Sponsored by:

No lift shift in MT 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:32 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
So no lift up shift and no lift down shift? Wow, my head is blown....will try it this weekend.
Please martin don't try it, you'll have both head AND engine blowing up if you try no lift downshift (whatever that is)... . Not sure what you're reading here but that's not accurate..
Old 03-21-2018, 01:50 PM
bretster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

By what mechanism does the car slow the engine to rev match on the upshift? Or does it just keep it from falling too far as the revs decrease naturally? Surely there is no brake on the flywheel or some such.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:56 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by bretster
By what mechanism does the car slow the engine to rev match on the upshift? Or does it just keep it from falling too far as the revs decrease naturally? Surely there is no brake on the flywheel or some such.
throttle is electrically controlled so it would just cut throttle electronically for a moment rather than you doing it by lifting your foot.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:22 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Please martin don't try it, you'll have both head AND engine blowing up if you try no lift downshift (whatever that is)... . Not sure what you're reading here but that's not accurate..
I still think my scenario of it effectively acting like an automatic kick-down is plausible. With a PDK if you're puttering along and want to accelerate, you mash the pedal and it'll downshift and go. That's a no-lift downshift. Everything I'm reading here suggests this should work with the manual and this no-lift shifting business going on.

Now... to be fair... I'm not seeing value in any of this. The huge value in rev-matching to me is the perfect heel-toe downshifts. I'm mediocre at best at it and when I let the car do it there's zero question in my mind that I couldn't possibly have matched what it did. There's no heel-toe up-shifting though. I'm perfectly capable of managing the throttle on my own during an up-shift. This no-lift business sounds just lazy to me and isn't a thing I need help with. That said... maybe I'll change my mind when I try it. You never know. Maybe it's really neat.

Originally Posted by bretster
Everything that's going on here is being done by electronically controlling the throttle and doing things with it that you're not doing with your foot.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:38 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I still think my scenario of it effectively acting like an automatic kick-down is plausible. With a PDK if you're puttering along and want to accelerate, you mash the pedal and it'll downshift and go. That's a no-lift downshift. Everything I'm reading here suggests this should work with the manual and this no-lift shifting business going on....
I'm Utterly confused by what you're saying here???? Scenario of automatic kickdown??? I have to ask the question, have you actually driven the car or just enjoying the act of ?
Old 03-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

I'm Utterly confused by what you're saying here???? Scenario of automatic kickdown??? I have to ask the question, have you actually driven the car or just enjoying the act of ?
Haven't driven one. I mentioned that earlier. This is all speculation based on what I'm reading here.

But here's my scenario. Let me know what you think happens.

You're cruising along in 6th gear at some low RPM. You decide you want to speed up. Here's the sequence you perform:

1. Mash pedal to the floor.
2. Clutch in.
3. Shift to 3rd.
4. Clutch out.

What does the car do?

In my imagination, based on what I'm reading here about this no-lift shifting, the car will not just rev up to the rev limiter like any normal car would as soon as you put the clutch in. I imagine it holding the RPM when you push the clutch in and, when the gear lever goes into 3rd the computer rev-matches for 3rd appropriately and when you let the clutch out you're accelerating as hard as you can.

Is this complete fiction or is this what actually happens?
Old 03-21-2018, 04:21 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Here's the situation. If you floor a PDK-S in auto and you are going any speed, it will drop down to the optimal lowest gear pretty much instantaneously. It knows the lowest gear it can do at any given speed/rev range, and it can make that decision instantly. In the manual, you can mash the peddle and make the wrong decision about what gear to downshift into, then you will need a new motor. So you better know exactly what you are doing before you try that. For example, you are putting in 3rd gear totally ******* the motor going 25 mph, and you floor it while simultaneously throwing it into 1st. If you get the speed right you won't over-rev. Otherwise, get out your checkbook.

I personally would never try that stunt, which is why it is great to be able to do that same thing without risk in the PDK.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by robmypro
Here's the situation. If you floor a PDK-S in auto and you are going any speed, it will drop down to the optimal lowest gear pretty much instantaneously. It knows the lowest gear it can do at any given speed/rev range, and it can make that decision instantly. In the manual, you can mash the peddle and make the wrong decision about what gear to downshift into, then you will need a new motor. So you better know exactly what you are doing before you try that. For example, you are putting in 3rd gear totally ******* the motor going 25 mph, and you floor it while simultaneously throwing it into 1st. If you get the speed right you won't over-rev. Otherwise, get out your checkbook.

I personally would never try that stunt, which is why it is great to be able to do that same thing without risk in the PDK.
What's you're describing here is just downshifting. If you do it wrong, bad things can happen.

Are you saying you'd never downshift in a manual?

If so, then you have definitely made the right choice in sticking with PDK. I'm assuming I've somehow misunderstood you though.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:15 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
What's you're describing here is just downshifting. If you do it wrong, bad things can happen. Are you saying you'd never downshift in a manual? If so, then you have definitely made the right choice in sticking with PDK. I'm assuming I've somehow misunderstood you though.
First, yes you misunderstood. Second, I am talking about flooring the car first, then downshifting. So power-shifting while downshifting, hopefully from a low starting RPM.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
throttle is electrically controlled so it would just cut throttle electronically for a moment rather than you doing it by lifting your foot.
yes, it's not a 'no-lift' shift, it's just that the computer lifts for you, by cutting throttle when you dip clutch.
it will save someone more time, the worse they are at quick gearchanges, with minimum time off throttle.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This isn’t that hard. Upshift - no lift. Downshift - lift as normal and let the blip match the revs. I’ve done both of these - pretty cool.

Would not do a no lift downshift. If someone does (not recommending it!) - please report back
Old 03-21-2018, 09:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dalema
This isn’t that hard. Upshift - no lift. Downshift - lift as normal and let the blip match the revs. I’ve done both of these - pretty cool.

Would not do a no lift downshift. If someone does (not recommending it!) - please report back
Agree. It could get expensive.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:15 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
NO!!!! You don't need to life to shift up. But to downshift you do need to lift. However there is of course the rev-match feature.
Originally Posted by Dalema

I do personally like throttle blipping myself when downshifting, but the 991.2 GT3 is capable of doing no-lift downshifts. The manual clearly states that you do not need to take your foot off the accelerator pedal while shifting gears. If this only referred to up shifting, it would have been clearly stated.

This no lift downshift is really not useful anyway. I guess you can do it when cruising on the highway and want to downshift and accelerate quickly. Definitely useless and can't be used at the track.

Here is a short video I did today demonstrating the no-lift downshifts.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:50 AM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

I used to do no lift downshifts in my mom's VW when I was a kid (a very long time ago). I would simply make sure I was at the right speed and shift from 4th to 3rd, and the revs would go up to match the lower gear. Sometimes it worked perfectly and I got a very smooth (on power) downshift. Fun stuff.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:12 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier

yes, it's not a 'no-lift' shift, it's just that the computer lifts for you, by cutting throttle when you dip clutch.
it will save someone more time, the worse they are at quick gearchanges, with minimum time off throttle.
The Computer does not cut power when doing power-shifts. The only difference is that in Sport, it matches the RPMs and gearing speed for a smoother shift.

You can check my video here. I was doing power-shifting and heel toeing for a full session. Computer doesn’t interfere in throttle inputs as you can see on Throttle bar.

Quick Reply: No lift shift in MT 991.2 GT3