Light Weight Battery for .2 GT3???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I don't know either way. Reducing weight with a smaller battery = good. But if it involves having to lift the car, remove the wheels, do a coilover adjustment, then get an alignment, it starts to sound like a bigger hassle than it's worth unless you're a die-hard weekend warrior who tracks their car a lot. Otherwise, I might not even bother. Only way to really know is to go ahead and do it, and then make sure to measure the before/after ride height. And then reducing suspension travel just to get the car back down to factory height, will affect other things since all the geometry needs to work together for one's desired handling characteristics.
The weight difference in this case is equivalent to about 5 gallons of gas. That’s well less than 1/4 tank difference. For a hardcore track guy, it would be very OCD to corner-balance for that. For a street driver and occasional track driver, totally unnecessary...
Old 04-17-2018, 07:45 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

The weight difference in this case is equivalent to about 5 gallons of gas. That’s well less than 1/4 tank difference. For a hardcore track guy, it would be very OCD to corner-balance for that. For a street driver and occasional track driver, totally unnecessary...

I agree. But only IF it really doesn't affect ride height. 1/4" is a big difference if that's really what the case was in the thread linked in the OP. Hell, 1/4" is a huge difference in terms of looks and wheel gap, never mind handling. And I'm not talking about corner balancing. Just height adjustment and alignment to make sure the car is back to where it was if it sits higher.

Does it seem like a contradiction to care enough about 30 lbs. by swapping batteries, but to not care about a proper alignment, ride height, and suspension travel after doing so? If a lighter battery doesn't affect these things, great. But that link in the OP says otherwise...
Old 04-17-2018, 07:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I agree. But only IF it really doesn't affect ride height. 1/4" is a big difference if that's really what the case was in the thread linked in the OP. Hell, 1/4" is a huge difference in terms of looks and wheel gap, never mind handling.
It can’t be 1/4”. Bring a tape measure to the gas station and see if adding 5 gallons makes a measurable difference to ride height or wheel well gap. Gas tank is pretty close to battery location.

BTW, OP was from 2010, so car was 997 or older...
The following users liked this post:
pride355 (05-03-2021)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:53 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrantG

It can’t be 1/4”. Bring a tape measure to the gas station and see if adding 5 gallons makes a measurable difference to ride height or wheel well gap. Gas tank is pretty close to battery location.

BTW, OP was from 2010, so car was 997 or older...

You're right, 1/4" definitely sounds like a lot to me too. Doing the gas thing seems like a good idea though. I guess in that case, if you spec'd the larger gas tank, running a lighter battery is a good way to counteract that extra weight (and the added weight of FAL and LEDs).
Old 04-17-2018, 08:16 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Qbix, I'm all for the Customer having options.... but just put out good data if you are going to throw out a comment. You say the Liteblox can save 22Kg. But 22kg is 48.5 lbs.... which is actually more weight than the stock Lead/Acid Battery in 991 which is 45lbs .... not sure how your getting NEGATIVE weight from changing a Battery.

Also the battery you are recommending.... the least expensive and lightest Liteblox is only 7.5 REAL Ah that costs MORE than our RS-30 which has 30 Real Ah. But then we have the ATX12-HD-RS.... which would beat up on the Liteblox with 3 more REAL Ah, about 80 more Cranking Amps at 75% less cost and you can actually buy it NOW in the USA.... and if you didn't like it or had a warranty claim could call us and get it dealt with immediately. Liteblox, last I saw, didn't have a Distributor in the USA. Also the Bluetooth thing while cool sounding has an issue, but that is for another thread.
Thanks for clarifying. Looks like they were bs me with their weight savings which I was not aware. I mean the real numbers.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 AM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Thanks for the input and it appears you hit a nail on the head with all the Black requests. I just figured people would want those colors mostly but I was way off.... But BLACK has been noted, I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem at all.

I will ask tonight about the Black.... I'm sure it just as easy as any other Anodized color so there should be no issues... they just started the milling so they have time before the Anodizing process and I will inquire. I know black Anodizing can sometime turn dark purple but that is in the sun. I also like that wrinkle looking stuff but I think that is more elaborate of a process... but it no harm for me to check.
Thanks for taking black into consideration.

What about just powder coating the mounts black. I don't know what the cost difference would be between the two, but I can't imagine there being much of a difference. And of course, powder coating would offer a true rich black more so than anodizing.

Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:18 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I agree. But only IF it really doesn't affect ride height. 1/4" is a big difference if that's really what the case was in the thread linked in the OP. Hell, 1/4" is a huge difference in terms of looks and wheel gap, never mind handling. And I'm not talking about corner balancing. Just height adjustment and alignment to make sure the car is back to where it was if it sits higher.

Does it seem like a contradiction to care enough about 30 lbs. by swapping batteries, but to not care about a proper alignment, ride height, and suspension travel after doing so? If a lighter battery doesn't affect these things, great. But that link in the OP says otherwise...
First, the battery is not directly above the front axle, so some of the weight is taken off the rear as well. Second, the fuel tank is about the same area, and no adjustment is necessary when going from full to empty, or about 180lbs with the extended tank. Lastly, when the car goes from acceleration to braking, the weight distribution changes from about 25/75 on full throttle to about 65/35 on full brake. So almost 40% of the total car weight transfers (or about 1300lbs), and that still is not a problem for a well-designed suspension - the car handles well both on the throttle on and braking. So lighter battery should not require alignment - very far from it.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:46 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

You can also remove the side mufflers from the rear to match the battery weight reduction.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:52 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
First, the battery is not directly above the front axle, so some of the weight is taken off the rear as well. Second, the fuel tank is about the same area, and no adjustment is necessary when going from full to empty, or about 180lbs with the extended tank. Lastly, when the car goes from acceleration to braking, the weight distribution changes from about 25/75 on full throttle to about 65/35 on full brake. So almost 40% of the total car weight transfers (or about 1300lbs), and that still is not a problem for a well-designed suspension - the car handles well both on the throttle on and braking. So lighter battery should not require alignment - very far from it.
Thanks for the clarification. However I'm not asking if a lighter battery requires an alignment. I'm asking if a lighter battery causes the car to sit higher. I guess the springs on the car linked in the OP are much softer than the .2 GT3's though...
Old 04-18-2018, 03:03 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. However I'm not asking if a lighter battery requires an alignment. I'm asking if a lighter battery causes the car to sit higher. I guess the springs on the car linked in the OP are much softer than the .2 GT3's though...
Isn't the front spring rate something like 256 pounds/inch? If the battery sat exactly on the front axle, then 51 pounds off would lift the front of the car 1/10 inch. I thought the GT4 battery is about 25 pounds heavier, so the front of a GT4 would rise 1/20 of an inch with the RS-30 battery. Actually my front springs are 336 pounds/inch, so make that 1/26 of an inch.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:07 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yargk
Isn't the front spring rate something like 256 pounds/inch? If the battery sat exactly on the front axle, then 51 pounds off would lift the front of the car 1/10 inch. I thought the GT4 battery is about 25 pounds heavier, so the front of a GT4 would rise 1/20 of an inch with the RS-30 battery. Actually my front springs are 336 pounds/inch, so make that 1/26 of an inch.
Do spring rates actually work that way? This is a legitimate question, I'm not trying to argue or anything. I can put a suitcase in the trunk of my car and watch it sag down 1/4". Doesn't need to be a 200-pound suitcase.

I don't mean to derail the thread; I guess I'll find out for sure when I get a lighter battery
Old 04-18-2018, 03:20 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
You can also remove the side mufflers from the rear to match the battery weight reduction.
I just discovered this thread, so so good.. not sure how I missed it. I was thinking the above also... ~80lbs reduced from the car just with mufflers and battery.. not a bad deal.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:48 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I just discovered this thread, so so good.. not sure how I missed it. I was thinking the above also... ~80lbs reduced from the car just with mufflers and battery.. not a bad deal.
im also rather keen on this. I’m not ready to remove the side mufflers, but definitely ready to do a rear exhaust and battery, what does that come out to, 60lbs? For 2-4 grand total? (depending on exhaust)

Lose more weight than either PCCBs or WP, for a fraction of the price.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:12 AM
Dante
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 35 Posts

does anybody know if there is any warranty issue (for the whole electrical system) in replacing oem battery with one of these?
Old 04-18-2018, 04:55 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

I think this Antigravity battery is a total no brainer..All gain and no pain IMO.!..Just checked out the UK site where the cost is £480 ex VAT and weighs 2.6Kg..IIRC a previous post was quoted as saying that the OEM battery weighs 45 lbs(20.4Kg) so this gives a whopping saving of 17.8Kg..
An absolute bargain compared to the previous OEM Li-ion battery which cost roughly £1500 with none of the discharge issues..

Quick Reply: Light Weight Battery for .2 GT3???