Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satin Gold wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Question- those look darker than White Gold. Do you have a side by side vs white gold??
Also- can you post close up pictures of your wheels. Thanks
Old 03-08-2018, 02:06 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

They look fabulous well done guys for being daring !!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:31 PM
air-cooledjbj
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JanisK
Hi All, very interesting thread!

We just finished working on this jet black beast - full invisible wrap in Xpel Ultimate PPF + coatings on every surface. Wheels were painted satin white gold by Porsche Reading, despite our recommendations to paint them gloss Once the car arrived it was clear they would look so much better in gloss

Interesting info here regarding spraying them and powder coating... It makes perfect sense now, because these powder coated in gloss still look satin, so good old paint it is!

Also, another thing with this finish on wheels is that they look very good in pictures - the reflections are very diffused, so you can see the shape and all the spokes very well, with gloss you loose some of that, however, in real life they just look dull in my opinion, can't beat gloss!

That's probably why this is the official finish for the wheels - so they look best in pictures

Holy **** this looks good! I'm aroused.......
Old 03-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The SHop I am dealing with is dead-set against painting vs powder coating. The durability of painting is in question
GT3 and 4 owners have reported paint chipping on their wheels. Paint would be a no go for me.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Just ordered a swatch from "Prismatic" for the Titanium Gold. This should give me a better feel for how it would look.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:40 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

So I received the swatch of Titanium Gold(TG)which is a very nice Metallic. It looks a little darker than White Gold but depending on lighting it changes back and forth from a lighter to darker tone-pretty cool though.

But- here is my dilemna. As I put the swatch on top of my Satin Aluminum(SA) I all of a sudden was not as enamored as I was before. I am thinking-Satin Aluminum looks so good against black(nice contrast) will I be sick of the TG after 6 months and then regret because I will not be able to switch them back to SA??. Also, is "Gold" wheels just a fad that will play itself out quite quickly

Here is a picture of my car with SA. All thoughts welcomed

Old 03-13-2018, 05:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

So I received the swatch of Titanium Gold(TG)which is a very nice Metallic. It looks a little darker than White Gold but depending on lighting it changes back and forth from a lighter to darker tone-pretty cool though.

But- here is my dilemna. As I put the swatch on top of my Satin Aluminum(SA) I all of a sudden was not as enamored as I was before. I am thinking-Satin Aluminum looks so good against black(nice contrast) will I be sick of the TG after 6 months and then regret because I will not be able to switch them back to SA??. Also, is "Gold" wheels just a fad that will play itself out quite quickly

didnt that already happen years ago once the Scooby WRX w/gold wheels hit the streets???
Old 03-13-2018, 05:54 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Everything makes a comeback.

Name:  photo951.jpg
Views: 8610
Size:  313.0 KBName:  photo978.jpg
Views: 8699
Size:  706.6 KBName:  photo741.jpg
Views: 8822
Size:  650.7 KB
Old 03-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

^^^ I cant think of 3 better reasons for avoiding gold anything!
Old 03-13-2018, 06:04 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
^^^ I cant think of 3 better reasons for avoiding gold anything!
There are many kinds of gold.. that's like equating miami blue is like Mexico or voodoo or gulf.. one is hideous, the others aren't.. but you could just call them all blue.

The Porsche white gold with gloss has been around for awhile, best version I remember is 997 gt3rs. Looks amazing. I would still caution against powdercoating as the result just doesn't look like painting, but to each his own.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
There are many kinds of gold.. that's like equating miami blue is like Mexico or voodoo or gulf.. one is hideous, the others aren't.. but you could just call them all blue.

The Porsche white gold with gloss has been around for awhile, best version I remember is 997 gt3rs. Looks amazing. I would still caution against powdercoating as the result just doesn't look like painting, but to each his own.
touche! - I agree (ok concede) that the 7.2RS gold was "tolerable"
Old 03-13-2018, 06:50 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

My Forgeline wheels are coated in Pearl Grey Gloss and the gloss level outstanding.

About 10 - 15 years ago Ford brought an F150 pickup painted in black powder coat to the SAE show in Detroit. They staged a black Mercedes next to it. The Ford's paint had a higher level of gloss.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:09 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Your car looks great! Up above, I showed a few different angles with titanium gold. But with your car having the 'matte' look to it... I'm not sure if you'd want the shinier wheel? Good luck with your decisions!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Ak47si
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1963SWC
I just received a set of bronze OZs from a fellow RLer. Very pleased as I felt the satin/white gold would conflict with the PCCBs. (Leaving other side stock/black until I can get out into sun for comparison pics.)
I do like the titanium gold with gloss clear coat on white though, even over PCCBs.

those are awesome set of wheels. !!!!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JanisK

Man, this is stunning! Has me thinking about doing this on my black Touring with some ghost black + yellow or gold stripes.
The following users liked this post:
slipaway37 (08-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Satin Gold wheels