Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the GT3 have soul?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:11 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 85 Posts

If you like m4 with turbos with low end grunt around town, may be turbo/turbo S is the right choice for you
Old 11-27-2018, 02:13 AM
wishman44
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My M3, GTS, and GT3 were all DCT/PDK. I think the low end torque is comparable to the M3 but certainly in a much more controlled fashion. I'll somewhat agree with eztrader that the low end torque isn't the GT3s strongest point and that its not going to compare against a 991 Turbo or AMG GTR. But there is a significant difference compared to a 991.1 GTS, and I think what you find lacking in the GTS will be absolutely addressed in the GT3.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:11 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 92 Posts

You want to feel and hear some soul? Take it up through a couple of upshifts on full throttle down a straightaway get on brakes hard for the turn as the PDK downshifts multiplegears (in auto or manual) hit the apex as you get back on full throttle and repeat over an over. You will come away shaking your head in disbelief at how much soul a gt Porsche has.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:55 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 20 Posts

It definitely has soul, and you don’t have to be going blisteringly fast to appreciate it. The engine noise that fills the cabin, especially as you let it wind down is unparalleled. There is a buzz that comes through the chassis that makes the car feel as though it is talking to you. The quirky 911 bouncy handling makes you adapt to the car, not the other way round.
Amazing car!
As much fun to drive as my Ferrari 458 Speciale, 16M, 458 Spider, or F12!
Old 11-27-2018, 08:50 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 65 Posts

My winged and manual gt3 has tons of soul.... I m using it more often that I thought.... And every time is such a enjoying experience ...
Old 11-27-2018, 09:02 AM
2006m5
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you like turbo and supercharged cars...this car doesn't heavy tourque.
but I'm keeping mine and I'm first time Porsche owner.
I feel this car is very noisy and mechanical and still feels very good.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:22 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Doesn't have what I would consider soul. It's an interesting character but it's more superficial and less soulful. Very fast appliance with a great engine, but to me for a car to have soul it needs to bite you back and be more playful and unique to have a real personaility. 991 just doesn't have it in my opinion.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:37 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Manual cars have soul, automatics none.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:01 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 410 Posts

Flame suit on... If you are looking for a car that's fun, fun on the streets and track, do yourself a favor and go drive a GT4. It's a car in which much more of it is accessible in everyday driving. Since you've already conceded the back seats in a GT3, no loss there.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:08 AM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 54 Posts

If you are considering PDK, I personally feel the .1 GT3 has more soul than the .2 GT3. When sitting at idle, the rumble, clanking, etc... made the .1 feel raw and unrefined, in a good way. As much as I love the MT in my .2, it feels a bit more subdued to me, plus the clutch is too light. My 991 2RS feels like it has more soul than the .2 GT3, even with the PDK vs. MT. I do love the 4.0 NA engine paired up with the 6-speed, but the car lost some of its rawness going from the .1 to .2. I'm sure most don't share my opinion, so I suggest you jump in a few variants and decide for yourself.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:18 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Above pic was my previous M4. Agree with RL members, if you enjoy the "turbo" feel/low end torque, then GT3 is not for you. You need to keep the Rev range at least above 4k to really wake up the beast, but everything else (steering/engine/braking) is exceptional and beyond expectations.
Jack
Old 11-27-2018, 10:29 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Doesn't have what I would consider soul. It's an interesting character but it's more superficial and less soulful. Very fast appliance with a great engine, but to me for a car to have soul it needs to bite you back and be more playful and unique to have a real personaility. 991 just doesn't have it in my opinion.
Just put skinnier tires in the rear lol. But seriously, I think you have a more developed car palate than most.

Even though the 991.2 GT3 is more refined than previous GT3 gens, I do think it has soul (not bland or boring). The way it handles and connects to the road, the sounds it makes(at idle, cold start, and differences at 4k or 9k rpms), the instant throttle response and differences depending on rpm range, the unique sound at wot with the right exhaust (has a lot of presence with an exhaust system like Dundon race headers), the light weight, how comfortable it makes you feel around fast corners (but in the back of you mind you know that if you lift or make a mistake it will snap and end up on a wall), but perhaps the best part it the consistency (depending on wear and tear items, but properly maintained, the car performs the same at peak no matter how many laps, fast acceleration pulls, etc. No heat soak, steering issues, or temperature problems). Its often bulletproof. For anyone coming from an M or AMG, its a big step forward (other than lower torque, not a problem for me as I never drive under 5k rpm and the instant throttle response is there). Only thing missing on a GT3 is the high pitched engine sound of a CGT and it would be better than perfect. Maybe all those things I mention are soul, or perhaps character or personality, but definitely a combination not easily found in many cars (unless they cost 3 to 10 times as much), and still has relatively low maintenance cost.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:50 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by fibredog
If you are considering PDK, I personally feel the .1 GT3 has more soul than the .2 GT3. When sitting at idle, the rumble, clanking, etc... made the .1 feel raw and unrefined, in a good way. As much as I love the MT in my .2, it feels a bit more subdued to me, plus the clutch is too light. My 991 2RS feels like it has more soul than the .2 GT3, even with the PDK vs. MT. I do love the 4.0 NA engine paired up with the 6-speed, but the car lost some of its rawness going from the .1 to .2. I'm sure most don't share my opinion, so I suggest you jump in a few variants and decide for yourself.
very good observation, having owned them all I felt the exact same way. wish I had my PTS 991.1 GT3 back
Old 11-27-2018, 11:06 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

No... The driver has soul, the GT3 sets if free
Old 11-27-2018, 11:11 AM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fibredog
Interesting to hear this perspective. The rough idle and clanking in the transmission is what I love about my .1. Have also heard people say the sound in the .1 is more high pitched than the .2. Will need to drive a .2 to see for myself...

Quick Reply: Does the GT3 have soul?