Musicar Stage III Audio Upgrade - 991 Porsche GT3RS - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Reload this Page >

Musicar Stage III Audio Upgrade - 991 Porsche GT3RS

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Musicar Stage III Audio Upgrade - 991 Porsche GT3RS

 
Old 04-04-2018, 11:20 PM
  #1  
12v Nick
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
12v Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 668
Default Musicar Stage III Audio Upgrade - 991 Porsche GT3RS

Today we had the pleasure of installing one of our Musicar Stage III Performance Audio Systems into this beautiful 2016 991.1 GT3RS. The owner complained that the engine and exhaust sounded great, but the sound system was far from a compliment to that, especially for his longer road trips. We exchanged a few emails and decided that he would drive down to Portland, OR from Seattle, WA to have us personally install the whole kit.



For those that aren't familiar with our outfit, we have three stages of performance audio upgrades that are specifically tailored to the pre-facelift 991/981 chassis cars with the Sound Package Plus factory system(almost every GT car). For more info on the stages, check out this thread on the whole kit structure and this one the Stage I tweeter upgrade. For this project, we needed to have enough power to overcome the engine and road noise and the right speakers to give us the clarity and dynamics at those volume levels – Stage III was the logical choice. Here are the components for that setup:
.
  • Musicar 28mm High-End Tweeters (Dynaudio of Denmark)
  • Musicar 100mm High-End Midrange (Dynaudio of Denmark)
  • Musicar 230mm High-Output Woofers (Morel of Israel)
  • Musicar Performance DSP Amplifier (Mosconi of Italy)
  • Musicar Plug and Play Input/Output Harnessing (Musicar Northwest)
Our goal is to utilize some of the best equipment available and adapt those products to fit the Porsche platform perfectly. The speakers and amplifier are 100% plug and play and bolt-in using all of the original hardware. Not a single wire needs to be cut nor any holes drilled. In the end, it's also 100% hidden. The new amplifier will live in the same cavity under the passenger seat as the original amplifier and all of the speakers utilize factory locations. We even use an amplifier with a built-in sound processor that we've spent countless hours tuning to the cabin of these cars. We're going for great sound here, and that doesn't need to be seen!

Here are some photos of the components after our modifications/preparation:

























We've got more photos of the installation process itself, but I'm still taking them off the camera and editing them, so stay tuned for more soon!

–Nick
__________________
Director of Porsche Product Development - Musicar Northwest

"I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate" - Elbert Hubbard
12v Nick is offline  
Old 04-04-2018, 11:57 PM
  #2  
binky
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 46
Default

What is the cost of a stage 3 setup for this car?
binky is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 01:45 PM
  #3  
12v Nick
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
12v Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by binky View Post
What is the cost of a stage 3 setup for this car?
PM'd
__________________
Director of Porsche Product Development - Musicar Northwest

"I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate" - Elbert Hubbard
12v Nick is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 01:58 PM
  #4  
smbryan
User
 
smbryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 301
Default

Before and after videos showcasing the audio difference(s) would really help...
smbryan is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 02:24 PM
  #5  
12v Nick
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
12v Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by smbryan View Post
Before and after videos showcasing the audio difference(s) would really help...
That's a tough one – these systems are so resolute and impactful that a video would likely show you that there's a big difference, but wouldn't give you anywhere close to the actual sonic improvements. If I'm not mistaken, the owner is a fellow forum member, so we might be able to get him to chime in on his personal experience! We've got a number of these kits in the wild at this point, so there are some other sources for a non-biased opinion.
__________________
Director of Porsche Product Development - Musicar Northwest

"I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate" - Elbert Hubbard
12v Nick is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 05:39 PM
  #6  
drdonger
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
drdonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,578
Default

More details please!. How many watts are going to the speakers each? How many channels is the amp? Passive or active xovers, active I'm assuming? What is the weight of the overall system? Can this upgrade be done for Bose systems or .2 cars? Thanks in advance.
drdonger is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 06:46 PM
  #7  
Jamie140
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jamie140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Burlington/Barrie/Marco Island, Florida
Posts: 5,120
Default

Do you have a 981 boxster spyder solution?
Jamie140 is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 07:22 PM
  #8  
Psup4s
User
 
Psup4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 800
Default

Those are some great looking drivers. Dynaudio and Morel are top shelf. Can you pm price for this set up...minus install.
Psup4s is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 07:59 PM
  #9  
1Gunner
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
1Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a van down by the Ottawa River ...
Posts: 3,359
Default

I just re-installed your 28mm Tweeters in my GT3 Touring. Originally from my 991.2 TTS.

Curious about the rest.

PM details please.

1Gunner is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 08:04 PM
  #10  
12v Nick
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
12v Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by drdonger View Post
More details please!. How many watts are going to the speakers each? How many channels is the amp? Passive or active xovers, active I'm assuming? What is the weight of the overall system? Can this upgrade be done for Bose systems or .2 cars? Thanks in advance.
Happy to share the tech details. I forget sometimes that we're not the only one that like to "nerd out" on that stuff! The amplifier is actually an 8-Channel Class-A/B design with a built in sound processor – the combination of analog amplification with digital processing is a phenomenal pairing. When we use that amplifier in this particular setup, we set it to a staggered 6-Channel mode that feeds 60w to each tweeter, 60w to each midrange, and 150w to each woofer. This is what we call an "active" system since every speaker in the setup has it's own discreet amplifier and processor channel. That approach allows us to independently tune each speaker with equalization, time correction, and phase – invaluable tools when we're working in automotive acoustics.

The weight change of the system is approximately 25lbs additional including the new speakers, amplifier, and sound treatment. Not enough to make a difference in your weekend track days. It's not available for Bose or Burmester cars built before 2017, but will soon be available for any 2017+ platform with PCM4.0+ equipped. R&D is going on right now so we'll probably be supporting that change in 30-90 days. For right now, it's specifically designed for 991.1 or 981 cars with Sound Package Plus.

Originally Posted by Jamie140 View Post
Do you have a 981 boxster spyder solution?
If it has Sound Package Plus, then absolutely. We're building a Stage III system right now for a GT4 owner.

Originally Posted by Psup4s View Post
Those are some great looking drivers. Dynaudio and Morel are top shelf. Can you pm price for this set up...minus install.
Thanks – PM on the way!
__________________
Director of Porsche Product Development - Musicar Northwest

"I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate" - Elbert Hubbard
12v Nick is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 08:11 PM
  #11  
1Gunner
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
1Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a van down by the Ottawa River ...
Posts: 3,359
Default

Originally Posted by 12v Nick View Post
Happy to share the tech details. I forget sometimes that we're not the only one that like to "nerd out" on that stuff! The amplifier is actually an 8-Channel Class-A/B design with a built in sound processor – the combination of analog amplification with digital processing is a phenomenal pairing. When we use that amplifier in this particular setup, we set it to a staggered 6-Channel mode that feeds 60w to each tweeter, 60w to each midrange, and 150w to each woofer. This is what we call an "active" system since every speaker in the setup has it's own discreet amplifier and processor channel. That approach allows us to independently tune each speaker with equalization, time correction, and phase – invaluable tools when we're working in automotive acoustics.

The weight change of the system is approximately 25lbs additional including the new speakers, amplifier, and sound treatment. Not enough to make a difference in your weekend track days. It's not available for Bose or Burmester cars built before 2017, but will soon be available for any 2017+ platform with PCM4.0+ equipped. R&D is going on right now so we'll probably be supporting that change in 30-90 days. For right now, it's specifically designed for 991.1 or 981 cars with Sound Package Plus.
It's not available for 991.2 Bose GT3s? Bummer!!
1Gunner is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 08:23 PM
  #12  
12v Nick
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
12v Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by 1Gunner View Post
It's not available for 991.2 Bose GT3s? Bummer!!
Not right now, but hopefully soon. We're just days away from receiving our first beta audio integration module for the 991.2 with Bose. If that works as hoped, we'll just need to finish development on the mounting and wiring harness and it's ready to rock-n-roll. I'll keep you in the loop!

Nick
__________________
Director of Porsche Product Development - Musicar Northwest

"I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate" - Elbert Hubbard
12v Nick is offline  
Old 04-06-2018, 12:19 AM
  #13  
CAlexio
Super User
 
CAlexio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 8,117
Default

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Not right now, but hopefully soon. We're just days away from receiving our first beta audio integration module for the 991.2 with Bose. If that works as hoped, we'll just need to finish development on the mounting and wiring harness and it's ready to rock-n-roll. I'll keep you in the loop!

Nick
For those of us with Bose will it still be as big of an overhaul or will some components be retained?
CAlexio is offline  
Old 04-06-2018, 02:36 AM
  #14  
qbix
User
 
qbix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 695
Default

What’s the point of installing all that stuff if you don’t have a proper sound insulation on a GT3 car?
qbix is offline  
Old 04-06-2018, 02:48 AM
  #15  
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
OldGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Southwest Idaho
Posts: 10,456
Default

Those are some great looking drivers. Dynaudio and Morel are top shelf. Can you pm price for this set up...minus install.
Damn and I thought WE were the drivers!!
OldGuy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Musicar Stage III Audio Upgrade - 991 Porsche GT3RS


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: