anonymous 991.1 GT3RS - Paint correction, PPF, and nano coating

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018 | 05:48 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thumbs up anonymous 991.1 GT3RS - Paint correction, PPF, and nano coating

From time to time, we get a project that a client is less than pleased with when work is done by another shop. This project, is a beautiful Lava Orange RS that the dealership had a vendor install a full ppf and paint correction and gave the client a killer "deal". Once client took delivery, to say he was less-than-pleased, would be an understatement.

We assessed the work and initially were going to replace a few panels just so further expense wasn't incurred. Upon our evaluation, we noticed too many areas with inconsistent edges of ppf, lots of random rock chips that were simply clear brasd over and not proiperly touched-up, and upon removl of the ppf, the paint wasn't even corrected.

Client wanted to do the right thing for the vehicle and didn't want the new owner to ever have to deal with these issue should there ever be a time to sell the RS.

So, we made the decision to remove all the ppf, do a p[roper paint correction, new ppf installation, and nano coating...a final product our client is accustomed to receiving from GP.

Really fun project and glad everything worked out in the end

Initial Condition

Edges of film didn't quite get wrapped around corners

Edges of seams visible and already collecting dirt

Razor cut marks in paint

Swirls and scratches still on paint

Paint correction and chip touch ups

Paint correction complete and pre-prep for PPF installtion

Various paint chips touched up and razor cut marks noticeably reduced or eliminated safely without going through the original paint

PPF Installation

On many of our projects, we use software patterns from XPEL, called DAP. Currently, DAP is the most advanced, accurate, and expensive software used in the industry.

We use DAP pattern as a foundation. We spend hours manipulating the patterns to give us as close of an installation to a custom installation as possible. All this is achieved with the least amount of cuts that need to be made by hand, and if a section needs replacing down the road, it can simply be reprinted and reinstalled...this makes for a consistent product

Roof was custom installation

We ALWAYS protect the headlights and have not had any delamination issues on any 991 headlight. It's a very difficult installation and installer skill and comfort level needs to be of highest priority

We ALWAYS replaced emblems or decals with OEM replacement. On occasions, we will use aftermarket decals, such as GT3RS side decals, per client reuqest

Final results

Hope you enjoyed seeing the transformation and the amount passion and technical know-how it requires to fix a project like this. Seeking the right installer is so crucial in the beginning and sometimes, a "deal" may not be what you bargained for.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-24-2018 | 07:00 PM
NBoost
Pro

What did you coat it with? Modesta?
Old 08-24-2018 | 07:08 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NBoost
What did you coat it with? Modesta?
CQuartz Finest Reserve

Last edited by MoeMistry; 08-24-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2018 | 08:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Nice job once again Moe. So sad to see these hack jobs.

What did you repair the chips with? Dr. Colorchip?

With a full car PPF, where do you have seams?

You'd think they would make wider rolls if seams are still necessary?
Old 08-24-2018 | 08:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Also, few more ...

Solid uni colors harder to correct than metallics I assume?

Noticed any differences in Porsche paint hardness over the years? Assume when they went water based?

I've read that Porsche paint lately is in pretty bad shape. Have you seen this only on the .2's?
Old 08-24-2018 | 08:45 PM
bammb
Advanced

Looks great now. What causes noticeable dirt build up on the edges? I've heard it's from not sealing the edges properly upon completion. Is that correct?
Old 08-24-2018 | 09:02 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Amazing work. Thanks for showing us how an elite installer such as you does it.

I'm also curious on what you use to fill in the chips.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2018 | 09:17 PM
Gasman85
Rennlist Member

Really great work! If the owner doesn’t mind, would you share what the cost of this job was or range for this type of repair and reinstall? How long did it take you guys start to finish?
Old 08-24-2018 | 10:39 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Nice, looks like who ever started this first did it by template?
Old 08-24-2018 | 11:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gh0st0

They must be legally blind too
Old 08-24-2018 | 11:12 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Well unless you ask for rolled edges you’ll get the template which looks like what was done here. That is ok for most people as it covers the trouble spots, but I couldn’t stand for it knowing it didn’t cover everything
Old 08-25-2018 | 02:26 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by STG
Nice job once again Moe. So sad to see these hack jobs.

What did you repair the chips with? Dr. Colorchip?

With a full car PPF, where do you have seams?

You'd think they would make wider rolls if seams are still necessary?
Thanks!!!

This is why when i get sales calls, and can tell caller is shopping around, I cringe at the results he/she seeking based on price and perceived quality.

I used factory porsche touch up paint and years of detailing experience touch ups come out great with solid colors, opposed to metallics

The only seams on this project was the front bumper...since client did custom doors, no seams there, but normally a seam above mirror stalk

I believe manufacturers are working on a 72" roll, but it wouldn't help on this project. Macan hood, that would be helpful to have larger roll so film isn't stretched so much and thinned out when doing a custom hood

Originally Posted by STG
Also, few more ...

Solid uni colors harder to correct than metallics I assume?

Noticed any differences in Porsche paint hardness over the years? Assume when they went water based?

I've read that Porsche paint lately is in pretty bad shape. Have you seen this only on the .2's?
For us, correction is the same whether solid or metallic...it's just easier to see on solid colors...end result will always be the same for us

Yes...porsche paint has gotten considerably softer over the past decade

Lots of factory sand marks on GT cars, and overall, a slight decline in quality from the past. However, almost EVERY car we work on now, whether a Porsche, Tesla, or a $5M Ferrari La Ferrari...all of them have much to be desired at that price point when it comes to paint

Originally Posted by bammb
Looks great now. What causes noticeable dirt build up on the edges? I've heard it's from not sealing the edges properly upon completion. Is that correct?
Edges have adhesive exposed and if not washed or cared for, that why you see the build up of dirt. Exposed edges cannot ALWAYS be avoided, but as you can see, installer can definitely minimize the exposed edges by wrapping them. A little known fact...wrapping edges adds almost 50% more labor

Originally Posted by JPMD
Amazing work. Thanks for showing us how an elite installer such as you does it.

I'm also curious on what you use to fill in the chips.

Thanks!
Thank you Sir...when a group of passionate, and skilled, team get an opportunity to "heal" a project like this, it's truly magic.

Factory OEM touch up paint, let cure, sand, polish

Originally Posted by Gasman85
Really great work! If the owner doesn’t mind, would you share what the cost of this job was or range for this type of repair and reinstall? How long did it take you guys start to finish?
Took us about 2-3 weeks, I think.

As for price, less than painting the whole car...objective wasn't cost after we got past a certain point...it was to maintain originality and integrity. It's easy to just start repainting and make it go away...but it loses the charm.

Yes...this was a pattern, so was ours. Hopefully this project clearly shows the two gamuts of pattern customization and installer experience

ell unless you ask for rolled edges you’ll get the template which looks like what was done here. That is ok for most people as it covers the trouble spots, but I couldn’t stand for it knowing it didn’t cover everything
He DID ask for wrapped edges...IMHO, this shouldn't be OK for any car...you WILL end up redoing the whole thing in a few years...that's definitively not a good VALUE
Old 08-27-2018 | 04:17 PM
KCROO
Rennlist Member

This is my lava RS that Moe and GP crew fixed. This is a second car they fully corrected and wrapped and I wouldn't trust anyone else to work on my car but GP after this expensive lesson. I made a huge mistake of trying to save time and few bucks going with Jim Ellis Porsche of Atlanta's dealer installer Shine Auto in Alpharetta. Long story short, DO NOT cheap out or save little time, you're paying for skill set of a few elite installer can achieve and imo Moe/GP are best of best nationwide.
Old 08-27-2018 | 07:58 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KCROO
This is my lava RS that Moe and GP crew fixed. This is a second car they fully corrected and wrapped and I wouldn't trust anyone else to work on my car but GP after this expensive lesson. I made a huge mistake of trying to save time and few bucks going with Jim Ellis Porsche of Atlanta's dealer installer Shine Auto in Alpharetta. Long story short, DO NOT cheap out or save little time, you're paying for skill set of a few elite installer can achieve and imo Moe/GP are best of best nationwide.
You did good picking Moe. And, it's not just having him do the project in the first place which is what you'll do with your future cars. You'll also find that the inevitable need for after service maintenance over the following years is a part of what separates Moe's work from the others. GP isn't for every car, but for those cars where you want the best product and service, Moe is your man.

Dan (seldom promotes a vendor but makes an exception for Moe)
Old 08-27-2018 | 09:38 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hfm
You did good picking Moe. And, it's not just having him do the project in the first place which is what you'll do with your future cars. You'll also find that the inevitable need for after service maintenance over the following years is a part of what separates Moe's work from the others. GP isn't for every car, but for those cars where you want the best product and service, Moe is your man.

Dan (seldom promotes a vendor but makes an exception for Moe)
x2

I am "new" to Moe & GP but I got full front clip, rockers, window tint, ceramic coating on everything including wheels, even OEM windshield replacement for my GT3 a month ago. Very very happy with how everything turned out, I'm a happy GP client and I am sure when it comes time to follow up and after service maintenance, I'm sure the experience will be the same. The biggest thing is that I feel like my car is cared for with someone as detail oriented as I am, if not more! From the jump I knew I wanted Moe/GP to take care of my car, as it was never an issue of price but value for me and that is where he shines IMO. Also I appreciated that he didn't just try to sell me on everything, but worked with me to create the right package based on my needs and even suggested taking out certain things I had inquired about/added on. Thanks Moe!!

Quick Reply: anonymous 991.1 GT3RS - Paint correction, PPF, and nano coating