Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rob’s 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:46 AM
avc2014
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts

I am sure it is the camera angle, but the pic of the GT4 next to the 3 makes it look like the Caymen is a much bigger car .
Old 03-12-2018, 10:19 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Good times Rob! That last photo is priceless.
It was Tyler! Yeah, great photo. The passion has started for that little guy.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:20 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by avc2014
I am sure it is the camera angle, but the pic of the GT4 next to the 3 makes it look like the Caymen is a much bigger car .
Yeah, it is the angle.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Also made a new Porsche fan on the way back. And yes, i gave it some love to cement his new passion!
Glad to see you are getting nice driving weather

This is exactly how it all started for me!!! Love at first site
Old 03-12-2018, 08:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I’m along for the ride :-)

27,000 now, probably hit 30,000 end of April.
hope to do some trips in CA before Rennsport..

I’ll keep running it on track until warranty runs out Sept ‘19.
Then I will make it my DD and the new one will take over track duty.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:30 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I’m along for the ride :-)

27,000 now, probably hit 30,000 end of April.
hope to do some trips in CA before Rennsport..

I’ll keep running it on track until warranty runs out Sept ‘19.
Then I will make it my DD and the new one will take over track duty.
That is awesome, Peter!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:22 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Subscribed. Car looks awesome, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:31 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Awesome, Rob! Love it when I see enthusiasts drive their car. Had 21,000 on my .1 before getting .2.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:07 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Rob, you can drive to GA for Smoky mountain gathering and rack up some miles
Old 03-13-2018, 12:24 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

^+1
Old 03-13-2018, 02:41 AM
Jim55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched a video today of a guy with almost one million miles on his 356. Even after putting 900k miles on the car himself, he still loves it. I can see myself taking the same journey, although there are not enough years left for me to put one million miles on my GT3. I do think 250k miles might be doable, but i am going to start with a modest goal of 100k miles and see how it goes. To me, “driving” is the real reward of owning a great driver’s car. It is the ultimate luxury.

Currently i have around 24,000 miles on my 2015 GT3. I am coming up on 2 years of ownership later this month. On average, i drive around 1,000 miles per month, so i need approximately 6 more years to reach my goal. Once i get to 100,000 miles i will probably shoot for 200,000, assuming the passion for the car is still there, our health is still good, and repairs haven’t put me in the poor house!

Over the next 6 years i plan on occasionally tracking the car, but the vast majority of miles will be racked up on the street. I do plan on taking some decent road trips, but most of my driving will be local driving in the state of Colorado. I will also be doing mods to the car over time, including a roll cage, headers, and eventually a wrap. I also plan on having the wheels powder coated at some point, as the rocks here in Colorado chew up these wheels pretty good.

The yearly maintenance plan includes:

- New set of tires
- 4 oil changes
- Spark plugs
- Brake fluid flush
- New air filters
- Windshield

So, why put so many miles on my GT3? First, i have zero interest in preserving the value of this car. I bought it to drive it, track it, wash it, mod it and experience everything about it. The money is already spent, and i am not saving it for the next guy. Second, I love exploring new places, and driving my GT3 is the ultimate exploration vehicle. And...i love driving. The freedom, the engagement, the sound and the speed. It is definitely my favorite hobby. Throw in a very long engine warranty, and i see no reason to avoid driving it as much as possible. And lastly, life is short. I prefer to spend my remaining years focused on the things i enjoy the most. I am also very fortunate that my wife enjoys being the passenger.

This is certainly my first, and probably my last Porsche. But who knows what the future holds. We’ll see what happens. But if you were going to own just one Porsche in your lifetime, a 911 GT3 isn’t the worst you can do.

I will try to update this thread periodically, if for no other reason but to counter the multitude of value threads. Okay, let’s kick the Road to 100k journal off. Here are a couple photos from our drive today.

This is my favorite thread. Someone doing what Porsche originally intended for their cars. Sadly a novelty in the new Porsche era. If I'm able to get an allocation for a GT3 manual I will be right there with you trying to be the 1st one with 100k miles on their GT3. Drive it, track it, clean it, fix it, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat...
Old 03-13-2018, 11:16 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Psup4s
This is exactly how it all started for me!!! Love at first site
Yep, when i was his age i played with hotwheel cars. The love for cars started long before the passion for driving was even a concept. I am driving along and look over to see this little guy just staring at the car. You could see he was like “what is this thing?!” I gave him a big smile them jumped on it. I slowed back down and his dad was smiling and giving me a big thumbs up, and the little guy was just gazing at the car. New Porsche fan!

Originally Posted by Advisor
Subscribed. Car looks awesome, thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by C2Spin
Awesome, Rob! Love it when I see enthusiasts drive their car. Had 21,000 on my .1 before getting .2.
That’s a decent amount of miles! Good for you. Enjoy the .2!

Originally Posted by Psup4s
Rob, you can drive to GA for Smoky mountain gathering and rack up some miles
If i didn’t have a family gathering that weekend i would!

Originally Posted by Alan C.
^+1
Originally Posted by Jim55
This is my favorite thread. Someone doing what Porsche originally intended for their cars. Sadly a novelty in the new Porsche era. If I'm able to get an allocation for a GT3 manual I will be right there with you trying to be the 1st one with 100k miles on their GT3. Drive it, track it, clean it, fix it, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat...
Thanks! I don’t ridicule people who use their cars differently than i do, because i understand people have different priorities, live in areas with less accessible roads, weather, etc. But i have to think the folks at PAG reading this thread are smiling.

Many happy miles with your .2! Hope you get it.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:22 AM
avc2014
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts

This thread is begging for some feedback from folks who are in the process of putting substantial mileage on their GT cars. Surely there are a few out there who have blown past the 50K mark at this point with a .1 GT3 ?
Where are you guys ?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:23 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Yep, when i was his age i played with hotwheel cars. The love for cars started long before the passion for driving was even a concept. I am driving along and look over to see this little guy just staring at the car. You could see he was like “what is this thing?!” I gave him a big smile them jumped on it. I slowed back down and his dad was smiling and giving me a big thumbs up, and the little guy was just gazing at the car. New Porsche fan!

If i didn’t have a family gathering that weekend i would!

Oh yes that little guy will always remember that "nice" porsche owner on the highway who smiled. You have fulfilled your petrol head duty by passing on this passion that will hopefully continue to strive. Guys in porsche marketing, here's a perfect idea for a commercial !

Maybe next year you can make the drive to the Smoky mountains

Old 03-18-2018, 02:12 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Took a drive to Steamboat Springs yesterday. Plenty of sun and mostly open roads, so figured what better way to spend St. Patrick’s Day then with my “two girls.”
Had lunch at Salt & Lime, opting for the tacos and green margaritas. Just crossed 25k miles.

Quick Reply: Rob’s 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles