Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT Inflations: Is this all our fault?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018 | 02:38 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
"Its your money. Spend it the way you want. What everyone else thinks is irrelevant. "

YES
sometimes i want something really bad, i will pay quite a bit over mkt for it.
sometimes very rare things doesn't do it for me and you can't pay me to keep it.
i spend a lot of $ on food, however, i have never flown anything other than the cheapest class on airlines.
i buy very very $ bicycles without blinking an eye, but i buy the aboslute cheapest jersey i can find...
hey tis' my money, i spend it as i see fit.
so should you
Yea it's weird, I can't see wasting money on crazy custom furniture or custom suit, but will gladly spec extra unobtainium on my cars. Or spend extra hundreds so I don't have stupid stickers, yet buy the cheapest outlet store workout clothes. I'll spend spend $150 bucks on a phone case 'cause it's carbon fiber but refuse to spend more than 30 on a hair cut....I mean it does grow back. No excuses, no do overs, this ain't a run through, enjoy it with what ya got and don't worry about the haters. Like Georgie Best said, " I spent most of my money on women and cars, the rest I just wasted"
Old 04-01-2018 | 03:03 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race7117
Yea it's weird, I can't see wasting money on crazy custom furniture or custom suit, but will gladly spec extra unobtainium on my cars. Or spend extra hundreds so I don't have stupid stickers, yet buy the cheapest outlet store workout clothes. I'll spend spend $150 bucks on a phone case 'cause it's carbon fiber but refuse to spend more than 30 on a hair cut....I mean it does grow back. No excuses, no do overs, this ain't a run through, enjoy it with what ya got and don't worry about the haters. Like Georgie Best said, " I spent most of my money on women and cars, the rest I just wasted"
I like that quote

My family always finds it funny that I buy my shirts in packs from Macy's, jeans from Gap on sale, wear the beat up converse every 3 years before throwing away, and go to my local chop shop for the $15 haircut. I tell them I like to live frugally. Then they point out my watch, car, and house...

We all have our own vices and what we do and do not like to spend money on. To the OP and all prospective GT buyers just decide if the car's asking price is good value to you or not and move on. You can't set the asking price but you can decide where you want to spend your money.
Old 04-01-2018 | 08:25 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
That's not the right analogy. Imagine going to a social gathering and announcing to the crowd that you just paid a premium for your new car, but the car is totally worth it at that price, and is even a good investment, so everyone else shouldn't be reluctant to buy the car at a premium also. What are your motives? What are you trying to accomplish? If others respond by disagreeing that paying a premium makes sense, should you be upset and argue the point?
I was actually using an analogy, you're literally describing rennlist forums.

Point being- telling other people how to live their life, spend etc doesn't work all to well. Nobody likes having their quiver of hobbies judged, but a lot of people like the pat on the back.

If an individual buyer has a goal, and achieved it, he will probably enjoy himself.

I enjoy what I buy, and I buy what I enjoy. The only level of judgement that is really fair to dole out on someone's purchasing habits is more towards curiosity- why does this option or mode pique your interest so much?

This is more a comment on
PCCB vs Iron
Radio Delete vs The World
Why is Black Thread $4500
Etc
Old 04-01-2018 | 09:11 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
What about those who have paid MSRP vociferously encouraging others to pay ADM? How deceptive and self-serving is that?
I haven't seen that happening, but I only read the value threads here and there. I agree that it would be disingenuous to encourage others to spend more on something because it increases the value of what you already bought. That's a general problem of value threads - people can use them for rationalization and manipulation, whether intentional or not.
Old 04-01-2018 | 11:11 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gilly6993
Correct....MOST (emphasize) people that get these cars at MSRP pay the ADM with depreciation in ownership of other vehicles......Most brands play this game....
Best description of what ADM is and how it works. You are not standing in a line waiting based on when you signed up either.
You buy a Macca or Ferrari these days and, no ADM, and get porked the moment you drive it off the lot. You keep it and put maybe 3-4000 miles on it and trade it in. Did you really just pay $20.00 per mile to drive that car? Nope, more. But you know you should never do the math.
Old 04-01-2018 | 11:28 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Where I take issue is people deciding to pay ADM and then subtly or not so subtly using social media to encourage others to do the same, thus influencing market prices upwards, independently of demand vs supply.
I think we are giving far to much credit to these ADM “influencers”, I’m of a simple mind and not very smart but my 2 cents is that if 10k examples of a GT model were built we wouldn’t see ADMs survive very long. BUT....then all these ADM threads would convert back to value threads, filled with post after post of why the idiots at Porsche are building so many and the injustice they have done to the GT value compulsive clients!!! Many would pound fist saying they are quitting the brand because resale value was why they loved GT cars and this is criminal to humanity! Talk about a subject matter that is just goes in circles and circles and circles!

Old 04-01-2018 | 12:21 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

ADM exists because the cars are reselling at msrp or more

When car loans go back to 5-10% this shall pass

You can't go to ski store buy best pair of skis, go race on them / then resell them on craigslist for what you paid

This should be no different and eventually will be

Carry on
Old 04-02-2018 | 02:31 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

I think there is a vegas bookie with some great odds out on how many different ways a value thread can be titled on Rennlist, and still hoodwink everyone into creating and participating almost exactly the same posts with minimal variation in sequence. We're probably in the 1000 Over stage at this point
Old 04-02-2018 | 02:34 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

What's funny is from time to time I hop into the 997 GT subforum just to enjoy the threads and discussions over there.... nice reprieve lol

Unfortunately these threads on the 991 GT subforum will only continue until the 992 GTs arrive as demand far exceeds supply...people need a place to vent and get advice. They can't post about enjoying a car (that they really want to enjoy) when they can't get one!

EDIT - ^ in reference to allocation/sourcing a car....for value yes I agree let's talk about something else and assume these cars depreciate like every other car and if they don't, added bonus
Old 04-05-2018 | 11:14 AM
jhott66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by audipwr1

You can't go to ski store buy best pair of skis, go race on them / then resell them on craigslist for what you paid

Carry on
This. Exactly this.
Old 04-05-2018 | 11:37 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1

Carry on
It will always be different, primarily due to the fact a commodity as ubiquitous as skis is an extremely poor argument with respect to a very rare commodity like a GT3. "Value" is dictated by supply and demand. It's that simple.
Old 04-05-2018 | 12:11 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Porsche is a genius at creating a car that everyone can enjoy and fall in love with.

In 07 there was little or no ADM. but the car was totally new and they only made a few thousand of them. The tag line at that moment was a track focused car with a harsh ride for the purist only.

I was on the list at Sunset in Portland. They ultimately did not get the cars. Picked up the phone found a car at BH Porsche they sold it to me at MSRP plus paid for the shipping...... same dealer called me couple months later with a RS at MSRP.

Porsche has done a wonderful job creating demand for these cars. Or maybe the car creates its own demand. Adding PDK brought in a totally new buyer. Softening the ride turned some Turbo customers. The car is not just your a track rat for the purist anymore. I see ladies driving GT3's in Scottsdale. (Super sexy)

After driving the 4.0 GT3 with a Manual. I can see why people want them. What an amazing car. Best daily ever for around $200k. Track rat has left the building.

As long as Porsche continues to display and market the GT3/RS as the Pinnacle of Porsche the demand will always be there.
Old 04-05-2018 | 12:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

^ The cars certainly generate demand because of how good they are, on both road and track, especially as compared to the competition. But there's added demand from people who think they can own the cars essentially for free - as long as they don't drive them much and keep them off the track - or even eventually flip them for a profit. Increased supply of the cars would damp down that speculation in the shorter term, but with the result that there would eventually be too many of the cars out there when the economy weakens, causing a big drop in values and hurting sales of future GT cars. I anticipate that Porsche will only make enough of these cars to meet the demand of people who actually want to drive them, and meanwhile hype and speculation and low-interest loans and a decent economy will support inflated prices. Eventually the music will stop playing ...
Old 04-05-2018 | 01:00 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

^ The cars certainly generate demand because of how good they are, on both road and track, especially as compared to the competition. But there's added demand from people who think they can own the cars essentially for free - as long as they don't drive them much and keep them off the track - or even eventually flip them for a profit. Increased supply of the cars would damp down that speculation in the shorter term, but with the result that there would eventually be too many of the cars out there when the economy weakens, causing a big drop in values and hurting sales of future GT cars. I anticipate that Porsche will only make enough of these cars to meet the demand of people who actually want to drive them, and meanwhile hype and speculation and low-interest loans and a decent economy will support inflated prices. Eventually the music will stop playing ...
I disagree. Ferrari started the system and to this day it has not changed. So long as there is more demand than supply for a coveted model, one or another buyers will be paying above MSRP.
Old 04-05-2018 | 01:05 PM
ChoyV
Racer

And remember, according to Porsche, they will make 1 less of the total demand. Number 1 can be 1%, 1 out of 5, 1 out of 10......

Quick Reply: GT Inflations: Is this all our fault?