Sponsored by:

Extended Range Fuel Tank Counter Argument

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:29 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
LOL! No, Peter, the new 4.0L is not magically more efficient. My experience is the same as yours. Thunderhill guzzles the most fuel of all the tracks, laguna is close, and Sonoma uses the least. If I have a tank that is at the 1/2 way marker, it will be just shy of the red markings by the end of one 20 minute session at Thill. This was on both the .1 and .2 GT3.

FourT6and2, what lap time were you getting on what config at Thill? If above 2:00, that would probably explain the discrepancy.
No idea on lap times, I was focused on simply learning the track and having fun. And maybe they were ending our sessions early instead of giving us a full 20 minutes? I seem to remember getting in 5-6 laps per session. But I doubt I was doing a consistent sub-2:00 lap since I'm just starting out. This was 3-mile track.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I don't understand the fuel per hour or MPG use?
Is the new 4.0 so much more fuel efficient or are you driving slow tracks?

I can not run one hour on a 23Gal tank, it would be about 90-100 miles at Sebring.

Fast track and maybe more WOT then most tracks and there is the limp mode with a 1/4 tank left, 25Miles DTE would in theory be another 10 laps / 20 minutes till really dry, if it didn't do the limp mode thing.
But still I fill up 19/20 Gallons after two 25/30 minute session of about 80/90 miles.

I don't think there is any track where I can do 3 25 minute sessions....
I know someone who winters in Sebring and who knows you, Peter. Here's a clue: he's an old fart that drives a Miami Blue GT3 with orange decals, and is a die hard Gator fan. He say's you are one fast MF. LOL. Probably explains why you and Joe guzzle all that gas. OTOH, I'm no slow poke either, and can keep up with the GT3s in the advanced high HP group at Watkins, including that MIami Blue one, to get the 3.3 min/gal I calculated. I guess that means that to explain the discrepancy we are down to the track type and driving skill. And I accept the fact that you and Orthojoe are fast MF'ers, and should get a tank even bigger than the extended tank!

Last edited by Palting; 09-17-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
No idea on lap times, I was focused on simply learning the track and having fun. And maybe they were ending our sessions early instead of giving us a full 20 minutes? I seem to remember getting in 5-6 laps per session. But I doubt I was doing a consistent sub-2:00 lap since I'm just starting out. This was 3-mile track.
If you are not advanced yet, new car / new track then that can explain a lot as well, of course.
Its always hard to know where everyone is on the learning curve online

Originally Posted by Palting
I know someone who winters in Sebring and who knows you, Peter. Here's a clue: he's an old fart that drives a Miami Blue GT3 with orange decals, and is a die hard Gator fan. He say's you are one fast MF. LOL. Probably explains why you and Joe guzzle all that gas. OTOH, I'm no slow poke either, and can keep up with the GT3s in the advanced high HP group at Watkins, including that MIami Blue one, to get the 3.3 min/gal I calculated. I guess that means that to explain the discrepancy we are down to the track type and driving skill. And I accept the fact that you and Orthojoe are fast MF'ers, and should get a tank even bigger than the extended tank!
I really like that old fart, fast and we're surprisingly on the same page often.
Fast at Sebring OK, I will take that :-) At your speeds, beating old fart at WG is also a lot of full throttle?

Might be one of those exponential things, fast driver, fast track? Huge difference though..

Old 09-17-2018, 06:08 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The option for the 991.1 was a free option, which I added. With the .1 I drove it to track, work, out to dinner... 25,000 miles later I traded it in for the .2, added the option for the .2. Worth it.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:54 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Smart to not time yourself when you are first starting. It is very humbling when you do start to time, though. We've all been there. If you have any video, clock it. I think you'll be surprised what on you actually did. Based on your fuel consumption you aren't even close to 2:00 yet.

Quick Reply: Extended Range Fuel Tank Counter Argument