Sponsored by:

Parking GT3 in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:53 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Parking GT3 in NYC

Might make some few trips to NYC for dinner/show once GT3 is delivered. I know the road conditions are horrible but my concern is parking during the time I will be eating dinner / watching musical and etc. What are some suggestions other than street parking or valet? I've seen machine operated parking like the link above but I think there's only 1-2 in the city.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:15 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWLrvGhcoaQ

Might make some few trips to NYC for dinner/show once GT3 is delivered. I know the road conditions are horrible but my concern is parking during the time I will be eating dinner / watching musical and etc. What are some suggestions other than street parking or valet? I've seen machine operated parking like the link above but I think there's only 1-2 in the city.
Holy crap .... Amazing
Old 04-10-2018, 04:09 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 571 Posts

Take an Uber............don;t even think about it....just not worth it........curb rash waiting to happen...........

Last edited by abiazis; 04-10-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:56 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,104 Likes on 547 Posts

^^^. NYC no place for a gt3 or any self driven car on an evening. Super early in morning on a weekend; no problem. Just zero enjoyment and only downside driving during peak hours. Park it outside the city or in the edge at least.

I always kept one fun toy in my building garage when i lived there but I was UWS, 2 blocks from on ramp to 9a/Hudson Parkway. Never drove it INTO the city with exception of holiday or the occasional Porsche dealer CnC. Even that was a Sunday morning. It's a jungle on Manhattan streets. Bumpers are acceptable contact item, especially when parking (just look at all the bumper car pads and 3" of space between cars). Parking garages literally have foam fastened to all the concrete poles and other surfaces. When they hit the pole, they know they've gone far enough (I **** u not). I had a deal with my garage that let me park and retrieve my own vehicle. But technically that's against most garages policy and cost me a lot in tip money to make it happen. Yes, paying MORE to park my own car is not lost on me but it kept it from becoming a game of "bumper car parking".

Good luck. Wish i had better opinion for you.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Not sure why you would do that .........I have a place in Manhattan, and all my cars are in GA where I can drive them. The city is a hot mess for nice cars pot holes, and people that will bump your car and not give a crap. Unless you have a personal valet in an office building which is far and few I wouldn’t do it .......many nice cars in my building with nice digs and dents. Just my two cents we Uber everywhere or walk.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:54 AM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 90 Posts

I lived in Manhattan for the last 15 years (just moved out 4 months ago). I have garaged countless porches there, mostly GT cars. I would say unless its a Saturday or Sunday don't bother, the drive will be more stop and go than enjoyable. But if on a weekend its not a big deal. Don't go overboard with caring and being OCD about the cars safety when being parked. Its perceived negatively by parking attendants. Trust me, this is Manhattan, any garage you pull into has seen, dealt with, and parked dozens, if not hundreds of cars over the years worth way more than a GT3 and way more difficult to navigate, like an Aventaodr or something to that effect. i know people who keep 918's and CGTs in Manhattan. No biggie. I would just tip the attendant 20 bucks when you leave the garage and express to him you don't care where he parks it, you do not need a front and center spot, you just want the car to be safe. Life is too short to spend too much time on this, go and enjoy whatever you're in the city for.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

There used to be "Manhattan plaza" a garage on 42nd between 9th and 10th which was a fairly convenient location and it was that you drove and parked your car yourself. They had a small section that seemed dedicated to good cars in longer term storage, I remember seeing an orange Lambo.

Otherwise like they say, tip handsomely (figure out who the boss man of the shift is, and tip him too).
Old 04-10-2018, 09:18 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

I would never drive my car in NYC with the intent of having to park it. Its one of those things that the downside risk can't result in any justifiable reward. I know just about every parking lot from the 50's to the 90's. I can't get in half of them and many others don't want the car due to liability. Get you car home and take a car service and enjoy theatre, dinner or whatever you want to do without the stress. This really makes no sense.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:20 AM
DFWCanuck
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't - risk far greater than any possible enjoyment or prestige you'll feel driving your new ride into the jungle
Old 04-10-2018, 09:27 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

this is crossing your mind now???

like others have stated - take an uber
Old 04-10-2018, 10:01 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Driving in and parking is easiest on a Sunday. I actually prefer to park in a safe spot on the street rather than a garage, but I don't leave my car for hours at a time. For what it's worth there's a garage on Lafayette street near cooper square that houses a few exotics (very flat entry and no lifts). I would avoid parking in any midtown garage they are always too tight and the guys are usually in a hurry.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Thank you all for replies. I spent last 11 years of my life in NYC and did drive a beater car for 5 years. Not fun even with automatic. I can't imagine how stressful it would be to make MT GT3. But, IN CASE I have to do it, I guess only way would be just not doing it or using the automated garage.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:19 AM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Here you go, put these bad boys on and have at it
Amazon Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Door-Shox-STANDARD-Removable-Protection/dp/B000XEFKEE?_encoding=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0 https://www.amazon.com/Door-Shox-STANDARD-Removable-Protection/dp/B000XEFKEE?_encoding=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0
Old 04-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BK77

Hence the reason why 99% of decent cars in NYC (by decent, I mean anything priced over 20k) has this ugly *** thing.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:24 PM
kshu1991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't..Before I moved to NYC, I have the same thought that "I can go through this, it would not be that bad...".

It is really BAD...Nearly kill my interest in driving on road.

Quick Reply: Parking GT3 in NYC