Sponsored by:

Subwoofer Enclosure in Passenger Footwell

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 02:08 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Subwoofer Enclosure in Passenger Footwell

Has anyone fitted a sub in the footwell other than Matt of Obsessed Garage? Matts videos are awesome but a fe quests have passed and I am wondering if a better option might be available.

If so make and opinions?

I am looking for a good quality sub that isn’t too deep.

will post pics of end results.

this likely for the touring.

thanks
Old 08-17-2018, 03:23 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,381 Likes on 637 Posts

I'm not sure this is a good idea at all
Old 08-17-2018, 03:32 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The factory Bose footwell ones in the 997, perhaps would fit the 991 space?
Old 08-17-2018, 04:17 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Thanks for chiming in C.J. How come? Do you mean for safety, increasing weight?

Before being fitted in the footwell
Old 08-17-2018, 04:18 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fbroen
The factory Bose footwell ones in the 997, perhaps would fit the 991 space?
I don’t even know where the Bose sub is. It might even be there in the 991.2.

any pics?
Old 08-17-2018, 05:51 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

I don’t even know where the Bose sub is. It might even be there in the 991.2.

any pics?
Factory subwoofer in the 991 is in the driver's side sub dash panel. Horrible location that sounds like garbage. My best guess is that it was primarily a marketing ploy. "Upgrade to the Bose option, it has a subwoofer!"

The footwell enclosure is an "okay" concept, but it definitely sacrifices some useful legroom for your passenger. What are your other plans for the upgrade? Are you just trying to add bass or are you looking for better sound overall including more bass? If you're not a hip-hop or EDM junkie you can get really great bass out of a set of upgraded door woofers with the right power behind them. Otherwise you could always utilize the rear package tray for a decent subwoofer with a custom enclosure. Here are a couple threads for reference:

Using door woofers for low bass response: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...che-gt3rs.html

Custom enclosure on package tray: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9306...eam-991-a.html

Happy to help you design something fitting, just need a bit of clarity on your goals for the upgrade.

Nick
Old 08-17-2018, 06:20 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Factory subwoofer in the 991 is in the driver's side sub dash panel. Horrible location that sounds like garbage. My best guess is that it was primarily a marketing ploy. "Upgrade to the Bose option, it has a subwoofer!"

The footwell enclosure is an "okay" concept, but it definitely sacrifices some useful legroom for your passenger. What are your other plans for the upgrade? Are you just trying to add bass or are you looking for better sound overall including more bass? If you're not a hip-hop or EDM junkie you can get really great bass out of a set of upgraded door woofers with the right power behind them. Otherwise you could always utilize the rear package tray for a decent subwoofer with a custom enclosure. Here are a couple threads for reference:

Using door woofers for low bass response: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...che-gt3rs.html

Custom enclosure on package tray: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9306...eam-991-a.html

Happy to help you design something fitting, just need a bit of clarity on your goals for the upgrade.

Nick
Hi Nick,
Thanks for the help!

I have some existing equipment from a previous install that I am hoping to re-use, but it isn’t a must, which includes:
Morel Limited Edition Carbon Fibre 6.5 inch mids
Morel Limited Edition Tweeter
JL Audio 900/5
JL Audio 13TW5 slim sub (might be too big for the footwell)
*Please note not all of the above needs to be reused

I welcome your thoughts on what could be reissued and what shouldn’t be.

My listening breaks down as follows:
33% Rock
33% Hip Hop/R&B
33% House

I tend to like bass quite a bit, but not crazy loud (no need for interns to vibrate lol).

I really like the Musicar setup using all the factory locations, but it means not retaining any of my existing equipment which is a bit of a bummer. I have never heard the Morel 9 inch subs, so i wonder if they go low enough.?

I loved the design of the sub enclosure on the rear shelf, very stylish. I am certainly open to this idea but was considering the footwell because I thought it might help with the front soundstage and I was considering transplanting this system into the Speedster if my Dealer comes through. Rear shelf is open to consideration.

I welcome your ideas and potentially working on this together.

Thank you

Last edited by BrntRubber; 08-17-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:48 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the help!

I have some existing equipment from a previous install that I am hoping to re-use, but it isn’t a must, which includes:
Morel Limited Edition Carbon Fibre 6.5 inch mids
Morel Limited Edition Tweeter
JL Audio 900/5
JL Audio 13TW5 slim sub (might be too big for the footwell)
*Please note not all of the above needs to be reused

I welcome your thoughts on what could be reissued and what shouldn’t be.

My listening breaks down as follows:
33% Rock
33% Hip Hop/R&B
33% House

I tend to like bass quite a bit, but not crazy loud (no need for interns to vibrate lol).

I really like the Musicar setup using all the factory locations, but it means not retaining any of my existing equipment which is a bit of a bummer. I have never heard the Morel 9 inch subs, so i wonder if they go low enough.?

I loved the design of the sub on the rear shelf, very stylish. I am open to this idea put looked at the footwell because I was considering transplanting this system into the Speedster if my Dealer comes through.
I welcome your ideas and help.

Thank you
Your listening preference definitely indicates that you'd be happiest with a dedicated subwoofer. The Morel 9" woofers do get low enough to satisfy, but with an emphasis on house and hip-hop they might not thrill you 100% of the time. Haven't been a big fan of the 13TW5 sonically, but the 10TW3 is actually a great woofer and I know from designing some past systems that it would fit on the back package tray firing up. We actually designed an enclosure for that sub a while back – PM me and I'll send you the photos.

You've got some great gear, so I can definitely understand not wanting to stray from that. The LE tweeters could be difficult to fit without a good amount of custom work, but worth the effort for sure. I would add a DSP processor to the mix though – Maybe a Mosconi 6to8 or Helix DSP. That should help you optimize everything for the car. I've got a good idea of the results you could get from a setup like that, but a ton of it leans on a proper integration and good fabrication. You have a local pro that you trust or is this something you're doing yourself?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:51 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Your listening preference definitely indicates that you'd be happiest with a dedicated subwoofer. The Morel 9" woofers do get low enough to satisfy, but with an emphasis on house and hip-hop they might not thrill you 100% of the time. Haven't been a big fan of the 13TW5 sonically, but the 10TW3 is actually a great woofer and I know from designing some past systems that it would fit on the back package tray firing up. We actually designed an enclosure for that sub a while back – PM me and I'll send you the photos.

You've got some great gear, so I can definitely understand not wanting to stray from that. The LE tweeters could be difficult to fit without a good amount of custom work, but worth the effort for sure. I would add a DSP processor to the mix though – Maybe a Mosconi 6to8 or Helix DSP. That should help you optimize everything for the car. I've got a good idea of the results you could get from a setup like that, but a ton of it leans on a proper integration and good fabrication. You have a local pro that you trust or is this something you're doing yourself?
Hi Nick,

I forgot I also have an Audison Bit One, unless that is really dated now.

I know someone who could do the install.

I will PM you now.

Thanks again bud
Old 09-01-2018, 04:31 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Passenger footwell is currently the front runner as the seat goes very far back and I really like how it adds to the front soundstage when, well, in the front vs behind the seat.

Safety is priority number 1 so need to see if there is something to safely secure it to. If so, likely going for a 10 JL TW3
Old 09-01-2018, 11:57 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Passenger footwell is currently the front runner as the seat goes very far back and I really like how it adds to the front soundstage when, well, in the front vs behind the seat.

Safety is priority number 1 so need to see if there is something to safely secure it to. If so, likely going for a 10 JL TW3
Matt Moreman (money2536) did this in his blue 991 gt3. I believe he has a video of it on the obsesses garage YouTube channel.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Enclosure in Passenger Footwell