA and drive the GT3. I think in 15 minutes of a spirited drive (even with their short tracks), you'll make the same decision I did to upgrade the GTS to a GT3.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:35 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 428 Posts

Cars don't need to be fast to have soul, I have owned several and currently have a few I enjoy that put a smile on my face at slow speeds, but I can say personally for me what makes an RS or GT3 shine is how the engine wails...how that car grips on tight turns at speeds...the raw noises and sensations its transmits through the steering, through to seat of my pants... none of this can be achieved legally or safely around town. The magic happens at higher speeds when the rpms are over 6k. GT cars are absolutely soul stirring, everyone should have one if they love cars.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:05 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Datsun 240Z had soul. I was 17 though walking around with a permanent woody, so a bowl of Lucky Charms had soul...

Nissan 4x4 pickup truck (4 cylinder) had soul. It got me through college and many years of slog/training, etc. Many stories in that truck.

Porsche 993 had soul. That was a great car to just drive around in at regular speeds.

991.2 GT3 has soul. Very intense car, probably the best/most capable car I'll ever own. I would agree that I may not fully realize the full extent of this thing until I take it to a track.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:39 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

If you think an m3/m4 has soul - the GT3 will blow you away.

Since 2010 I've had several GT cars. When the new M3 came out with the turbo, I tried to "be smart" and bought it for a daily driver.

It lasted 2.5 weeks. Coming from just about any GT car - M3 feels heavy, sounds terrible, has turbo lag, never gets emotions running. Instantly got rid of it, and daily drove a 16 GT3 instead. The last good M car was E46 M3 in my opinion.

I would recommend a 997.2 GT3 for you. Plenty of performance, best drivetrain ever made, and tons of soul.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:47 AM
Kevin in Scottsdale
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts

Great response with my comparison cars too! Is your GT3 manual or PDK? Is the low end torque comparable to the power delivered by the M3? I definitely will find an opportunity to drive one before I make the final commitment. Thanks for the comments. Very helpful.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:50 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Low end torque is not the the GT3 strong point. If that is a 'must have' perhaps this isn't a good match

Quick Reply: Does the GT3 have soul?