Sponsored by:

GT Inflations: Is this all our fault?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:33 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by nastinupe1
Are we our own worst enemy? What if everyone just stopped the madness and refused to pay more than MSRP for any car? We aren't benefiting from this inflation if we sell an inflated car and then the next car we want is also inflated, it's just a transfer of inflated cost from one vehicle to the next.

If we all just stopped then we could actually afford to purchase more cars or do other things with our money.

How do we create an anti-inflation alliance?
Ask yourself this question, if the next GT car you buy will guaranteed you 50% depreciation after 3 years or something like a McLaren, would you still buy it? Would anyone paying above MSRP to buy one still?
Old 03-30-2018, 11:51 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Manifold and MaxLTV made some very good posts. It's the truth whether people want to believe it or not.

To the airbag or bag of air that feels that people who can afford a 150k car shouldn't be bothered by 25-50k: You're a sucker.

Honestly, after hearing and dealing with this crap over the past few years, I'm tired of it. I'm keeping my RS for good when it arrives and calling it quits. This crap is only going to get worse until the next crash. Until then, I've seen the light with wheel to wheel racing.
Hey man, congrats on your RS allocation! Tell us a little more about the wheel-to-wheel racing. Will I become bankrupt if I get interested in this, lol? What series are you racing in?
Old 03-31-2018, 12:17 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm not sure about that. Over $200K is very expensive for a track car, and for road use options like McLarens and high-end AMGs would look more compelling if Porsche prices climbed to the $250K range. Porsche dominates its niche, which is mainly under $200K, and I think they would lose a lot of sales if they tried to go farther upmarket.
Too much depreciation to buy new for both when they're not rare and are easily acquired. Porsche really does offer a great value in it's segment.

However, perhaps the depreciation on the 720S buying one gently used might equal the ADM (which you will not recover)... so tough call when you start hitting $225k sticker on GT3 RS (which probably means more like $265-275k after ADM). My vote goes to 720S when it can be had in the mid to high 2's with low mileage and warranty intact (which might only be 18 months away). But perhaps I'm stupid and don't know enough about the cost of ownership that comes with it compared to the PCar. I heard they've improved -- the MP4-12C was atrocious for my friend.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:32 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guab
Too much depreciation to buy new for both when they're not rare and are easily acquired. Porsche really does offer a great value in it's segment.
Many reasons for ADMs, but the above talk is one of the biggest reasons for the frenzy. Value, depreciation...

10 years ago, I was a student and lusted for a GT3. I had no idea about depreciation. I was ready to spend / loose the money without expecting any returns. Hey my first expensive car was a cls63 amg. Talk about depreciation, and I don’t regret it a second.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:32 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
Hey man, congrats on your RS allocation! Tell us a little more about the wheel-to-wheel racing. Will I become bankrupt if I get interested in this, lol? What series are you racing in?
Thanks, man.

I've been racing spec miata with scca. It's much more fun than tracking a GT car. Lots of good competition. Overall costs once you factor in trackside support and the inevitable contact that occurs are about the same as tracking a GT car.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:47 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Thanks, man.

I've been racing spec miata with scca. It's much more fun than tracking a GT car. Lots of good competition. Overall costs once you factor in trackside support and the inevitable contact that occurs are about the same as tracking a GT car.
Really intrigued by spec Miata racing. The gentleman I sold my .1 GT3 also does this.

BTW, did you let go of your .2 GT3 manual allocation for the RS or you’re getting both?
Old 03-31-2018, 12:53 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Really intrigued with spec Miata racing. The gentleman I sold my .1 GT3 also does this.

BTW, did you let go of your .2 GT3 manual allocation for the RS or you’re getting both?
You should go to the SCCA school next february at BW and get your license. It's a real eye opener.

.2 GT3 arrives in a few weeks. RS wont arrive until December. I will drive the .2 until then and then decide what to do. I won't be flipping. It goes against every single moral fiber in my body. I'll trade back to dealer or sell to a friend or keep it.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:00 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

You should go to the SCCA school next february at BW and get your license. It's a real eye opener.

.2 GT3 arrives in a few weeks. RS wont arrive until December. I will drive the .2 until then and then decide what to do. I won't be flipping. It goes against every single moral fiber in my body. I'll trade back to dealer or sell to a friend or keep it.
You’ve got to keep it until you get the RS. Will be great to here/see the comparison both on road and the track between these cars. My guess is, you will likely keep both. Exciting times ahead 😄
Old 03-31-2018, 03:13 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

If I were a Dealer/Seller of a GT3/RS I would just pop on this forum to find out what people would be willing to pay. Because this forum exists so does ADMs.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:19 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,115 Likes on 5,266 Posts

I am continuously baffled as to why people have to justify how much they paid for a car. And then for others to judge that same person for the price they did pay.

Its your money. Spend it the way you want. What everyone else thinks is irrelevant.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:27 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I am continuously baffled as to why people have to justify how much they paid for a car. And then for others to judge that same person for the price they did pay.

Its your money. Spend it the way you want. What everyone else thinks is irrelevant.
It's the "guilt" factor. Some people who pay ADM need for others to tell them it is okay so they sleep better at night. Nobody wants to feel like they were screwed- human nature I guess. And yes - I do agree do what ever the heck you want with your own money but knowing others' paid ADM makes one feel better - I guess.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:41 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
It's the "guilt" factor. Some people who pay ADM need for others to tell them it is okay so they sleep better at night. Nobody wants to feel like they were screwed- human nature I guess. And yes - I do agree do what ever the heck you want with your own money but knowing others' paid ADM makes one feel better - I guess.
Jimmy nailed it, you do not want to feel screwed. And the reason people feel it is because some get the cars at msrp, why shouldn’t I. If there was an ADM and everyone had to pay it, you may call it a market value, buy the car, not feel bad, and enjoy it. But when one pays ADM and finds out someone else got it at msrp, it hurts.

Edit: I bet there are some members here that rather burn the money than pay ADM, it's a principal issue.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:46 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,115 Likes on 5,266 Posts

Jimmy nailed it, you do not want to feel screwed. And the reason people feel it is because some get the cars at msrp, why shouldn’t I. If there was an ADM and everyone had to pay it, you may call it a market value, buy the car, not feel bad, and enjoy it. But when one pays ADM and finds out someone else got it at msrp, it hurts.

Ever fly commercial?

Ever wonder what the person next to you paid for their ticket?

The people here who have the same insecurities about ADMs ... they best not fly commercial. Ever.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:57 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Ever fly commercial?

Ever wonder what the person next to you paid for their ticket?

The people here who have the same insecurities about ADMs ... they best not fly commercial. Ever.
Yesss.... seen and experienced it multiple times. Recent trip with a friend. Found out what he paid, I felt great. He felt screwed and not happy. Does not matter the amount, 5 cents, 5 dollars or 5K, nobody enjoys to be screwed.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,394 Likes on 640 Posts

Imagine knocking on your neighbors door:

You like your family too much
You paid too much for your house
Why do you have sucky landscape
Your cooking sucks

Etc.

That's why we're here I guess. Less gauche

Quick Reply: GT Inflations: Is this all our fault?