Sponsored by:

Xpel vs. Ceramic Coating...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 02:28 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Xpel vs. Ceramic Coating...

Can someone help talk me through he pro’s and con’s of each, which people prefer etc. I believe the Xpel is a clear film protection? How long does it last? Can you still wash and wax like you normally would? The ceramic coating is an application directly on top of the clear correct? Same questions, how long does it last, can you still wash and wax on top of it? Price comparisons on each?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Addicted-2-Speed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard from a nice member that Jean-Claude of Detailed Designs may be a good source on PPF & Ceramic Coating. I have not had any experience with Detailed Designs so can someone chime in please?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,136 Likes on 2,893 Posts

I have both PPF (Suntek) and Ceramic coating (special versions for the PPF-covered portions and the uncovered parts of the car). I recommend this - makes washing super easy (water and dirt just run right off). The ceramic coating on its own does not provide enough protection from impacts (stones, gravel, etc.), so I have PPF in areas that are most vulnerable to this.

I highly recommend Kirby here for anyone in the Denver area:
https://www.bestclearbra.com/
Old 08-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
Can someone help talk me through he pro’s and con’s of each, which people prefer etc. I believe the Xpel is a clear film protection? How long does it last? Can you still wash and wax like you normally would? The ceramic coating is an application directly on top of the clear correct? Same questions, how long does it last, can you still wash and wax on top of it? Price comparisons on each?
Jean Claude at Detailed Designs is the best person to answer these questions. I will give you my brief knowledge of both products as he installed them on my RS.

Xpel PPF is a clear film paint protection that is installed on the car. There are different thicknesses of it and it is designed to protect the car's paint from rock chips, scratches, debris, etc. It is a vinyl type application that covers the paint. It can become distressed over time depending on use and will need to be reinstalled at some point. Basically it is a condom for the car's paint.

Ceramic Coating is a lot different. It is installed similar to a wax but the paint has to be prepped or any flaw in the paint will be visible. It is not designed to protect the paint from chips and debris. It will last 2-10 years depending on how much the car is exposed to sun, driven, washed, etc. Once this is done you do not need to wax the car but you will need to wash it. The water repellency of the coating makes it easy to wash and to get bugs and dirt off the car.

Next car I get is going to have both PPF and ceramic coating on it just like my current RS.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:47 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had both xpel ultimate and cquartz finest reserve (ceramic coating) on my GTS. Personally I was happy with both.

Very simply: You can think of the PPF wrap as a means of protecting the paint from impact (flying rocks and debris). The coating (ceramic, wax, sealant, etc) protects the surface from dirt, chemicals, insects, bird droppings, etc. The coating doesn’t really protect against impacts. The wrap does have some chemical resistance properties, but nowhere near as good as the coating.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,136 Likes on 2,893 Posts

Putting the ceramic coating on the wheels and brake calipers is helpful for removing brake dust too (still accumulates, but is more easily cleaned)...
Old 08-03-2018, 03:49 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Any issues or concerns with removing either of these products, especially the film? I would assume it comes off nice and clean but does it do anything to hurt the paint? Just thinking down the road once it’s been installed and caked on for 10 years, hopefully would just peel off and have the paint looking clean and new but who knows?
Old 08-03-2018, 03:54 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

I have all sorts of combos of PPF and ceramic coating on my cars. i.e. a car with PPF and ceramic coating on top, a car with PPF but no coating, a car with no PPF but coating, and cars with nothing.

If you only want 1, then get the PPF. It'll protect against physical damage such as rock chips and swirls, which are unsightly and expensive to repair.

With that said, I would highly recommend a coating on top of the PPF if you aren't the type to enjoy detailing and sealing your car regularly. What it will do is protect your car against chemical damage such as bird poop, waterspots, or bug etching. It also makes cleaning faster and a breeze.

Many people ask why add coating if you already have PPF. Yes, PPF will prevent any bird poop from etching into your paint. However, the PPF itself can still get etched, and will look ugly on your car until the film is replaced.

Finally, and this is very important, don't be the guy that puts a coating under a PPF. That's a complete waste, and may actually increase the chances of the PPF adhesive failing. I facepalm very hard whenever I see someone post that they put a coating first, then applied PPF on top.

Other small things to note: If your car has been repainted, then there is a chance that the PPF removal process may peel off some paint. If it's never been repainted, then this is not a concern except on very old cars with single stage paints (think early 80s or older). Coatings are removed through aggressive polishing, although I've never heard of a reason to remove a coating.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:54 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

8 years and over present possible issues removing PPF. Remember there is a glue adhesive used by PPF manufacturers that activated when wet. Additional labor to remove PPF is to be expected beyond that 8 year mark. I've heard on rare occasions the paint can be damaged removing old film.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:08 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

What's the cost for ceramic coating?
Old 08-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

There are probably a hundred threads on this topic on RL with a ton of great information and opinions.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I just called detailed designs today prior to viewing this thread. The voicemail said they are not currently taking on new clients. I left my info just in case though. I hope to hear back from them.

Are they a site sponsor here?
Old 08-03-2018, 05:55 PM
BOS991.2
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

xpel with opti coat over the full gt3 touring and couldn’t be happier. installed by craft detailing in dedham, ma
Old 08-04-2018, 03:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,850 Likes on 2,394 Posts

this sound funny
but in simplified terms this is what it is
xpel is a film, think of it as a condom, they do the same thing,
you can do anyting to xpel that you can do to paint.
xpel reduce chipping of paint

ceramic is more like wax (grossly simplified explanation)
it is hygroscopic, repels water.

film last 3-4 years top for someone as **** as u.
those who have film lonfger than 4 year, either have low std or are blind. they turn yellow. i dont care what they tell you, which brand they are, they turn yellow.

ceramic : if it's a garage queen, use wax, dont use cderamic, the sheen is not the same
if DD ceramic saves you time in car washing but since it's a DD, the ceramic will not last more than 18 months, if that long.

all the nice cars in my warehouse u saw are xpel
the DD truck is ceramic coated.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:33 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

if you hate rock chips gets ppf, if you hate washing your car, get ceramic

Quick Reply: Xpel vs. Ceramic Coating...